• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

AmbiguousGuy

You've so regurgitated your invalid analogy between the Jesus movement and the book of Mormon that your own posts demonstrate your dishonesty.

The mods have specifically warned about personal attacks in this thread, Legion, so I'm not going to respond to you.

How about we go one-on-one? I would love nothing more than to get you alone in a thread so we can hash some things out.

How about it. The (non)historical Jesus. You and me.

Do you think you might be ready for that?

AmbiguousGuy

Permit me an honest question: Do you not feel that your persistent and exhaustive responses lend credence to his mantra of denial? The historicity of Jesus is not provable: it is simply a (very widely accepted) example of inference to best explanation. There can be no useful discussion of the inference in the absence of an honest and reasonable interlocutor.

My invitation goes for you, too, Jay. One-on-one with me regarding the historical Jesus.

Don't you want to find out what you are capable of? Heck, maybe you really can defend the notion that Jesus was historical. You can't know until you try.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
My invitation goes for you, too, Jay. One-on-one with me regarding the historical Jesus.

Don't you want to find out what you are capable of? Heck, maybe you really can defend the notion that Jesus was historical. You can't know until you try.

I would love to see that, either of those, who judges the winner of the debate battle? Mods or Poll?

AmbiguousGuy

I would love to see that, either of those, who judges the winner of the debate battle? Mods or Poll?

I don't know and I don't care. But if you really feel a need to know the winner, just ask God. He's always on my side, so I can already tell you that he'll hold me up as the supreme champion.

steeltoes

That is a issue.

The other forum is filled with this kind, just standing up for consensus of modern scholarships turns into a chore.

Its not fighting ignorance, teaching could fix that. It is similar to creationism, Your fighting closed minds of the willfully ignorant and people who for the most part are more dishonest to themselves then others.

The closed minded people that don't believe just as you do are willfully ignorant, we get that, it comes with the territory.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
God is smarter than even Michael Jackson.

Yep. I said it, and I ain't taking it back.
BLASPHEMER!!!
images

outhouse

Atheistically
The closed minded people that don't believe just as you do are willfully ignorant, we get that, it comes with the territory.

Not at all.

Many people that believe differently have a much better education then I do, night and day to be exact. I dont have that much of a education.

Unfortunately Bart Ehrman has been proven correct by mythicist themselves due to their closed minds and lack of education aften seeking bloggers and like minded for their education.

outhouse

Atheistically
What mythers need to realize.

Without the other forum who flat promotes mythicism, or a blog or two, there is no real place you will find a welcome matt for that kind of methodology.

You should try gaining knowledge from real scholarships, and college courses and see if that changes your mind, if not, at least you would be able to bring a better arguement to the table.

steeltoes

What mythers need to realize.

Without the other forum who flat promotes mythicism, or a blog or two, there is no real place you will find a welcome matt for that kind of methodology.

You should try gaining knowledge from real scholarships, and college courses and see if that changes your mind, if not, at least you would be able to bring a better arguement to the table.

You can gain an opinion and that's all you can gain because history is not science and scholars are not scientists.

You have an opinion and anyone that does not share in your opinion is ignorant, we get that from you repeatedly, it's your MO.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
You can gain an opinion and that's all you can gain because history is not science and scholars are not scientists.

You have an opinion and anyone that does not share in your opinion is ignorant, we get that from you repeatedly, it's your MO.

I agree. There is fact in historical events and people as, they either really did happen or they really didnt , or they really existed or the really didn't. But there is almost no way to "prove" either opinion. I would say the same thing for science, but to a lesser extent. The only intellectual endeavor that holds true proof, is mathematics.

However with that being said, in historical issues as well as scientific issues, you have to look at who has the strongest evidence to support their opinion. I'm not saying your ignorant because you support a mythical Jesus, because there is a lot of evidence to support a mythological Jesus. I'm just saying there seems to be a lot more evidence for a historical Jesus. I've researched all of the mythological arguments, some of them better than others, but they still leave a lot of questions unanswered that a historical Jesus does not.

Is there a ton of myth interwoven into the Jesus story, of course there is. But don't be so quick to use these myths to deny the existance of the man.

outhouse

Atheistically

First of all, I am ignorant, and untrained for the most part in these studies. Never stated differently. Doesn't mean I cant hold my own in certain areas.

Don't blame me because I see the shortcomings of people who have studied from less then credible sources.

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree. There is fact in historical events and people as, they either really did happen or they really didnt , or they really existed or the really didn't. But there is almost no way to "prove" either opinion. I would say the same thing for science, but to a lesser extent. The only intellectual endeavor that holds true proof, is mathematics.

However with that being said, in historical issues as well as scientific issues, you have to look at who has the strongest evidence to support their opinion. I'm not saying your ignorant because you support a mythical Jesus, because there is a lot of evidence to support a mythological Jesus. I'm just saying there seems to be a lot more evidence for a historical Jesus. I've researched all of the mythological arguments, some of them better than others, but they still leave a lot of questions unanswered that a historical Jesus does not.

Is there a ton of myth interwoven into the Jesus story, of course there is. But don't be so quick to use these myths to deny the existance of the man.

True. Good post.

Mythology was used in creating theology, no scholar denies this, nor even tries.

Most mythers spend their time trying to tear down the Historicity attacking others work while never even trying to promote a replacement hypothesis.

Even when wrong I give them respect because they have gone far enough as to at least try. I give Earl Doherty respect for this and remain civil despite not agreeing with him.

You are only left with Carrier and Price that have credibility, and both of their hypothesis have failed to gain any traction. Prices three pillars are quite laughable. Even Fallingblood has put up a great rebuttal I follow over Prices original work.

Carrier has put up a better argument but even it is so weak, it gains no traction academia, and relies on way to much imagination.

steeltoes

I don't support a mythical Jesus other than to say that the biblical Jesus is mythical which at the same time goes without saying. Is there an historical Jesus behind the mythical Jesus, the redeemer of mankind, the dying and rising Son of God, perhaps there is. Beyond that there is all manner of opinions spewed about as if it is a well known fact either way. There is a ton of opinions offered as it concerns Josephus, Tacitus, et al.

As far as evidence goes for an historical Jesus, all I can say is that if we had as much evidence for Jesus as we have for Pontius Pilate, which isn't much, this thread would not exist.

Last edited: