• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is possible that Jesus sinned.

CMike

Yah, except according to orthodox Xtian teaching, Jesus is fully G-D, and that G-D is one God in three Persons, so therefore is not a "different God."

Where do I even start? There is so much contradictory material.

• Jesus said you must pray through him to get to G-D. Thus stating he is a different entity
  • Jesus said he prayed to G-D. Thus stating he is a different entity
  • Jesus when he was executed asked G-D "why have you forsaken me" Thus stating he is a different entity
Jesus made it clear that he is a different divinical entity

And if the teaching is correct, then it seems to me that G-D is fully capable of fulfilling laws that G-D gave.

Yeah, but it's not. Jesus proclaimed himself a different divinical entity by the above statements.

From Deuteronomy "The Lo-rd is our G-D, the L-rd is one.

So this god three stuff is all christian inventions that directly contradict the numerous passages where G-D said he was One and to trust only him.

And, if the teaching is correct, then G-D cannot challenge G-D's authority -- no matter what Person we're dealing with

I don't know about your god, but my G-D is extremely powerful. A bunch of Romans wouldn't be able to execute him.

The G-D of the jews put a protective cloud over the jews to protect them. The G-D of the jews protected Moses from being killed.

The god became man thing really makes no logical sense.

Plus, "fulfilling" =/= "changing."

There is no changing. G-D said not to add nor subtract from the law.

Therefore, by creating his own law, he is directly challenging G-D, the real one.

Sorry. I don't see it. If you're going to argue "Jesus," then Jesus must be argued from a Xtian POV, since Jesus is only available through a Xtian POV to begin with. And the Xtian POV is that Jesus is fully God. God cannot, by definition, sin against God's self.

Then I'm sure you would agree that the Torah may only be interpreted from a jewish point of view, correct?

The title of the thread is tdid jesus sin? The answer is yes.

He sinned greatly by proclaiming himself a god and trying to lead jews astray to worship him.

There is only one G-D, and only he can be worshipped. Anything else is considered idol worship according to the Torah.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Jesus said you must pray through him to get to G-D. Thus stating he is a different entity
Jesus said he prayed to G-D. Thus stating he is a different entity
Jesus when he was executed asked G-D "why have you forsaken me" Thus stating he is a different entity
Jesus made it clear that he is a different divinical entity
What's clear is that you don't understand either the texts or the doctrine well enough to critique either.

Jesus said that we must come to the Father through him (the Son). Jesus said that he prayed to the Father.

Jesus was quoting psalm 22 -- not speaking directly to God.
Yeah, but it's not. Jesus proclaimed himself a different divinical entity by the above statements.
BZZZZZZZT
Thanks for playing.
From Deuteronomy "The Lo-rd is our G-D, the L-rd is one.

So this god three stuff is all christian inventions that directly contradict the numerous passages where G-D said he was One and to trust only him.
the Trinity doctrine also asserts that God is one. Your point is moot.
I don't know about your god, but my G-D is extremely powerful. A bunch of Romans wouldn't be able to execute him.
God is powerful enough to limit that power enough to become Incarnate and reconcile humanity. God is powerful enough to overcome death through resurrection.
The G-D of the jews put a protective cloud over the jews to protect them. The G-D of the jews protected Moses from being killed.
The God of the Jews protected humanity by reconciling humanity.
The god became man thing really makes no logical sense.
Huh. The whole God thing really makes no logical sense, so I don't see your point.
There is no changing. G-D said not to add nor subtract from the law.
Who added or subtracted? "Fulfilling" =/= "adding/subtracting."
Therefore, by creating his own law, he is directly challenging G-D, the real one.
What "his own law" did Jesus create?
Then I'm sure you would agree that the Torah may only be interpreted from a jewish point of view, correct?
Well... it's your Law, so that only makes sense. But Torah only applies to Jews. The great preponderance of Xy is Gentile, so Torah, in it's literal sense, does not apply to most of us.
The title of the thread is tdid jesus sin? The answer is yes.
You've yet to show that he did.
He sinned greatly by proclaiming himself a god and trying to lead jews astray to worship him.
Where did Jesus "proclaim himself a god?" Book,chapter, verse, plz.
There is only one G-D, and only he can be worshipped.
Jesus said the same thing. So does the Church.
Anything else is considered idol worship according to the Torah.
Nobody's worshiping anyone but God.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Sojourner's right. There are an increasing number of Christians who are now saying Jesus isn't G-d and didn't say He was G-d. Also, I've been doing a lot of researching and virtually everything that Jesus taught was also in the Tanakh. Some differences include divorce (it is allowed in the Torah, but Jesus said it shouldn't be done). But when Jesus prayed, He only prayed to G-D.

