• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

AmbiguousGuy

I think those that speculate that he was a pure myth is missing the mark. Is it really unreasonable to think that there was a charismatic historical man named Yahshua who taught certain, perhaps, fringe ideas within a Jewish matrix and had a group of followers that continued to follow his teachings after his death? Why is that so implausible that the baby must be thrown out with the bathwater?

It's implausible based on the evidence and the rational treatment of that evidence. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

And for those of us with no particular attachment to the baby, tossing him out with the bathwater inflicts no guilt or trauma.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Not exactly

Not enough is known about historical Jesus or the Essenes to make that assumption

Essenes were known as great healers and great teachers, what are the two things Jesus was known for besides his "Divinity"?

AmbiguousGuy

It is neither. Paul and Josephus are more than adequate to support the inference of a historical Jesus pending evidence to the contrary.

I'm sorry, but I see that as nonsense. I'll be glad to discuss it with you, though, and demonstrate the error of your conclusions about it.

nash8

Some of my historical-Jesus discussions here on the forum are a couple of years old, I think. I could get you some message numbers if you want to study them.

If they aren't historical enough for you, can you define what you mean by 'historical documents that assess Jesus being myth'?

I mean things like the new testament, the dead sea scrolls, documents where historians claim Jesus was not a real person etc etc.

And I don't really feel like reading through year old posts to glean what I can from your stance, a summary of the key points will do just fine.

AmbiguousGuy

I mean things like the new testament, the dead sea scrolls, documents where historians claim Jesus was not a real person etc etc.

It's possible that you've missed my exact point. I can be vaguish sometimes. I'm asking you how old a Jesus-questioning document must be in order for you to consider it 'historical'.

Why would the New Testament claim that Jesus wasn't real? That confuses me. It was written for the express purpose of claiming his reality... except for the Paul stuff, I mean.

And I don't really feel like reading through year old posts to glean what I can from your stance, a summary of the key points will do just fine.

It was a sort of joke. Nevermind.

P.S. I won't present you with my case against the historical Jesus since you have so far asked me questions, I've answered them, and then you've simply dropped the conversation.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Essenes were known as great healers and great teachers, what are the two things Jesus was known for besides his "Divinity"?

Many different sects of Jews and gentiles were known for healing and teaching.

That doesn't make him a Essene.

nash8

It's possible that you've missed my exact point. I can be vaguish sometimes. I'm asking you how old a Jesus-questioning document must be in order for you to consider it 'historical'.

Then I ask you how old is the oldest Jesus-questioning document?

Why would the New Testament claim that Jesus wasn't real? That confuses me. It was written for the express purpose of claiming his reality... except for the Paul stuff, I mean.

I wasn't saying the old testament claimed that Jesus was wasn't real, I was using them as a reference to the fact that we have documents that were supposedly written only 100 years after the Jesus supposedly lived that stated that he was real. Most documents written about a person of historical significance living around that time (circa 0, is that B.C. or A.D. lol) were not written for hundreds if not thousands of years afterwards. I was also asking what are some documents that oppose these documents that were written around the same time frame?

It was a sort of joke. Nevermind.

P.S. I won't present you with my case against the historical Jesus since you have so far asked me questions, I've answered them, and then you've simply dropped the conversation.

Sorry about that, I asked those questions, then I went on vacation right after and didn't have time to respond to your answers. However, I did read them, and I do seem to recall that many of your answers included, "I dunno" followed by a possible scenario unsupported by evidence, logical or otherwise. For me, the best explanation of a historical scenario is one that answers the most questions logically and/or factually. For me, your answers in defense of the "Jesus is a mythological character" idea does not seem to answer as many questions, nor as accurately as does a historical Jesus. Just my two cents.

Many different sects of Jews and gentiles were known for healing and teaching.

That doesn't make him a Essene.

What sects of Jews and/or gentiles were more renown as healers and teachers during that time than the Essenes?

AmbiguousGuy

Then I ask you how old is the oldest Jesus-questioning document?

Beats me. I don't follow ancient Jesus-questioning debates.

Or I could say that the oldest such reference is in the Bible. In the book of 2nd John, the writer observes and admits that even then, there were people going around denying that Jesus was historical.

I wasn't saying the old testament claimed that Jesus was wasn't real, I was using them as a reference to the fact that we have documents that were supposedly written only 100 years after the Jesus supposedly lived that stated that he was real.

The Gospel of Mark was only 40 years after, I think.

Only 100 years? I don't find that any more relevant than people claiming the same thing 1500 years after Jesus supposedly lived. They were primitive times.

Most documents written about a person of historical significance living around that time (circa 0, is that B.C. or A.D. lol) were not written for hundreds if not thousands of years afterwards. I was also asking what are some documents that oppose these documents that were written around the same time frame?

Yeah. The Book of Mormon was written almost 2000 years after Jesus. Me, I don't take it as historically accurate or even significant.

As for documents which oppose the gospels, if they ever existed, I'm sure they were destroyed by early Christians. We don't have any original documents from that time so far as I know. Only copies. Can you imagine a Christian getting hold of a Jesus-denying document and being tasked with making copies?:)

However, I did read them, and I do seem to recall that many of your answers included, "I dunno" followed by a possible scenario unsupported by evidence, logical or otherwise. For me, the best explanation of a historical scenario is one that answers the most questions logically and/or factually.

