• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: Ask your questions

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
As you may already know, some Hadith say things opposite to each other, in that case scholars call it "Naskh".
I call it "contradiction" !
You see, I don't need a lot of thinking, to realize that it is impossible that the prophet (pbuh) would order the killing of one of God's creatures in general like this. So wether the Hadith means something else, or the Last sentence is wrongly accustomed to him(as there are many versions), the point is of course that we shouldn't kill dogs and of course in my opinion the prophet would never order such action.
Good for you, I also beliveve he wouldn't, but the Hadiths are very clear, thats why i clearly reject them.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I call it "contradiction" !

Yes of course it would be, unless you understand the concept of Naskh. As i understand it it's is like this, a new rule eliminates the older one if they are concerned with the same subject and they contradict or differ obviously. I am not sure my explanation is accurate, so i'll give an example, like the case of wine in the Quran, i'm sure you know that one.

Good for you, I also believe he wouldn't, but the Hadiths are very clear, thats why i clearly reject them.

Yes of course i understand why you reject them. But for me because i believe in following Hadiths, i have to be careful which one to reject, so i only reject the ones that contradict with the quran or pure common sense and logic after i make sure i read all the interpretations of it.

Onkara

Question: To what extent is God considered to be Love in Islam?
Is it inaccurate to describe Allah as love?

Abu Rashid

Question: To what extent is God considered to be Love in Islam?
Is it inaccurate to describe Allah as love?
One of his 99 names/attributes is al-Wadood (The loving).

It would be wrong to say God is only loving, since God has many attributes.

Onkara

Do you, as a Muslim, agree or perhaps even disagree with this quote below, I am just interested in your opinion either way :) (source of quote):

(START)
Essentially, the Qur’anic position states that while Allah has decreed all things, and that His Decree is at once all-wise and impeccable, human beings have been granted freedom to choose. The freedom granted to humans, however, does not contradict Allah’s Will or Decree, as it itself is a part of Allah’s Will, since man would not have been able to choose if not for Allah’s Will.

Islam teaches us that Allah is the Creator and Sustainer of this enormous universe and everything it contains in its infinite diversity and multiplicity. He is the Lord of them all, All-Wise, All-Powerful, All-Knowing, and All-Aware. Allah has decreed all things in due proportion, balance and harmony. Allah’s creation is immaculately perfect, and there is no discrepancy or disharmony existing in the universe. Almighty Allah says: “(Blessed is He) Who has created seven heavens in tiers. You cannot see any disharmony in the All-Merciful’s creation; look again. Can you see any rift? Then look again, and yet again, your sight will return to you, vanquished and weak.” (Al-Mulk: 3-4)

Stated differently, the Divine Decree or pre-determination is part of the all-embracing knowledge, wisdom, and power of Allah as the Creator. It means that Allah’s Will is supreme, and that Allah is fully in charge of His creation. It teaches us that there is essentially one supreme Will operative in the universe, namely the supreme Will of Allah.

This is on the one hand. On the other hand, we are also taught that Allah, in accordance with His supreme Will, has appointed man as His vicegerent on earth. In His wisdom, Allah has bestowed on man intelligence, moral conscience and revelation. Allah has bestowed on him these resources in order for him to exercise freely between what is good and bad. Man is rewarded or punished based on such choices he has made.

Thus, the fact that Allah’s Decree is supreme does not contradict the fact that man has been given choice and freedom. But human freedom is not unlimited; it works within the all pervasive Will of Allah. Man’s choice is granted to him by Allah; man cannot choose without Allah’s Will; in so far he exercises his will, he does so by Allah’s Will. “But you cannot will unless Allah wills; Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise.” (Al-Insan: 30).

Let us list a few Qur’anic verses to further illuminate this concept:

“Say: ‘Truth is from your Lord’. Now whosoever will, may believe, and whosoever will, may disbelieve.” (Al-Kahf: 29). “If it had been your Lord’s will, all who are in the earth would have believed. Will you, then, force the people to become believers?” (Yunus: 99).

The above verses clearly establish the fact that human beings have the freedom to choose. So the belief in pre-determination is not opposed to man’s freedom to choose or act in the universe.

It was because of the balanced understanding concerning Divine Will and human choice that the early Muslims were the most active and dynamic in their approach to taking action to improve themselves and the society around them. Their belief in qadaa’ and qadar, instead of making them passive and complacent, acted as a powerful impetus for change. They believed that nothing in the universe could stop them if they believed in Allah and their own power to realize what is beneficial. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ‘Always entertain positive and beneficial thoughts, and seek the help of Allah in accomplishing your tasks, and never feel helpless or impotent. If, in spite of your best efforts, something does not work out the way you had planned, then simply say: that was Allah’s Will; He does what He wills. But never say to yourself: I wish I had done this or that; if it had been so, it would have been different. For such thoughts (are not ot constructive at all and) only open the door for Satan to act!’” (END)

Sahar

Agreed, of course. Every person is put in certain circumstances (tests) that are out of his control and he is given the choice of how to respond to these circumstances. By his response he creates his own circumstances as well. But no matter what we do including disobeying God, it happens by His permission. Freedom of choice that is given to us by the Creator is the law and will of the Creator. What He wants from us is to know and reach him by our own will and love without any kind of compulsion.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hi and thanks for the thread. Apologize if this has been asked; I did not review the thread. What is the Islamic view toward Christians and Jews? What does the qur'an say about how Muslims should regard them?

