• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...............JEHOVAH!.................

Ehav4Ever

Same as now, it identisies an individual or a group.
It is not 100% the same as in most modern langauges. The shoresh of the word (שם) means a lot more than indentifying a individual or a group. It means predominately, identifying charecteristics of something associated with a thing or a person. Thus, many of the individuals who are named in the Torah are given names associated with some event or characteristic of about the event.

1723446073928.png

1723446344767.png

Ehav4Ever

There's no reason to think that YHWDH was pronounced differently by native speakers.
It is if one doesn't even know who can be correctly identified as a native speaker, and especially when one is using English as the medium to describe something that would have been described differently if one were actually writing or speaking in Hebrew.

Ehav4Ever

Someone who knew how to pronounce it based on ordinary usage.
To be more specific about what I am asking you. Let me ask it in the following way.
  1. 2,500 years ago. Someone wants to know how ancient Hebrew prior to 2,500 years was "potentially" pronounced. What person or people would they have been able to go to to find answers?
  2. 1,500 years ago. What person or people would they have been able to go to?
  3. 500 years ago, same question.
  4. Today, same question.
  5. Last question, in each time frame where did the people who have the answer to this question get their information from?

Last edited:

Ebionite

Again, who are the someone's? Specifically.
Specifically, people who know their own name, i.e. Yehudim. The idea that these people forgot what they were originally called while remembering that they were called Jews is beyond absurd.

Ehav4Ever

Specifically, people who know their own name, i.e. Yehudim.
Right. So when someone wanted or wants to know how Hebrew was anciently pronounced one has no choice to go to Yehudim who a) descend from ancient Ivrim, Benei Yisrael, and Yehudim and b) have a history with the Ivri langauge that was down from generation to generation. 100%

Yemenite Yehudi Children reciting Torah Shemoth (Exodus) Parashat Terumah

God, President, Manager, Teacher. Those are all titled names that tell us what their position in life is. The titled name God means Power over all. With all titled names one also has a personal name that tells us who this one is that carries that titled name. The one that carries the title God is JEHOVAH. He also gives us his personal name so we know the true God to follow and worship. There are other gods in the world. When you study the Bible as I have you will only know the full truth of God and his plans for the earth an mankind.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yes. Crucifix means to fasten to something. Prometheus, for example, was crucified; fastened to the ground or rock. Jesus was crucified (fastened) to an upright pole. The Hebrew torture stake. Single piece. The Greek word used is stauros, which can mean an upright pole or any variation of a cross. The T shaped Tau from Tammuz, the X shaped cross, other shapes. The cross goes back long before Jesus. It was used as a fertility symbol like the ichthys (fish) symbol also used later by Pagan/Christians and the Pentagram.

The thing is, during Jesus' time the Romans were doing a lot of crucifying in an arid climate without many trees. Why use more wood than was needed. Just one piece. Though the Greek word stauros can mean a pole or various shaped cross, the Greek word xylon, which was also used to describe what Jesus died upon, was also used and can only mean a single upright pole, timber or tree. For example, the LXX translates xylon from the Hebrew at Ezra 6:11. (Luke 23:31; Acts 5:30; 10:39) Jesus didn't die on a t shaped cross.
Sorry but I don't care what sort of cross Jesus was crucified on. There aren't any photos or paintings of the event as it happened so to me it's all conjecture.

Ebionite

Right. So when someone wanted or wants to know how Hebrew was anciently pronounced one has no choice to go to Yehudim who a) descend from ancient Ivrim, Benei Yisrael, and Yehudim and b) have a history with the Ivri langauge that was down from generation to generation. 100%
There are other options, of course. Historical guides to pronunciation of the Hebrew language and records of how the name was recorded in other languages. The name of YHWH wasn't meant to hidden away.