If that's what you need -- factual answers to the Jesus question -- then you will surely wind up in the historical Jesus camp. Those of us who accept the paucity of 2,000-year-old facts just can't force ourselves to believe that we can know the truth of such ancient history.

For me, your answers in defense of the "Jesus is a mythological character" idea does not seem to answer as many questions, nor as accurately as does a historical Jesus. Just my two cents.

See what I mean? My inability to answer questions about 2,000-year-old matters in a culture entirely foreign to us -- that's pretty good evidence that my understanding of historicity is in line with our actual cognitive abilities.

Only the faithful -- only those needy for Truth -- can answer such questions with any confidence.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or I could say that the oldest such reference is in the Bible. In the book of 2nd John, the writer observes and admits that even then, there were people going around denying that Jesus was historical.

I went into the Greek and cultural context in detail for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Beats me. I don't follow ancient Jesus-questioning debates.

What do you follow that makes anything you say worth the time to read it? Your modern observations have been repeatedly shown to fail when compared to the evidence, and that's without getting into the idea that subjective (and inherently biased) observation can inform us about cultures 2,000 years ago. You even use your Christian upbringing as evidence for why Christianity is popular.

They were primitive times.
staff edit

The Book of Mormon was written almost 2000 years after Jesus. Me, I don't take it as historically accurate or even significant.
You've so regurgitated your invalid analogy between the Jesus movement and the book of Mormon that your own posts demonstrate your dishonesty.

As for documents which oppose the gospels, if they ever existed, I'm sure they were destroyed by early Christians.
Which explains the vast wealth of anti-Christian sentiments we have thanks mostly to quotations by Christian apologists. Finds like the Nag Hammadi library just showed how wrong your view is.

We don't have any original documents from that time so far as I know. Only copies.
How do you know what we have?

Can you imagine a Christian getting hold of a Jesus-denying document and being tasked with making copies?:)
This kind of scribal work was done so frequently it is impossible to actually study the field and not realize how far off you are. Most of the anti-Christian texts we have are preserved almost in full by both Christian authors and Christian scribes, all because they wanted to address their opponents' claims. However, as your information about cultures 2,000 years ago comes from being raised Christian, it's understandable that you wouldn't know much about any of this.

Those of us who accept the paucity of 2,000-year-old facts
...apply double standards. One for historical Jesus studies, and another for anything else. Add a healthy dose of dishonest claims of unbiased opinions rather than almost completely uninformed nonsense, and you have a mythicist. Welcome to the club.

My inability to answer questions about 2,000-year-old matters in a culture entirely foreign to us
...doesn't stop you from proclaiming what notions were "exciting", skipping over problematic issues like the concept of messiah, or even applying your modern observations as the basis for you beliefs. You were raised Christian, and so Christianity must have a fascinating appeal. A historical godman is an idea that "caught fire" because...well, actually, it didn't. But you watched Christians who found Christianity "exciting", so clearly in "primitive" times it would be too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What do you follow that makes anything you say worth the time to read it?
Permit me an honest question: Do you not feel that your persistent and exhaustive responses lend credence to his mantra of denial? The historicity of Jesus is not provable: it is simply a (very widely accepted) example of inference to best explanation. There can be no useful discussion of the inference in the absence of an honest and reasonable interlocutor.

Agnostic75

Jayhawker Soule said:
Permit me an honest question: Do you not feel that your persistent and exhaustive responses lend credence to his mantra of denial? The historicity of Jesus is not provable: it is simply a (very widely accepted) example of inference to best explanation. There can be no useful discussion of the inference in the absence of an honest and reasonable interlocutor.

I agree.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Permit me an honest question
Of course.
Do you not feel that your persistent and exhaustive responses lend credence to his mantra of denial?
Perhaps, but frequently my responses to posts are not for the benefit of those who fall into the category of "none so blind as those that will not see". I am farther from perfect than most, and one of my imperfections is letting misinformation go unaddressed knowing that others will see it and might use it as a basis thinking it was something other than pure biased ignorance.
The historicity of Jesus is not provable
I don't generally deal with history but with the sciences. And as theories in these are not provable, I cetainly don't hold historiography to a higher standard. But that doesn't excuse fundamental arrogant ignorant bias superficially masked by a veneer of objectivity which would fool only those who wish to be and who know little of the subject (and desire to keep it that way).
There can be no useful discussion of the inference in the absence of an honest and reasonable interlocutor.
I agree. And while I do sometimes do this, more often I continue discussions because it is through forums and blogs that those who know virtually nothing of history and refuse to be educated (or to admit they no know too little; this at least is true of us all about most fields) quote-mine websites and forums to spout nonsense because they can't be troubled to study.

I have no problem with ignorance. It is intrinsic to human understanding. I have a problem with the spread of misinformation and especially its origin point is a feigned objectivity and pitiful imitation of familiarity that can deceive those who happen upon the information and mistake it for something of value.

So even though I realize that the chances of my changing the fundamentalist dogma of those who prefer to quote-mine Google to reinforce the beliefs they had to begin with are virtually nil, I do not respond to such posts for their authors. It may very well still be an exercise in futility, but I have grown so tired of the so-called "information age" becoming more and more the misinformation age.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
but I have grown so tired of the so-called "information age" becoming more and more the misinformation age.

That is a issue.

The other forum is filled with this kind, just standing up for consensus of modern scholarships turns into a chore.

Its not fighting ignorance, teaching could fix that. It is similar to creationism, Your fighting closed minds of the willfully ignorant and people who for the most part are more dishonest to themselves then others.