Onkara

May I ask, and I don't mean this negatively, but why do Mosque's have the name of Allah on the wall? e.g.

119526091_054c09d507.jpg

What is the word on your left in the picture above?

Another example:
dsc00417.JPG

Sahar

Well, various verses of the Qur'an, Allah's names, the prophet's name, Shahada...etc are usually written on mosques' walls, a decoration thing I believe.

The word on the left is محمد Muhammad.
The words in the other picture says ِAllah exalted is He or so.

Last edited:

Onkara

For a muslim does their life consist of constant correction of their behaviour through out their life or does a muslim meet a point in their spiritual life where they act only in accordance with Allah's will, without straying?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
For a muslim does their life consist of constant correction of their behaviour through out their life or does a muslim meet a point in their spiritual life where they act only in accordance with Allah's will, without straying?

Hi Onkarah :)
The faithful Muslim should always be in a constant strive (jihad) with himself to obey Allah and abide by the orders and get away from major sins. No one is perfect.

Peace

Onkara

Hi Onkarah :)
The faithful Muslim should always be in a constant strive (jihad) with himself to obey Allah and abide by the orders and get away from major sins. No one is perfect.

Peace

Hi Peace
Thanks :) Can the major sins be listed, or can one come to see these and so defeat them through striving (jihad)? I guess it isn't possible because Iblis is constant and relentless?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
How do common Muslims view the narrative and whats behind that narrative of Surah 53 (The Star), or what is infamously called 'The Satanic Verses'.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Hi Peace

These are some of the major sins:
  • Associating partners with Allah (Shirk)
  • Committing murder
  • Performing Sorcery
  • Not performing the Prayers
  • Withholding the Zakah
  • Breaking the fast of Ramadan or not fasting in that month without a valid excuse.
  • Not performing the pilgrimage when one has the ability to do so.
  • Disobeying one’s parents
  • Drinking alcoholic beverages
  • Eating carrion, blood or pork meat
  • Severing ties of kinship.
  • Committing adultery or fornication
  • Committing sodomy
  • Taking or paying interest
  • Devouring the wealth of orphans
  • Forging statements concerning Allah or forging Hadith
  • Fleeing from the battle
  • Wrongdoing, deception or oppression on the part of the ruler
  • Being arrogant, boastful and vain
  • Giving false testimony
  • Gambling
  • Slandering innocent women
  • Misappropriating something from the booty
  • Stealing
  • Making false oath
  • Committing oppression
  • Consuming forbidden wealth or taking it by any means
  • Committing suicide
  • Being a perpetual liar (3:61)
  • Engaging in bribery
  • Women appearing like men and vice-versa.
  • Being a “dayyouth.” (the one who approves the indecency of his womenfolk and who is void of jealousy or a pimp who facilitates indecency between two people.)
  • Marrying for the purpose of making a woman allowable for another.
  • Not keeping clean from the remains of urine.
  • Acting for show
  • Acquiring knowledge only for worldly gain or concealing knowledge
  • Breaching trusts
  • Reminding people of one's kindness
  • Denying predestination
  • Eavesdropping on other’s private conversation.
  • Spreading harmful tales
  • Cursing others.
  • Not fulfilling one’s promises.
  • Believing in what soothsayers & astrologers say.
  • Striking one's self, wailing, tearing one's clothing, pulling one's hair & similar deeds as a form of mourning.
  • Being overbearing or taking advantage of the weak, slaves, wives or animals
  • Harming neighbors.
  • Harming and abusing others
  • Harming the slaves of Allah.
  • Men wearing silk & gold.
  • Sacrificing animals for other than Allah.
  • Arguing or quarreling for show & not seeking the truth.
  • Not measuring weights properly
  • Thinking that one is safe from Allah’s planning
  • Harming others by manipulation one’s bequests
  • Being deceitful or deceptive
  • Spying on the Muslims & pointing out their secrets
  • Abusing or reviling anyone of the Companions of the Prophet (saw)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Do not revile my companions for, by the One in whose hands is my soul, if you were to spend in charity a mountain of gold similar to mount Uhud it would not be equal to a handful or a half a handful (or what they have done).” (Sahih al-Jami # 7187)

Onkarah said:
can one come to see these and so defeat them through striving (jihad)? I guess it isn't possible because Iblis is constant and relentless?

