• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...............JEHOVAH!.................

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
By observing how it is currently pronounced.

Same as now, it identisies an individual or a group.

Someone who knew how to pronounce it based on ordinary usage.

There's no reason to think that YHWDH was pronounced differently by native speakers.
Hebrew speakers do not say Jerusalem with a J sound, they say it aptly with a Y sound. Most English speakers would say Jerusalem with a J sound. Both pronunciations mean the same thing.

YoursTrue

One way would, "Blessed is Hashem" another way would be, "Blessed is the Source of Creation / Reality."
HaShem is Hebrew. From my understanding it means "the Name." So "Blessed is the Name" seems accurate. How do you feel about that?

Ehav4Ever

HaShem is Hebrew. From my understanding it means "the Name." So "Blessed is the Name" seems accurate. How do you feel about that?
Hashem is Hebrew, this is correct.Yet, you asked about a statement where a "concept" is what must be translated into English. Translating the concept of (ברוך השם) into English is "Blessed is Hashem" another way would be, "Blessed is the Source of Creation / Reality." Hashem, in this context, is referring to the Source of Creation since, in the Hebrew langauge, there is no seperation between the Creator and the titles, names, concepts about the Creator. So, by referencing a title of the Creator or a name, I am always referencing the Creator Himself.

It is not like in English, where if I say blessed is John. There are a lot people with the name John, I would have to be more specific I am intend someoen in particular because the name is not common to only one person and the name and the person are two seperate things. Thus, if I say blessed is John B. Markel son of Harold C. Markel, who lives Kansas City, MO on 73rd and Norton near Swope Park, who is 6 feet tall, grey hair, social security number 889-99-8773, who is 50 years old, married for 30 years, has 5 children and 3 grandchildren, etc. In this circumstance I am being very specific as to who is blessed and this case the name of the person John B. Markel and the name John B. Markel along with all the other details are one and the same.

In short, there is no division or distinction, in the Hebrew language, between Hashem and the names or titles about Hashem. Because of this fact, in order to correctly translate the meaning of the statement I am required to translate the concept.

I hope that helps.

jimb

Premium Member
It is a valid response. Faith without works is... what, according to the Bible? James chapter 2 goes into it quite well. James 2:17.
Do you really think that the fictional account of a "final exam" administered by an angel is worth discussing?

YoursTrue

Hashem is Hebrew, this is correct.Yet, you asked about a statement where a "concept" is what must be translated into English. Translating the concept of (ברוך השם) into English is "Blessed is Hashem" another way would be, "Blessed is the Source of Creation / Reality." Hashem, in this context, is referring to the Source of Creation since, in the Hebrew langauge, there is no seperation between the Creator and the titles, names, concepts about the Creator. So, by referencing a title of the Creator or a name, I am always referencing the Creator Himself.

It is not like in English, where if I say blessed is John. There are a lot people with the name John, I would have to be more specific I am intend someoen in particular because the name is not common to only one person and the name and the person are two seperate things. Thus, if I say blessed is John B. Markel son of Harold C. Markel, who lives Kansas City, MO on 73rd and Norton near Swope Park, who is 6 feet tall, grey hair, social security number 889-99-8773, who is 50 years old, married for 30 years, has 5 children and 3 grandchildren, etc. In this circumstance I am being very specific as to who is blessed and this case the name of the person John B. Markel and the name John B. Markel along with all the other details are one and the same.

In short, there is no division or distinction, in the Hebrew language, between Hashem and the names or titles about Hashem. Because of this fact, in order to correctly translate the meaning of the statement I am required to translate the concept.

I hope that helps.
Only yes and no. There are extensions of the word 'shem,' but essentially it means name and/or fame. To ascribe more than that to it is not really in harmony with the actual word itself.

Ehav4Ever

Only yes and no. There are extensions of the word 'shem,' but essentially it means name and/or fame. To ascribe more than that to it is not really in harmony with the actual word itself.
Let's just leave it at this. You do Hebrew your way and I will do Hebrew the way that literally every person fluent in Hebrew does it. ;)

YoursTrue

Let's just leave it at this. You do Hebrew your way and I will do Hebrew the way that literally every person fluent in Hebrew does it. ;)
I understand. I did check with abiram publications, perhaps you are aware of them. While there are considerations of embellished meanings, the basic meaning of shem is: Meaning Name, Fame, Conscious Knowledge Of The Whole Of Creation Etymology From the noun שם (shem), name or renown.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No, the JWs didn't make this up!

He (Not THEY) has a Name!
Why do you think Churchianity REMOVED it????
First, these so-called new Jewish manuscripts that add the vowel points to the tetragrammaton are dated to the ninth century, LONG after knowledge of the pronunciation was lost. This means they are worthless in accurating determining the pronunciation.

Second, your source says that scholars based their idea of "Yahweh" as the correct pronunciation on Greek texts. I assume he is referring to Philo of Alexandria using a form that can be approximated as "ΙΑΩ" (Iao) or "ΙΕΟΥ" (Ieou). I'm sorry, but that just doesn't look like Yahweh to me.

Now I'm not a scholar, but my limited understanding is that the reason they feel Yahweh is more probable, is because it means "he will be." IOW the third person version of "I will be whom I will be." That's understandable reasoning, but still only an educated guess.