And in very deed for this [cause] have I raised thee up, for to shew [in] thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.
Exodus 9:16

Ebionite

Sorry but I don't care what sort of cross Jesus was crucified on. There aren't any photos or paintings of the event as it happened so to me it's all conjecture.
The Biblical account of the crucifixion is an outlier. According to the Gnostic accounts Simon of Cyrene was crucified in his place and according to the gospel of Barnabus, Judas was crucified in his place. There are problems with both of those sources, but there are also problems with using the Bible as a source. According to the Quran he wasn't crucified, and it's emphatic about that.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The Biblical account of the crucifixion is an outlier. According to the Gnostic accounts Simon of Cyrene was crucified in his place and according to the gospel of Barnabus, Judas was crucified in his place. There are problems with both of those sources, but there are also problems with using the Bible as a source. According to the Quran he wasn't crucified, and it's emphatic about that.
Of course it is. I don't believe any of the sources you've quoted are accurate by the way. I'm not sure there IS a way to be accurate about the Crucifixion since all we have is hearsay anyway. At best.

Ebionite

I'm not sure there IS a way to be accurate about the Crucifixion since all we have is hearsay anyway.
The prophetic texts that relate to the crucifixion are not hearsay, and they agree with the Quran and the gospel of Barnabus.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
OK, no offense meant to any contributor to this thread. And I make it clear that I have no personal religious belief but I've been reading discussions like this for a long time. The following is presented in story form because it amuses me to do so.

A person dies, he is a Christian and expects to be "saved". He is met by an angel who directs him to a room that has a chair and a desk with a thick document on it. The angel says "This is your exam that will determine your place in the afterlife. You have eternity to complete it so no rush. I'll be back to check in on you every few years."

The Christian sits down at the desk and looks at the first page of the document. The first question is "What is the correct name of God?". He scratches his head and looks at the second page and then flips through the whole document. He finds that there are thousands of questions relating to exact interpretations of Bible passages, and sometimes even individual words. He calls out to the angel who reappears.

Christian: What's all this? I was told that all I had to do was accept Jesus and I would be saved.
Angel: Well that idea did get some traction over the years, but in reality salvation is dependent on a detailed understanding of the Bible. Now do you want to go ahead or not? I warn you that refusal to take the test will be given an automatic F, and the consequences of that are, well let's say warm.

TL;DR Is salvation a glorified game of Trivial Pursuit?

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Hello could you please help me, I am trying to put together some good reasons to believe God's word the Bible is inspired.

If you have some good reasons and you could please help I would appreciate it, Here is the link to the thread I am talking on.

jimb

Premium Member
God is actually nameless and no one knows Jesus’ real name imo.
God told Moses His name in Exodus 14.

Exodus 3:13-14, "Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 2:21, "On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived."

Read your Bible!

jimb

Premium Member
OK, no offense meant to any contributor to this thread. And I make it clear that I have no personal religious belief but I've been reading discussions like this for a long time. The following is presented in story form because it amuses me to do so.

A person dies, he is a Christian and expects to be "saved". He is met by an angel who directs him to a room that has a chair and a desk with a thick document on it. The angel says "This is your exam that will determine your place in the afterlife. You have eternity to complete it so no rush. I'll be back to check in on you every few years."

The Christian sits down at the desk and looks at the first page of the document. The first question is "What is the correct name of God?". He scratches his head and looks at the second page and then flips through the whole document. He finds that there are thousands of questions relating to exact interpretations of Bible passages, and sometimes even individual words. He calls out to the angel who reappears.

Christian: What's all this? I was told that all I had to do was accept Jesus and I would be saved.
Angel: Well that idea did get some traction over the years, but in reality salvation is dependent on a detailed understanding of the Bible. Now do you want to go ahead or not? I warn you that refusal to take the test will be given an automatic F, and the consequences of that are, well let's say warm.

TL;DR Is salvation a glorified game of Trivial Pursuit?
This is childish nonsense.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Greetings. The comment that you quoted from YT is a bit misinformed. This topic is not something I suggest you will get a lot out of discussing with people who don't know Hebrew or Aramaic. Also, those who don't have first hand knowledge of how things have historically worked in the Torah based judicial system can't give you any meaningful information.

Just to give you an example of what I mean:
  1. How does one know how any word in the Jewish Hebrew language, name or not, was ever pronounced?
  2. In the langauge and culture anciemt Yisrael and Yehudah (Judah), from more than 3,000 years ago, what does it mean for something to be a name?
  3. Given that written texts in Hebrew prior to about 1,500 years ago, didn't have markings for vowels or punctiation and the ability to pronounce vowels and establish breaks in thought were taught and learned among Jews orally, who would one have to go to determine what is the correct pronuciation of a word?
I hear the expression Baruch hashem. How do you say that is translated in English?