The above mentioned sins are major ones and the Muslim must do his best to avoid committing those sins and in case he does commit one of them he should repent and ask forgiveness from Allah.
It's very possible not to commit the major sins and one can avoid them by constant striving and by constant prayer to Allah to help him in his striving aginst the whispers of Satan and the Nafs (self).

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
How do common Muslims view the narrative and whats behind that narrative of Surah 53 (The Star), .

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

1. By the Star when it goes down,-
2. Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled.
3. Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.
4. It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:
5. He was taught by one Mighty in Power,
6. Endued with Wisdom: for he appeared (in stately form);
7. While he was in the highest part of the horizon:
8. Then he approached and came closer,
9. And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or (even) nearer;
10. So did ((Allah)) convey the inspiration to His Servant- (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.
11. The (Prophet's) (mind and) heart in no way falsified that which he saw.
12. Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he saw?
13. For indeed he saw him at a second descent,
14. Near the Lote-tree beyond which none may pass:
15. Near it is the Garden of Abode.
16. Behold, the Lote-tree was shrouded (in mystery unspeakable!)
17. (His) sight never swerved, nor did it go wrong!
18. For truly did he see, of the Signs of his Lord, the Greatest!
19. Have ye seen Lat. and 'Uzza,
20. And another, the third (goddess), Manat?
21. What! for you the male sex, and for Him, the female?
22. Behold, such would be indeed a division most unfair!
23. These are nothing but names which ye have devised,- ye and your fathers,- for which Allah has sent down no authority (whatever). They follow nothing but conjecture and what their own souls desire!- Even though there has already come to them Guidance from their Lord!
24. Nay, shall man have (just) anything he hankers after?
25. But it is to Allah that the End and the Beginning (of all things) belong.
26. How many-so-ever be the angels in the heavens, their intercession will avail nothing except after Allah has given leave for whom He pleases and that he is acceptable to Him.
27. Those who believe not in the Hereafter, name the angels with female names.
28. But they have no knowledge therein. They follow nothing but conjecture; and conjecture avails nothing against Truth.
29. Therefore shun those who turn away from Our Message and desire nothing but the life of this world.
30. That is as far as knowledge will reach them. Verily thy Lord knoweth best those who stray from His Path, and He knoweth best those who receive guidance.
31. Yea, to Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: so that He rewards those who do evil, according to their deeds, and He rewards those who do good, with what is best.
32. Those who avoid great sins and shameful deeds, only (falling into) small faults,- verily thy Lord is ample in forgiveness. He knows you well when He brings you out of the earth, And when ye are hidden in your mothers' wombs. Therefore justify not yourselves: He knows best who it is that guards against evil.
33. Seest thou one who turns back,
34. Gives a little, then hardens (his heart)?
35. What! Has he knowledge of the Unseen so that he can see?
36. Nay, is he not acquainted with what is in the Books of Moses-
37. And of Abraham who fulfilled his engagements?-
38. Namely, that no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another;
39. That man can have nothing but what he strives for;
40. That (the fruit of) his striving will soon come in sight:
41. Then will he be rewarded with a reward complete;
42. That to thy Lord is the final Goal;
43. That it is He Who granteth Laughter and Tears;
44. That it is He Who granteth Death and Life;
45. That He did create in pairs,- male and female,
46. From a seed when lodged (in its place);
47. That He hath promised a Second Creation (Raising of the Dead);
48. That it is He Who giveth wealth and satisfaction;
49. That He is the Lord of Sirius (the Mighty Star);
50. And that it is He Who destroyed the (powerful) ancient 'Ad (people),
51. And the Thamud nor gave them a lease of perpetual life.
52. And before them, the people of Noah, for that they were (all) most unjust and most insolent transgressors,
53. And He destroyed the Overthrown Cities (of Sodom and Gomorrah).
54. So that (ruins unknown) have covered them up.
55. Then which of the gifts of thy Lord, (O man,) wilt thou dispute about?
56. This is a Warner, of the (series of) Warners of old!
57. The (Judgment) ever approaching draws nigh:
58. No (soul) but Allah can lay it bare.
59. Do ye then wonder at this recital?
60. And will ye laugh and not weep,-
61. Wasting your time in vanities? 62. But fall ye down in prostration to Allah, and adore (Him)!

What do you want to know exactly?
The opening of this chapter talks about the night that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him ascends to Heaven.

or what is infamously called 'The Satanic Verses'

Who call it so ? :confused:

nameless

The Creator
peace, why there is double punishment for a sin? one according to shariah law and other one the everlasting torture in hell......

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
peace, why there is double punishment for a sin? one according to shariah law and other one the everlasting torture in hell......

Not all sins have double punishment. If for examble one lies or cuts kinship ties or eats pork, are we going to put him in jail? of course no. However, God will punish him for that if he doesn't repent and ask for forgivenss.
If someone committed a crime or robbery then in that case he will be punished in this life and the hereafter. However, if he repents he won't be punished in the hereafter since he received his punishment in this life.