Awoon

Sojourner's right. There are an increasing number of Christians who are now saying Jesus isn't G-d and didn't say He was G-d. Also, I've been doing a lot of researching and virtually everything that Jesus taught was also in the Tanakh. Some differences include divorce (it is allowed in the Torah, but Jesus said it shouldn't be done). But when Jesus prayed, He only prayed to G-D.

Did Jesus explain he reason against divorce? It was simple for a husband to put away his wife in ancient times because women were property. Women weren't skilled in work, couldn't read or write. So for a husband to just divorce his wife for any reason would hurtful to her and society . She would most likely end up in prostitution. Jesus wasn't against divorce for proper reasons.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
As a child and teenager I read furiously but had no education. It wasn't until young adulthood that I began to put together an historical and geographical picture of the world. Suddenly things began to crystalize. If I read 'A Tale of Two Cities' now it wasn't a magical, mythical story in some unspecified time and place but rather it was a series of events set in the French Revolution.

Likewise with the gospel story. If it really happened, it happened in a time and a place. We know the place, but what about the time?

So I'm trying to figure that out. Right now it is seeming to me that Paul wouldn't have had time to persecute Christians unless there were Christians around 0-10 CE.

The problem is that the French revolution happened less than 400 years ago, during a time, when a larger percentage of the population was could read and write, and thus more accurately accord the events of the time. Not to mention the fact that we still have entire first hand documents written to record the event.

The Bible was recorded during a time when most could not read or write, and most of the original documents that we have today exist only in fragments.

How do you get 0 - 10 CE? Jesus was crucified anywhere between 30 -36 AD. Paul's conversion occured somewhere between 35 - 40 AD. That leaves a time period of anywhere between 1 to 10 years for him to persecute Christians.

Also many consider Paul to be a Pharisee, so it is quite possible that he persecuted Christians (Jesus' followers) while Jesus was actually alive, as the Pharisees were one of the groups that Jesus outwardly spoke against.

LOL, or maybe Jesus was speaking about that particular God, and others perverted his message?

Did Jesus explain he reason against divorce? It was simple for a husband to put away his wife in ancient times because women were property. Women weren't skilled in work, couldn't read or write. So for a husband to just divorce his wife for any reason would hurtful to her and society . She would most likely end up in prostitution. Jesus wasn't against divorce for proper reasons.

Why would you think this wasn't the reason Jesus was against divorce? He obviously had sympathy for the plight of women according to scriptural passages. What "unproper" reasons do you think Jesus had for being against divorce during that time period?

AmbiguousGuy

The problem is that the French revolution happened less than 400 years ago, during a time, when a larger percentage of the population was could read and write, and thus more accurately accord the events of the time. Not to mention the fact that we still have entire first hand documents written to record the event.

If we can't put first-century Biblical events into some kind of rough order, with some kind of rough time-range, then those events seem like myth to me -- a story unattached to the physical, historical world.

But I'm criticized and attacked for suggesting that Jesus was probably not historical.

