• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...............JEHOVAH!.................

Ebionite

I do know that because of reverence for God and the consideration in Judaism that "YHWH" is a sacred name, that the use of the name in Judaism is discouraged and I respect that also.

But ye [are] they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Ye that fear YHWH, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
Psalms 22:22-23

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Apparently, some people believe that God should be called "Jehovah" as extrapolated from YHWH. I'm not aware of anything wrong with using that name for God. I do know that because of reverence for God and the consideration in Judaism that "YHWH" is a sacred name, that the use of the name in Judaism is discouraged and I respect that also. Therefore, what is the issue? Is the idea that no other name for God should ever be used?

Hebrew didn't have vowels in the written language, so they added them in when reading. No one knows what vowells were used so no one knows for sure what it sounded like. They could have used any vowells. That goes for all names and words in the Hebrew text. Jewish scholars prefer Yahweh, but in English it is Jehovah. People get hung up on it. Like the word or name is special and has to be pronounced in what is thought to be the Hebrew, but in other languages it's different. For example, in . . .

Awabakal - Yehóa

Bugotu - Jihova

Cantonese - Yehwowah

Danish - Jehova

Dutch - Jehovah

Efik - Jehovah

English - Jehovah

Fijian - Jiova

Finnish - Jehova

French - Jéhovah

Futuna - Ihova

German - Jehova

Hungarian - Jehova

Igbo - Jehova

Italian - Geova

Japanese - Ehoba

Maori - Ihowa

Motu - Iehova

Mwala-Malu - Jihova

Narrinyeri - Jehovah

Nembe - Jihova

Petats - Jihouva

Polish - Jehowa

Portuguese - Jeová

Romanian - Iehova

Samoan - Ieova

Sotho - Jehova

Spanish - Jehová

Swahili - Yehova

Swedish - Jehova

Tahitian - Iehova

Tagalog - Jehova

Tongan - Jihova

Venda - Yehova

Xhosa - uYehova

Yoruba - Jehofah

Zulu - uJehova

At some point, if I recall correctly, in the 4th or 5th century BCE, the scribes (copyists, Sopherim) decided, wrongly, that the name shouldn't be pronounced so they replaced it with the generic term lord. When you see LORD in all upper case in later translations, that is where the name used to be. That isn't cool with Jehovah God. (Jeremiah 23:27) So, you have all that, plus the name having been all but forgotten people think that the term God is a name. It isn't. Then you have people who want to distinguish themselves from Jehovah's Witnesses not using the English name even though the English name was around long before the JWs were. Just all religious nonsense obfuscating the truth and misleading people as is apostate religion's wont. Similar to people writing G-d today.

Ebionite

Hebrew didn't have vowels in the written language, so they added them in when reading. No one knows what vowells were used so no one knows for sure what it sounded like.
It can be inferred from the original pronunciation of Judah (YHWDH), since the Jews were unlikely to forget how to pronounce their own name.

And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise YHWH: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.
Genesis 29:35

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
could be , i always go with the big guns if dealing with demons. not that i hunt for them
Oh me too.

TRUE STORY TIME: One time, when I was a realtor, I listed a house in a great neighborhood, but it had been SEVERELY mistreated by a teenage boy. So I told the mom "All the light fixtures and doors and some walls need to be fixed or replaced." So she went to work. The teenage boy's room was covered in Marilyn Manson lyrics written in a Sharpie, and a pentagram above the bed, also drawn in a Sharpie. So the mom hired a team of painters and I gave them my number. They called me one day and the foreman said "So here's the deal: My guys won't go in that boy's bedroom anymore. They have painted over the pentagram over and over, and it keeps bleeding through - nothing else, just the pentagram." (They were using Kilz.) I was so mad! I mean, I needed to sell that house and the mom needed to sell that house. I called a priest but also just went right over there and marched into the bedroom, as the painting crew stood outside the house. Sure enough, the pentagram wasn't staying covered. I asked how many times it had been painted over, and the foreman said "Oh, about six times." I said the Lord's Prayer and hung a crucifix up in the room and also said, "In the name of Jesus, I command you to leave." Then I went back outside and told the foreman "Ok, you can go back in there, and paint over the pentagram, and I bet it stays covered this time - call me if it doesn't." I never heard back from him.

cataway

But ye [are] they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Ye that fear YHWH, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
Psalms 22:22-23
Psalms 22:22-23 I will declare your name to my brothers; In the midst of the congregation I will praise you.23 You who fear Jehovah, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him! Stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
It can be inferred from the original pronunciation of Judah (YHWDH), since the Jews were unlikely to forget how to pronounce their own name.

