• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not all bad.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's not a threat. I just find it appalling that someone who apparently is living a relatively easy life could have the nerve to suppose his good fortune is all his own doing. That's an insult to all those who are suffering, and an insult to God.
Well, it's comforting to know that someone can speak on God's behalf.
:rolleyes:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm glad you thoroughly researched the correlation between religion and social/economic backgrounds. I can always rely on your scholarly postings in hopes of finding my way out of this living hell of being a man of faith. When you don't post something, I cry myself to sleep, haunted by thoughts such as "How am I ever going to learn that this religion I follow causes me to be violent, stupid, and downright harmful to society, without LogDog's insightful postings? Will I ever get out? Oh Science, please help me in this, in my hour of most need..."

In all seriousness though, LogDog, I have never seen a larger ego. Congrats and frubals!

~matthew.william~
You know, I used to be Logdog. I changed. All it takes is a little bit of patience.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to add something to the thread?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
:)If it were true what was said in the OP, then why do I believe God when I am happy, too? People would not need a delusion if they are happy, and they still love God during good times, too. That makes that argument a bit weak.

You know, I used to be Logdog. I changed. All it takes is a little bit of patience.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to add something to the thread?

The thing is Willamena, It's not a serious thread. It's a troll thread. It's purpose is to generally annoy. His posts are just to insult those of us who are religious, and nothing else.

As for adding something constructive, I, in a sarcastic manner, stated that I find he doesn't research his postings, and I find his unwillingness to do so, egotistical.

I find most people have been more than patient with him, but his postings have become more and more vitriolic, and less and less intellectual.

~matthew.william~

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
Suffering believers. Prosperous atheists. Oh, the irony. Maybe your Cosmic Zombie lover has a soft spot for us heretics?
Religion is where the money is. Some of the most wealthy and powerful men in America are Christian leaders. People such as Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, Bob Larson, and other's, are very rich, and can easily get there followers to send them more money.
How many atheist can send out letters asking for money for a private jet to convert people in another nation? And get the money for it?

Popeyesays

Religion is where the money is. Some of the most wealthy and powerful men in America are Christian leaders. People such as Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, Bob Larson, and other's, are very rich, and can easily get there followers to send them more money.
How many atheist can send out letters asking for money for a private jet to convert people in another nation? And get the money for it?

Well, politicians are pretty good at it, but public office demands better record-keeping to stay out of jail.

To solicit funds successfully one needs a "cause" it can be religion, or politics, or human rights, or -- when all is said and done you can sell stock in an enterprise -- it's all the same thing.

Regards,
Scott

Hope

Princesinha
Suffering believers. Prosperous atheists. Oh, the irony. Maybe your Cosmic Zombie lover has a soft spot for us heretics?

I don't know you, so I'm doing my best not to judge you here. For all I know, this could be your idea of a joke, and you are laughing heartily at our expense.

Regardless, your attitude is gut-wrenchingly sad.

I am going through my own period of suffering right now, and if there's one thing I'm learning about suffering, it's this: it's a blessing in disguise. Suffering and pain produce depth and nobility of character. Some of the most beautiful people I know are those who have been through immense suffering.

Those who seek an easy life seek a shallow life, lacking luster. A beautiful diamond doesn't get that way without chipping, cutting, and breaking. Pearls don't become pearls without the irritation of the sand. Smooth, pretty pebbles on a beach don't get that way without the turbulent waves constantly crashing over them. I could list so many analogies that show how pain can be beneficial.

So, no. I think perhaps your "cosmic zombie lover" might actually be showing the greater kindness and favor to the ones going through hardship and pain.

rojse

RF Addict

Whether LogDog is being a troll or not in this thread, he does raise several important points in this regard.

Firstly, is there an inverse correlation between material success and belief?

Secondly, if this is the case, why would God allow non-believers material success, and those that do believe not to be successful in life? Even if this is not the case, why would he allow some people of no religious standing, to be successful?

And that goes for other religions, too. If God is the Christian god, why would he allow believers of other religions to prosper, such as Satanists or Pagans? (No offense meant to anyone that follows these religions).