So I'm asking if anyone can line up those events for me in a way which makes sense. For example, if Saul was a young man, in Jerusalem, for the stoning of Stephen, then in what year could that possibly have happened? I sure can't make sense of it. Can you?

How do you get 0 - 10 CE? Jesus was crucified anywhere between 30 -36 AD. Paul's conversion occured somewhere between 35 - 40 AD. That leaves a time period of anywhere between 1 to 10 years for him to persecute Christians.

I started a thread in this forum (I think) called 'Jesus/Paul Questions.' There's a challenge to arrange 7-8 events in chronological order, with rough dates. (Or to mark them as probably false events.)

Maybe you could look at that if you're interested.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Do you agree or disagree with this debate?

My first thought reading your post is why and how there can be any debate about something absolute and non-subjective as sin. Isn't sin sin? How can morality, ethics, sin, etc be built only on an supposed absolute construct through a literal holy book and a holy spirit guiding people be questioned or even discussed? It should resolve itself just by stating it. No?

Obviously the concept of "sin" is convoluted and vague, or this would never have been an issue.

roger1440

I do stuff
This may explain a little:

Grounds for Divorce in God's Law
Matthew 19 Commentary - Grounds for Divorce in God's Law - BibleGateway.com

CMike

What's clear is that you don't understand either the texts or the doctrine well enough to critique either.

Jesus said that we must come to the Father through him (the Son). Jesus said that he prayed to the Father.

That is exactly my point. Jesus claims he is a different divinical entity. Since he claimed to be "the Son".

However, G-D said he is One, and there is only him. Therefore, he is challenging G-D.

Jesus was quoting psalm 22 -- not speaking directly to God.

There are numerous things to quote from.

"Why have you forsaken me?" is a really whimpy thing to say.

The true great jewish people when being executed proclaimed "Hear O'Israel, the L-rd is our G-D, the L-rd is One.

Aside from being really wimpy, he was talking to G-D, another entity. He wasn't asking himself why have you forsaken me? That would be silly, wouldn't you agree?

the Trinity doctrine also asserts that God is one. Your point is moot.

It can assert anything, however, there are three distinct entities (gods).

God is powerful enough to limit that power enough to become Incarnate and reconcile humanity. God is powerful enough to overcome death through resurrection.

G-d can do anything. However, why would he want too?

Reconcile humanity? He doesn't have to reconcile anthing, he crated it.

The God of the Jews protected humanity by reconciling humanity.

What? :eek:

Huh. The whole God thing really makes no logical sense, so I don't see your point.

At least our G-D doesn't blatantly contradict himself.

Who added or subtracted? "Fulfilling" =/= "adding/subtracting."

What "his own law" did Jesus create?

Stating that he "fulfilled the law". He is substracting from the law.

Well... it's your Law, so that only makes sense. But Torah only applies to Jews. The great preponderance of Xy is Gentile, so Torah, in it's literal sense, does not apply to most of us.

Please remember the next time christians go into the five books of Moses, Prophets, and Scriptures and start recreating it to add jesus in.

Remember the Tanach must be only be based on a jewish point of view.

Where did Jesus "proclaim himself a god?" Book,chapter, verse, plz.

I thought you just wrote that he was god? :shrug:

That he absolved everyone of their sins

That people must go through him to get to G-D

That he is the "son of god"

That he performed miracles, rather than G-d performing miracles

All these things were him making himself a divine entity which he wasn't. There is only one G-D.

roger1440

I do stuff
Someone once wrote, “The family is the cornerstone of society.” God’s law does preserve the family unit. There are times though a couple is better to split up rather than stay together. During Jesus’s time a very poplar Rabbi by the name Hillel believed a man could divorce his wife for something as trivial as burning his toast. If I understand Hillel correctly, sorry to say, he was wrong. Divorce comes with a price. There are a higher percentage of fatherless men in prison then there is in the general population. There is a higher percentage of teen pregnancies among fatherless girls then there is among girls from a intact family.