And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise YHWH: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.
Genesis 29:35

The flaw in your logic there is pretty obvious, though, isn't it? YHWDH not JHWDH. Judah not Yudah. See? Jeremiah not Yeremiah, Jesus not Hebrew Yeshua or Greek Iēsous or Latin Iesus. It's English. We are speaking English.

ETA: The Hebrew Saul (Paul) is a really good example. He was taught from respected Hebrew scholars, but he had to preach to the gentiles because the Jews wanted him dead. His Hebrew name Saul gave way to the gentile Paul. Greek Paulos or Latin Paulus, English Paul.

Last edited:

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I said the Lord's Prayer and hung a crucifix up in the room and also said, "In the name of Jesus, I command you to leave." Then I went back outside and told the foreman "Ok, you can go back in there, and paint over the pentagram, and I bet it stays covered this time - call me if it doesn't." I never heard back from him.

You used one pagan symbol, that was used by pagans as well as Christians (the five wounds of Christ), the pentagram, with another, the Roman phallic symbol the cross, also adopted by later Christians after Constantine the pontifex maximus, or chief priest of pagan religion. You sort of appeased all of that.

cataway

Oh me too.

TRUE STORY TIME: One time, when I was a realtor, I listed a house in a great neighborhood, but it had been SEVERELY mistreated by a teenage boy. So I told the mom "All the light fixtures and doors and some walls need to be fixed or replaced." So she went to work. The teenage boy's room was covered in Marilyn Manson lyrics written in a Sharpie, and a pentagram above the bed, also drawn in a Sharpie. So the mom hired a team of painters and I gave them my number. They called me one day and the foreman said "So here's the deal: My guys won't go in that boy's bedroom anymore. They have painted over the pentagram over and over, and it keeps bleeding through - nothing else, just the pentagram." (They were using Kilz.) I was so mad! I mean, I needed to sell that house and the mom needed to sell that house. I called a priest but also just went right over there and marched into the bedroom, as the painting crew stood outside the house. Sure enough, the pentagram wasn't staying covered. I asked how many times it had been painted over, and the foreman said "Oh, about six times." I said the Lord's Prayer and hung a crucifix up in the room and also said, "In the name of Jesus, I command you to leave." Then I went back outside and told the foreman "Ok, you can go back in there, and paint over the pentagram, and I bet it stays covered this time - call me if it doesn't." I never heard back from him.
you call it a a crucifix . its a talisman. demons have no fear of any talisman . do be careful demons will attach them selves to objects ,it can be anything . even crucifix's. i don't know why they do that but they do.

Kathryn

you call it a a crucifix . its a talisman. demons have no fear of any talisman . do be careful demons will attach them selves to objects ,it can be anything . even crucifix's. i don't know why they do that but they do.
I left it in the house. I have no idea what happened to it after that.

Coder

I pray to God, using the word "God". I don't use the name "Jehovah". I already showed that YHWH was one of the multiple names used during polytheistic periods of Judaism. Prior to that, do we know what religion it came from? The point is that even Judaism probably inherited the name from a prior source. Why not use those scriptures then? I think that an obsession with a particular name is not necessary. Someone could use any name but intend to pray to some evil spirit based on a belief. Particular soundwaves and motion of lips to speak the sound "Jehovah" as if critically important, appears potentially superstitious.

I think that it is witchcraft and the like that uses "spells" and "magic" words.

I think that the spiritual desire to communicate with God and an attitude of love is much more important than a particular name.

