• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam, how much do you really know about it?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I doubt any, due to the fact that it is the "correct/true religion". :rolleyes:

Generally, any Muslim that I have asked this question to has said they do not need to study into other religions, because theirs is the true one. :cover: A little bit unfair, wouldn't you say?

I don't get that feeling from Eselam. I get the feeling that he has done research and read scientific journals. It's just it seems like the only ones he reads, or at least the only ones he pays attention to, are the ones that agree with his religion.

He does know how to think, I'll give him that.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
He does know how to think, I agree. :)

I was, however not referring to scientific journals, but religious scripture. I apologize if I missed that out.

However in response to your sentence, is reading or paying attention to only things that agree with what one believes a good or desirable trait?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
He does know how to think, I agree. :)

I was, however not referring to scientific journals, but religious scripture. I apologize if I missed that out.

However in response to your sentence, is reading or paying attention to only things that agree with what one believes a good or desirable trait?

Isn't that, in the end, what we all do?

If I were to look at the sources that Eselam is reading, which I think isn't limited to the Qur'an (a book that I actually find very beautiful so far), I wouldn't really pay attention to them. I also don't have the means to actually preform the tests that scientists have made to further the study of evolution; all I have are third-hand sources, which for all I know could be forgeries. There could also be a number of new hoaxes in the study of evolution that haven't been exposed yet, and are accepted by scientists.

The reason I believe in the theory of evolution isn't because it's what I've read, but because of that annoying flu bug that keeps adapting to whatever medication we give it!

challupa

The reason I believe in the theory of evolution isn't because it's what I've read, but because of that annoying flu bug that keeps adapting to whatever medication we give it!
LOL Now isn't that the truth!! We don't have to read anything to know that bug is evolving and quickly.

But also, take all the insects that have evolved to being immune to the poisons we have used on them forever. We keep having to create more insecticides all the time because insects don't know they're supposed to die when we spray them with the old ones. I have never been able to understand anyone that says evolution is not happening and we can't give any proof of it. :no:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Isn't that, in the end, what we all do?
Not me! Not if I can help it, anyway. I read, and then consider, and then look for proofs, and then decide. If I can, anyway.

If I were to look at the sources that Eselam is reading, which I think isn't limited to the Qur'an (a book that I actually find very beautiful so far), I wouldn't really pay attention to them. I also don't have the means to actually preform the tests that scientists have made to further the study of evolution; all I have are third-hand sources, which for all I know could be forgeries. There could also be a number of new hoaxes in the study of evolution that haven't been exposed yet, and are accepted by scientists.
True, but you can still ponder them, criticise them, and think deeply about them - the most important reason is "Why?". Why do they think this? How have they got there? What evidence do they have? :)

LOL, at least you're honest!

Luminous

non-existential luminary
LOL Now isn't that the truth!! We don't have to read anything to know that bug is evolving and quickly.

But also, take all the insects that have evolved to being immune to the poisons we have used on them forever. We keep having to create more insecticides all the time because insects don't know they're supposed to die when we spray them with the old ones. I have never been able to understand anyone that says evolution is not happening and we can't give any proof of it. :no:
I agree with you challupa, very insightful.

"[throughout history] crocodiles have been more worshiped than Jesus" - Lake Placid.

Sententia

Generally, any Muslim that I have asked this question to has said they do not need to study into other religions, because theirs is the true one. :cover: A little bit unfair, wouldn't you say?

Its not just islam, most religious people in my experience say their religion is the true one. They just know.

ThereIsNoSpoon

I don't get that feeling from Eselam. I get the feeling that he has done research and read scientific journals. It's just it seems like the only ones he reads, or at least the only ones he pays attention to, are the ones that agree with his religion.

He does know how to think, I'll give him that.
My guess is that he read Harun Yahya, my most famous modern imposter.
My second guess would be that he has scanned through the quran and science sites like "Is it truth" (IT-IS-TRUTH :: Welcome to the Truth), my second most famous imposters.

I have had many debates and dicsussions with both including scientists mentioned by them in their articles and books. It is a devastating picture that arose from that.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
And what books did you read so far ?

these

"Kur'an", "the footsteps of Muhammed (saws)", "scientific facts from the kur'an", "muhammed, the messenger of Allah"

i think they are right, well the first one definately is but the others are kind of similar if not correct.

i do not need to read mush, i can get heaps of info from a samll book, i have read the Kur'an mostly, but i read it carefully nad interpret all the verses from diferent perspectives, thus i get 10 time more knowledge. i ty to understand what it is for, for who, why is it said, what does it reffer to, etc. i do that whith all books, even though i barely read any

can i ask your interest in this, and i am also reading "the evolution deceit"

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

nice answer but not true, it is the information that i got from the kur'an that i have been able to understand that islam it the only true religion, not because someone says so nor because i say so, but because the cold hard facts say so. and they need to be understanded in order to be beleived.

ThereIsNoSpoon

these

"Kur'an", "the footsteps of Muhammed (saws)", "scientific facts from the kur'an", "muhammed, the messenger of Allah"

i think they are right, well the first one definately is but the others are kind of similar if not correct.

i do not need to read mush, i can get heaps of info from a samll book, i have read the Kur'an mostly, but i read it carefully nad interpret all the verses from diferent perspectives, thus i get 10 time more knowledge. i ty to understand what it is for, for who, why is it said, what does it reffer to, etc. i do that whith all books, even though i barely read any

can i ask your interest in this, and i am also reading "the evolution deceit"
In one thread you spoke about people becoming less smart.
Here in this one you said (i quoted it already before):
someone is born into a christian family, then he will grow up with that faith but then once they start understanding things, ie. at teenage years, or even older, they have a mind of their own to decide which is best. research is the best word and books.
I took that as a statement meaning that people should do research and learn by books in order to understand what is right and what is wrong. And i think you mean that people ought to read islamic books to understand islam and see the truth, is that correct ?

So i asked you what books you have read so far. Now you listed a few, none of which are nonislamic. Is this correct as well ?

PS: The evolutin deceit is by Harun Yayha. Not really a serious book (or man) to read.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
nice answer but not true, it is the information that i got from the kur'an that i have been able to understand that islam it the only true religion, not because someone says so nor because i say so, but because the cold hard facts say so. and they need to be understanded in order to be beleived.
Hmmm, can I see these cold hard facts then, please?
It would be very helpful to my spiritual search if I could get some cold hard facts that Islam is the only true religion.

challupa

I have a question about Islam. I wish to understand why Islam believes it is the true religion as you have stated in your posts? I have talked with Christians who believe that, Jews who believe that, and as being from none of those religions you can understand why I have a hard time believing any of these religions can be the true religion. Do you understand what I mean. With the thousands of religious beliefs in the world, is it not naive to believe that only Islam got it right? I mean, why would Allah or God limit humanity to one belief system? He/she cannot be defined so when one religion says they are the true religion, that makes me think Islam has defined God. What do you think of that?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
one question to everyone, when did this thread become about ME.
Never :sarcastic.
since you wrote it and you can only truely represent yourself (it is about you and your version of 'surrendering' to God's Will.)

Last edited:

Paix

Dear friend Eselam I have a question for you.

If I become muslim and I want to marry a women, would the women need to convert to Islam too?

SATYAKI

Yup, reminds me of the Chinese fable of ' The frog in the shallow well '. :D