• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith - Prophet of God

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You do realize that the founder of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith Jr., had around 34 wives right?
Of course I realize that. Why would I not realize that?

Was he excommunicated?
Is that a serious question? Polygamy was an accepted LDS practice for a period of about 50 years. Joseph Smith had been dead for nearly 40 years when the practice was declared a felony in the United States in 1882. No one was excommunicated from the Church for having more than one wife until after 1896, when Utah was granted statehood and the practice was discontinued.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Of course I realize that. Why would I not realize that?
Because you said all Mormon men caught practicing polygamy are excommunicated. I was just pointing out that Joseph Smith Jr. was a Mormon caught practicing polygamy, and was not excommunicated. As was Brigham Young, and Orson Pratt (who also accused Smith of trying to seduce his wife, Sarah.)

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Was polygamy practiced in the Church in the past? Yes.

Is it practiced now? No.

Will a person be excommunicated for practicing now? Yes.

And, it's really apples and oranges, but nice try though.

For the record, I believe religion should be able to define "marriage" however it wants, and that the government should get out of the marriage business and perform only civil unions. But I digress, this thread isn't about that.

So why was it OK for them to practice it, but not everyone else? Were they any better than the rest of us to deserve such a privilege?

Nymphs

Well, it all depends on what you mean by proof. We learn scientific things through the laws of science, and we learn God's will and message through the spirit. I would no more apply the spiritual method to learn about gravity then I would the scientific method to learn about prophets.

And, yes, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

And therein lies the problem. The world is scientific, your spiritual beliefs cannot be proven, which makes them just beliefs, not facts.

Nymphs

Then stop trying to change the subject with irrelevant bold empty claims.

I'm not.

Joseph Smith is not a prophet (no objective proof).

That's the simple answer to the question.

There is no proof for his claims. It isn't empty, it is the truth.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'm not.

Joseph Smith is not a prophet (no objective proof).

That's the simple answer to the question.

There is no proof for his claims. It isn't empty, it is the truth.

Yet you keep repeating the empty claim "there is no god" in this thread.

One wonders why you are so intent on changing the subject every time it is pointed out you have done nothing in this thread bu make empty claims?

Are you going to present an argument any time soon?

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
11v2n8l.jpg