Last edited:

Ebionite

The flaw in your logic there is pretty obvious, though, isn't it? YHWDH not JHWDH. Judah not Yudah. See? Jeremiah not Yeremiah, Jesus not Hebrew Yeshua or Greek Iēsous or Latin Iesus. It's English. We are speaking English.
English is irrelevant to the original pronunciation of Hebrew words.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Ok whatever you say.
No, no, no. Never just whatever I say. I mean no disrespect. The pentagram was used in Judaism, Paganism, Christianity, the Roman cross in Paganism and Christianity. What I have given is a brief history of symbols. It isn't about whether this is right and this is wrong. It's about language. Beliefs. I respect your beliefs and would only ask anyone else to reciprocate.

cataway

Hebrew didn't have vowels in the written language, so they added them in when reading. No one knows what vowells were used so no one knows for sure what it sounded like. They could have used any vowells. That goes for all names and words in the Hebrew text. Jewish scholars prefer Yahweh, but in English it is Jehovah. People get hung up on it. Like the word or name is special and has to be pronounced in what is thought to be the Hebrew, but in other languages it's different. For example, in . . .

Awabakal - Yehóa

Bugotu - Jihova

Cantonese - Yehwowah

Danish - Jehova

Dutch - Jehovah

Efik - Jehovah

English - Jehovah

Fijian - Jiova

Finnish - Jehova

French - Jéhovah

Futuna - Ihova

German - Jehova

Hungarian - Jehova

Igbo - Jehova

Italian - Geova

Japanese - Ehoba

Maori - Ihowa

Motu - Iehova

Mwala-Malu - Jihova

Narrinyeri - Jehovah

Nembe - Jihova

Petats - Jihouva

Polish - Jehowa

Portuguese - Jeová

Romanian - Iehova

Samoan - Ieova

Sotho - Jehova

Spanish - Jehová

Swahili - Yehova

Swedish - Jehova

Tahitian - Iehova

Tagalog - Jehova

Tongan - Jihova

Venda - Yehova

Xhosa - uYehova

Yoruba - Jehofah

Zulu - uJehova

At some point, if I recall correctly, in the 4th or 5th century BCE, the scribes (copyists, Sopherim) decided, wrongly, that the name shouldn't be pronounced so they replaced it with the generic term lord. When you see LORD in all upper case in later translations, that is where the name used to be. That isn't cool with Jehovah God. (Jeremiah 23:27) So, you have all that, plus the name having been all but forgotten people think that the term God is a name. It isn't. Then you have people who want to distinguish themselves from Jehovah's Witnesses not using the English name even though the English name was around long before the JWs were. Just all religious nonsense obfuscating the truth and misleading people as is apostate religion's wont. Similar to people writing G-d today.
was Yahavay ever used ? some thing a Jewish person was saying . at least the way it sounded

Kathryn

No, no, no. Never just whatever I say. I mean no disrespect. The pentagram was used in Judaism, Paganism, Christianity, the Roman cross in Paganism and Christianity. What I have given is a brief history of symbols. It isn't about whether this is right and this is wrong. It's about language. Beliefs. I respect your beliefs and would only ask anyone else to reciprocate.
Well, I wasn't using the pentagram.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
English is irrelevant to the original pronunciation of Hebrew words.

Correct, I agree, but it is important to English pronunciation. Hebrew is useless to someone speaking English. And inconsistencies, for example, saying YHWH, or Yahweh, have their place, but if you say Yahweh and Judah simultaneously, there's some sort of religious superiority, tradition or superstition involved. There's no reason for it unless, like I've done, pointed out different languages. Hebrew Yahweh and Yeshua, English Jehovah and Jesus. Hebrew doesn't have the J sound, English does. So, YHWH becomes JHVH. The words aren't magic or supernatural. They're just words. Names. Jehovah, Jesus, Michael, Satan, God are most likely not the words or names used in heaven. But I or no one else knows that or what they would be.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Well, I wasn't using the pentagram.

I recognize that. But Christians have used it along with others. You associated it with the demonic, just as the Jews in the Bible time associated the cross with Tammuz, and his fertility symbol the earliest cross, the mystic Tau. (Ezekiel 8)

I Am Hugh

Researcher
was Yahavay ever used ? some thing a Jewish person was saying . at least the way it sounded

I have no idea. Possibly. There are always variations in transliteration and translation. Nephesh, Nefesh, for example, translated soul when it would more accurately be transliterated. Names are usually transliterated, never translated. (Edit: I had to fix that)