• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...............JEHOVAH!.................

I Am Hugh

Researcher
There is also nothing in it which contradicts biblical teaching. I don't believe that it's made up of fables and myths.

"the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas ascribes a number of strange utterances to Jesus, such as saying that he would transform Mary into a male to make it possible for her to enter into the Kingdom of heaven. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas describes young Jesus as a mean-spirited child who deliberately caused another child’s death. The apocryphal Acts of Paul and Acts of Peter emphasize complete abstinence from sexual relations and even depict the apostles as urging women to separate from their husbands. The Gospel of Judas depicts Jesus as laughing at his disciples for praying to God in connection with a meal. Such notions are at odds with what is found in the canonical books. (Mark 14:22; 1 Corinthians 7:3-5; Galatians 3:28; Hebrews 7:26)

Many of the apocryphal writings reflect beliefs of the Gnostics, who held that the Creator, Jehovah, is not a good God. They also believed that the resurrection is not literal, that all physical matter is evil, and that Satan was the source of marriage and procreation." Source

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
"the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas ascribes a number of strange utterances to Jesus, such as saying that he would transform Mary into a male to make it possible for her to enter into the Kingdom of heaven. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas describes young Jesus as a mean-spirited child who deliberately caused another child’s death. The apocryphal Acts of Paul and Acts of Peter emphasize complete abstinence from sexual relations and even depict the apostles as urging women to separate from their husbands. The Gospel of Judas depicts Jesus as laughing at his disciples for praying to God in connection with a meal. Such notions are at odds with what is found in the canonical books. (Mark 14:22; 1 Corinthians 7:3-5; Galatians 3:28; Hebrews 7:26)

Many of the apocryphal writings reflect beliefs of the Gnostics, who held that the Creator, Jehovah, is not a good God. They also believed that the resurrection is not literal, that all physical matter is evil, and that Satan was the source of marriage and procreation." Source
I am talking about the 7 books of the bible called the Apocrypha which many Protestant bibles have removed. That was the question, not "apocryphal books."

Questioning

*Banned*
Ex7Jh1.jpg

Coder

"The early Israelites were polytheistic and worshipped Yahweh alongside a variety of Canaanite gods and goddesses, including El, Asherah and Baal."

"Characteristics of other gods, such as Asherah and Baal, were also selectively "absorbed" in conceptions of Yahweh."

"Over time the existence of other gods was denied, and Yahweh was proclaimed the creator deity and sole divinity to be worshipped. During the Second Temple period, speaking the name of Yahweh in public became regarded as taboo,..."

Last edited:

Coder

True!

I don't believe in the Trinity. However, if I did, the lack of certain specific words would be of little relevance, because concepts can be gleaned without specific words being present. Models of belief can vary. Does the model of belief that you use, require that a literal word must be found in the Bible, or the concept cannot be spoken about? If that is your belief, then I certainly respect your right to use that model. Others may not have the same model of belief.

Also, the Catholic Church that defined the trinity, has also stated that their teaching is authoritative on par with the Bible. Scripture and Sacred Tradition. So in that religion, what anyone says about their beliefs is irrelevant to them, because they don't use only Scripture and in fact the Catholic Church decided what books are in their Scriptures. So all arguments from Scripture alone are taken off the table for a religion that has a model like that. :)

So, I know that the Catholic Church claims authority by God to interpret the Scriptures. I don't know what basis others have for their authority to interpret Scripture.

For me it's all irrelevant, because I believe neither in Scripture alone, nor Scripture and Catholic Church Authority combined. I believe that the New Testament may have some powerful wisdom of God, but it is also a book that is largely "inspired" by the needs of religion in the Roman empire and the the political goals of the Roman empire itself.

However, I believe that authentic teachings by Jesus can be helpful for Jewish people and all, to understand our relationship with God and legalism etc. In that sense, Christianity, simply by example and cultural interaction, has probably affected the understandings of some Jewish people. At the same time, I believe that Christians can reduce their "idolatry" of NT "Scriptura" and learn from Jewish people (as many Christians already have). This applies to "Churchianity" and others who use the Bible ;-), it's all "Romanianity" to me. Shalom! :)

(PS: Can you tell me where the word "Churchianity" is in the Bible? Thank you!)

Last edited:

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Three being too many for a correct translation of the tetragrammation.
It doesn't matter how many syllables the translation has. There are variations of names according to language, not the number of syllables. The rule applies to any name in the Bible, Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, as well as any other language spoken by people in Bible times. Latin, for example, and then later. Jesus only has 2 in Latin and English, and 3 in Hebrew and Greek.

Coder

Apparently, some people believe that God should be called "Jehovah" as extrapolated from YHWH. I'm not aware of anything wrong with using that name for God. I do know that because of reverence for God and the consideration in Judaism that "YHWH" is a sacred name, that the use of the name in Judaism is discouraged and I respect that also. Therefore, what is the issue? Is the idea that no other name for God should ever be used?

Kathryn

Apparently, some people believe that God should be called "Jehovah" as extrapolated from YHWH. I'm not aware of anything wrong with using that name for God. I do know that because of reverence for God and the consideration in Judaism that "YHWH" is a sacred name, that the use of the name in Judaism is discouraged and I respect that also. Therefore, what is the issue? Is the idea that no other name for God should ever be used?
Wait, no Lily of the Valley, Bright and Shining Star, Fairest of 10,000?????

cataway

i happen to know the demons dont like it when the name Jehovah is used . its an interesting story .

Kathryn

i happen to know the demons dont like it when the name Jehovah is used . its an interesting story .
Well, I happen to know that demons also don't like The Lord's Prayer. It's an interesting story. I think demons may not like anything biblical.

cataway

Well, I happen to know that demons also don't like The Lord's Prayer. It's an interesting story. I think demons may not like anything biblical.
could be , i always go with the big guns if dealing with demons. not that i hunt for them