Popeyesays

There is no correlation between religious belief and prosperity.

God is not interested in HOW prosperous any one person might be, just that the universe provide enough for all. If people desire to squabble over that which they will lose upon their death anyway, that's their business.

There is only God, God of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Zoroastrians, Animists, Sabaeans, Pagans, Daoists, Baha`i's Hindus, Shintoists, Buddhists, atheists and those who cannot make up their minds: One Creator, One God.

Regards,
Scott

Jeremiah

I am going through my own period of suffering right now, and if there's one thing I'm learning about suffering, it's this: it's a blessing in disguise. Suffering and pain produce depth and nobility of character. Some of the most beautiful people I know are those who have been through immense suffering.

There are losses in this world that can not be justified.

Hope

Princesinha
Whether LogDog is being a troll or not in this thread, he does raise several important points in this regard.

Firstly, is there an inverse correlation between material success and belief?

Sometimes, but not always.

Secondly, if this is the case, why would God allow non-believers material success, and those that do believe not to be successful in life? Even if this is not the case, why would he allow some people of no religious standing, to be successful?

And that goes for other religions, too. If God is the Christian god, why would he allow believers of other religions to prosper, such as Satanists or Pagans? (No offense meant to anyone that follows these religions).

Because God is a God of mercy. Besides, real success in life has nothing to do with material gain, but everything to do with one's peace and contentment regardless of one's circumstances. I consider all the poor people I know in Brazil who are happy with their families and friends and small houses, far more successful than a rich businessman here in the US who has everything he could want materially and yet still wants more.

Hope

Princesinha
Actually, it is those Scientists and Nobel Prize winners who allow us to thrive in life, not grace.

And it is grace that gives them the brains to help us thrive. ;) Besides, no amount of human genius can eradicate suffering.

No matter how you look at it, everything still goes back to God. It is sheer arrogance to assume we tiny humans are in complete control of our own lives.

Hope

Princesinha
There are losses in this world that can not be justified.

I won't argue with that.

Nevertheless, how each of us responds to loss and suffering determines the greatness of our character. We are only victims if we allow ourselves to be.

Popeyesays

I won't argue with that.

Nevertheless, how each of us responds to loss and suffering determines the greatness of our character. We are only victims if we allow ourselves to be.

It's not a very smart statement, for sure.

EVERYBODY dies, if one has left any mark at all behind among other people there will be loss with everyone's death.

John Donne put it "No man is an Island . . ."

Everyone must deal with loss, so no loss cannot be overcome.

Regards,
Scott

Hope

Princesinha
It's not a very smart statement, for sure.

EVERYBODY dies, if one has left any mark at all behind among other people there will be loss with everyone's death.

John Donne put it "No man is an Island . . ."

Everyone must deal with loss, so no loss cannot be overcome.

Regards,
Scott

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

Did I say loss could be overcome???

Popeyesays

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

Did I say loss could be overcome???

Sorry, justified, not overcome--though it's both.

Death is, whether one justifies it or not, one will die. That is the way of Creation--beginnings and endings.

The same applies to sickness, separation, etc.. it is a common condition. To say that some losses cannot be justified is an empty statement logically because someone can justify them, though not necessarily to another's satisfaction.

Regards,
Scott

UnTheist

And it is grace that gives them the brains to help us thrive.
Doesn't matter. Those Scientists could have done nothing to help Humanity, but they did anyway. God gets credit for creating us, nothing more.
Besides, no amount of human genius can eradicate suffering.
Nope. But they can reduce it, and they have a great track record of doing it. Without God.
No matter how you look at it, everything still goes back to God.
Yes. The good and the bad. Oh wait, God isn't responsible for the bad. It was"God's will"
It is sheer arrogance to assume we tiny humans are in complete control of our own lives.
It is also arrogant to think Christians are the center of the universe, which to God, you are.

Jeremiah

And it is grace that gives them the brains to help us thrive. ;) Besides, no amount of human genius can eradicate suffering.

No matter how you look at it, everything still goes back to God. It is sheer arrogance to assume we tiny humans are in complete control of our own lives.

It is also arrogant to declare God loves us.