• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not all bad.

UnTheist

What does God care about credit?
The entire argument started with Hope saying that God is the only reason that we are living better lives than we use to. I said it was the Humans that gave us better lives.
This life is the chance to make your own credit on your own bat--go for it. But if you require resources to amass that credit, where di the resources come from? What Scientist has created a hydrogen atom from nothing?
Where did I say that Humans should get credit for creating atoms from nothing?

Popeyesays

The entire argument started with Hope saying that God is the only reason that we are living better lives than we use to. I said it was the Humans that gave us better lives. Where did I say that Humans should get credit for creating atoms from nothing?

In a sense Hope is right, in a sense you are. It's a POV matter.

You did not say humans should get credit for creating atoms from nothing, but that is not something humans are capable of.

In other words, Without the resources at our hands as a result of the Creation of the universes, we would have no ability to make anything. We would, in fact, not exist at all since the universe provides us the means to exist physically--air, water, gravity, energy from a star, etc., etc.

regards,
Scott

UnTheist

In other words, Without the resources at our hands as a result of the Creation of the universes, we would have no ability to make anything. We would, in fact, not exist at all since the universe provides us the means to exist physically--air, water, gravity, energy from a star, etc., etc. Scott
Right. Give god the credit for creating us (which isn't that difficult at all for a god to do) and give the Humans credit for doing something useful out of their existence. We are the ones that suffer for everything we do and everything that happens to us.

Popeyesays

Right. Give god the credit for creating us (which isn't that difficult at all for a god to do) and give the Humans credit for doing something useful out of their existence. We are the ones that suffer for everything we do and everything that happens to us.

Bingo! We are also the ones who get to enjoy what we do and everything that happens when it is appropriate to take joy in it. It is an equal opportunity world that God gave us, and what comes of it all is the result of what we choose to do.

regards,
Scott

Hope

Princesinha
The fact that Christians go to Heaven, and everyone else goes to Hell. God cares about nothing more than his children. I proved my point.

This still doesn't mean Christians are the center of the universe. :confused: God is the center of the universe. You didn't prove your point at all.

rojse

RF Addict
Yes it does.
There is more then enough food for everybody on the planet.
There is more then enough water for everybody on the planet. We have a problem of logistics, not quantity.
And the universe has essentially infinite resources.

Rubbish.

How many places in the universe have fresh drinking water? Or topsoil to grow crops?

Logistics is a huge problem, not so easily dismissed. You need to pay to move the resources, and that costs money for fuel, for transportation, and for the driver/shipper/pilot.

If everyone in the world wanted to live the affluent American lifestyle (this is applicable for many other first-world countries, but America was the comparison given) we would need five earth-like planets.

I'll go look for the website that states this, along with the quiz.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't believe in "hell" either. It is actually sheol, which is the grave. There is no place of eternal torment in my view of things. The "fire" that is talked about is symbolic. The chaff of wheat is burned and so is a tree that no longer bears fruit, it certainly does not mean people are burned.
The way I see it, hell is a separation from God. God does not separate Himself from people, it is the person who separates himself from God.

Hope

Princesinha
Which of course isn't the point. God loves nothing more than His children. Nothing. Therefore you (his child) are the center of the universe. By that I mean you are more important than everything else He created.

Ok, fair enough. But the only reason you are not "God's child" is because you choose not to be. So that can't be blamed on God and Christians. So, get over it.:p

Popeyesays

I don't believe in "hell" either. It is actually sheol, which is the grave. There is no place of eternal torment in my view of things. The "fire" that is talked about is symbolic. The chaff of wheat is burned and so is a tree that no longer bears fruit, it certainly does not mean people are burned.
The way I see it, hell is a separation from God. God does not separate Himself from people, it is the person who separates himself from God.

And self-separation is not eternal.

"And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of 156 God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station. The honor with which the Hand of Mercy will invest the soul is such as no tongue can adequately reveal, nor any other earthly agency describe. Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world."
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 155)

Please note this is a reference to the souls of all humanity. Those are particularly blessed who at the moment of death have already attained this state, but that state is not limited in its availability. We will all come to share that station--eventually--after progressing through all the worlds (material and spiritual) of God.

Regards,
Scott

LogDog

Ok, fair enough. But the only reason you are not "God's child" is because you choose not to be. So that can't be blamed on God and Christians. So, get over it.:p

I'm not one of "gods children" because I'm unable to grant religion a free pass. I'm unwilling to forgo applying the same critical thinking and skepticism to supernatural claims that I apply to other natural claims I'm presented with.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I'm not one of "gods children" because I'm unable to grant religion a free pass. I'm unwilling to forgo applying the same critical thinking and skepticism to supernatural claims that I apply to other natural claims I'm presented with.

I may be wrong, but it seems that you blame all of the world's problems on religion. I am different, I blame the world's problems on people. People are individuals- Some are good, some are evil (as to who is evil, I leave to God to judge). People are imperfect, so the world is going to be imperfect and all made groups are going to be imperfect. You can't just blame one group of people or all the members of a group of people.
Religion is just a scapegoat for all your complaints of the world.

If you can't give religion a free pass, then you cannot give anything else man-made a free pass either. That includes governments and anything else you can think of. :angel2:
I certainly hope you have a great day.

LogDog

I may be wrong, but it seems that you blame all of the world's problems on religion.

You are.

People are imperfect, so the world is going to be imperfect and all made groups are going to be imperfect.

Your perfect god created something less than perfect?

You can't just blame one group of people or all the members of a group of people.

Actually, I'll blame whomever or whatever I want.

Religion is just a scapegoat for all your complaints of the world.

Religion just has a big target painted on it.

If you can't give religion a free pass, then you cannot give anything else man-made a free pass either.

Don't worry. I won't.

I certainly hope you have a great day.

Ditto.