• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John the Baptist accepted Islam

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I have explained myself three times on the point you are mentioning.

At that time being a muslim didnt mean believing in Muhammad peace be upon him and following him. At that time being a muslim meant following the last of the prophets who was Jesus peace be upon him.

Please reread what I wrote before.
Except that none of the earliest followers were called that. they were called Jews and, a little later, Christians.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If the term Muslim did not exist and the Arabs were or shipping idols. Then they like so many others were pagan worshippers and had no concept of Islam or monotheism.

Arabs did believe in Allah even before Muhammad. Muhammad did not invent the word "Allah".

Muhammad's father's name was Abdullah, meaning servant of Allah or consistent, steadfast and having consonance with Allah.

Regards

Harikrish

Originally Posted by 0ne-answer
I have explained myself three times on the point you are mentioning.

At that time being a muslim didnt mean believing in Muhammad peace be upon him and following him. At that time being a muslim meant following the last of the prophets who was Jesus peace be upon him.

Please reread what I wrote before.

Except that none of the earliest followers were called that. they were called Jews and, a little later, Christians.

And after Mohammad's arrival they all became Islamists. That must be the Islamic trinity doctrine. Three great religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) but all rolled into one great religion....Islam.

sojourner

And after Mohammad's arrival they all became Islamists. That must be the Islamic trinity doctrine. Three great religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) but all rolled into one great religion....Islam.
Because... Islam is all about misappropriation and entitlement?

mahasn ebn sawresho

This Pastor feels like paradise Mohamed
I think he's mentally ill
Better to become suicide bombers
To obtain the paradise and the delights and the number of nymphs
A sick mind
The thought of a patient

sojourner

A sick mind
The thought of a patient
This sort of feels like a haiku, but it's not. What the f*** are you saying??

Harikrish

Arabs did believe in Allah even before Muhammad. Muhammad did not invent the word "Allah".

Muhammad's father's name was Abdullah, meaning servant of Allah or consistent, steadfast and having consonance with Allah.

Regards

Yes Allah has its roots in pagan religions.

Arabian mythology is the set of ancient, pre-Islamic beliefs held by the Arab people. Prior to Islam, the Kaaba of Mecca was covered in symbols representing the myriad demons, djinn, demigods, or simply tribal gods and other assorted deities which represented the polytheistic culture of pre-Islamic Arabia. Among those deities were Allah which, for the Meccans, was a reference to a creator god who had three goddesses as daughters, and Hubal. It has been inferred from this plurality that this mythology flourished in an exceptionally broad context.[1] Many of the physical descriptions of the pre-Islamic gods are traced to idols, especially near the Kaaba, which is believed to have contained up to 360 of them.[1]

outhouse

Atheistically
A sick mind
The thought of a patient

Those who teach about islam afterlife, are sick in the head.

They teach these nut jobs to blow themselves up, and go to fantasy land with hot chicks.

Sickos should be in a mental institution.

A little rhetoric on my part :D but that is what he is trying to say.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
And I am saying that the term to accept Islam existed since the beginning because islam didn't start with Muhammaf peace be upon him. He was just the last prophet OF Islam.

But it did not mean "Islam". It may have meant "to god" in general. The same god that Muslims believe in today. But it would be like claiming that the root or trunk of a tree belonged to a single branch.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I'm more than aware of the technical terms in Greek for orality/oral traditions and I've read Bauckham. You are still left with nothing, as the agent which answers the question "who" did "what" to John the Baptist (as required by the grammar in the section in question) is already answered. This is indicated by the dual use of 3rd person verbs in the same line and the fact that the second is active. Moreover, given the participle "Ἀκούσας", the construction cannot indicate anything other than that Jesus had heard something concerning what happened to John that caused Jesus to flee/withdraw to into Galilee. The parallelism requires movement in space (which is the basic meaning of both Greek lexemes), not "conversion" and can't indicate that John converted to anything.

If the Greek could demonstrate that John accepted Islam, it would do so by using a 3rd person passive with an agent in the dative case. It doesn't. Ergo, this is bunk.

It is a bunk because you want to make it as a bunk but it isn't.

I'm more aware than you in the Arabic grammars and which was one of the ancient languages spoken in that area of the ME besides the Hebrew and Aramaic.

It states in a clear verse that John the baptist had entered Islam, of course Islam doesn't mean Muhammed but it means surrendering to the wills of God.

It doesn't make any sense that Jesus started preaching just because John entered the prison and as if John was the reason that Jesus was afraid to preach and also how Jesus will leave to preach while you think that he fled because he was afraid that he will be jailed similar to John then he supposed to hide than preaching freely.

Since you are Agnostic then it isn't surprising that you think of it as a bunk.

Last edited: