• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith - Prophet of God

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The question is rather how isn't it a Triune?
Very simply, the Bible never teaches of a triune (i.e. three-in-one) God. It teaches of three physically distinct persons: a divine Father, a divine Son, and a divine Holy Spirit, each of whom is perfectly and absolutely united in will, purpose, mind, and heart, and all of whom share all of the attributes of divinity.

God, The 'Son',/son in this context isn't literal son, as it was the Spirit
I'm sorry, but you lost me. Not trying to be difficult, but could you elaborate on this statement. I'm just not following wht you are trying to say.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Very simply, the Bible never teaches of a triune (i.e. three-in-one) God. It teaches of three physically distinct persons: a divine Father, a divine Son, and a divine Holy Spirit, each of whom is perfectly and absolutely united in will, purpose, mind, and heart, and all of whom share all of the attributes of divinity.

That's a trinity, basically. The communication breakdown here is that you seem to think that because God, Yeshua, and the Spirit are all different, they can't be connected ..the term "trinity" simply explains the connectivity of the Godhead, or Triune.

I'm sorry, but you lost me. Not trying to be difficult, but could you elaborate on this statement. I'm just not following wht you are trying to say.

I was simply explaining the makeup of the Triune to you, look, whether you want to say trinity or not, your definition that you provided yourself means trinity,...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's a trinity, basically.
Okay, it's "a trinity" but it's not "the Trinity" as defined by the 4th and 5th century creeds.

The communication breakdown here is that you seem to think that because God, Yeshua, and the Spirit are all different, they can't be connected ..the term "trinity" simply explains the connectivity of the Godhead, or Triune.
Excuse me? I just got through saying that they are "perfectly and absolutely united in will, purpose, mind, and heart." If that's not "connected," I don't know what is? ;)

I was simply explaining the makeup of the Triune to you, look, whether you want to say trinity or not, your definition that you provided yourself means trinity,...
I'll go with "godhead," simply because I don't accept the Nicene or Athanasian Creeds as being inspired of God or in accordance with His will. On the other hand, Spanish Mormons use the word "Trinidad" to mean "Godhead," so to that extent, I would agree that there is a "trinity" of persons, each of whom is divine.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Fabrication -
2.something fabricated, esp. an untruthful statement: His account of the robbery is a complete fabrication
Evidence -
1.that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof. 2.something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.

Quite apt when applied to the many allegations of Joseph Smith.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
I really don't like putting Joseph on a pedastal.

One of his fruits? Polygamy. I have a lot of questions about JS's personal experiences with this and how his actions opened the door for Warren Jeffs.

Probably not the answer you were looking for from a member - but I've got to be honest.

Funny thing is, the Mormon Church has been one of the biggest opponents of gay marriage. You can marry 34 women if you want (some of them as young as 14 or even cheating on their husbands with you,) but God forbid you settle down with one man, because that's what's destroying the sanctity of marriage.:facepalm:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Funny thing is, the Mormon Church has been one of the biggest opponents of gay marriage. You can marry 34 women if you want (some of them as young as 14 or even cheating on their husbands with you,) but God forbid you settle down with one man, because that's what's destroying the sanctity of marriage.:facepalm:
As a Mormon woman, I have absolutely no problem with gay marriage. I do, however, have a problem with lies. Any Mormon man who takes a second wife (of any age ) is promptly excommunicated. The same Church which fought against Prop 8 does not permit the practice of polygamy. Period. Not to mention the fact that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. Nice try, though.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
"The Golden Plates? Uh...they just kinda...umm... floated back into heaven. Yeah...that...that's what happened."
:facepalm: I see. So if an original manuscript no longer exists, it obviously never existed. :rolleyes: Seriously? Do you know how many ancient writings you're going to have to start insisting never existed in the first place?

Last edited:

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
As a Mormon woman, I have absolutely no problem with gay marriage. I do, however, have a problem with lies. Any Mormon man who takes a second wife (of any age ) is promptly excommunicated. The same Church which fought against Prop 8 does not permit the practice of polygamy. Period. Not to mention the fact that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. Nice try, though.

You do realize that the founder of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith Jr., had around 34 wives right? Was he excommunicated?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I do not practice any of the Abrahamic religions anyway, so the Ten Commandments are just as irrelevant.
I don't care what religion you practice or if you don't practice any religion at all. That's entirely immaterial. You simply don't believe te golden plates ever existed, and that's your prerogative. The fact that we don't have them today means nothing. Hundreds upon hundreds of ancient documents are lost forever to us. That doesn't mean they "floated up to heaven." Sorry, but that was an extremely juvenile response. I'm sure you can do better.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

You mean fought for Prop 8.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
I don't care what religion you practice or if you don't practice any religion at all. That's entirely immaterial. You simply don't believe te golden plates ever existed, and that's your prerogative. The fact that we don't have them today means nothing. Hundreds upon hundreds of ancient documents are lost forever to us. That doesn't mean they "floated up to heaven." Sorry, but that was an extremely juvenile response. I'm sure you can do better.
He literally said that Moroni took the plates back to heaven, but OK.

Watchmen

Premium Member

Was polygamy practiced in the Church in the past? Yes.

Is it practiced now? No.

Will a person be excommunicated for practicing now? Yes.

And, it's really apples and oranges, but nice try though.

For the record, I believe religion should be able to define "marriage" however it wants, and that the government should get out of the marriage business and perform only civil unions. But I digress, this thread isn't about that.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So, no objective proof that Joseph Smith is a prophet?

Awesome. :D

Well, it all depends on what you mean by proof. We learn scientific things through the laws of science, and we learn God's will and message through the spirit. I would no more apply the spiritual method to learn about gravity then I would the scientific method to learn about prophets.

And, yes, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
For the record, I believe religion should be able to define "marriage" however it wants, and that the government should get out of the marriage business and perform only civil unions. But I digress, this thread isn't about that.

Religion is free to define "marriage" however it wants.
However, religion is not free to shove its personal definition of "marriage" down everyone else's throat.

The government already "owns" the word marriage.
If religion ever really did have some "ownership" of the word, religion gave said ownership up long before same sex marriage became an issue with religion.