• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and Supplemental Material

Ehav4Ever

Also, Dr. Sledge points out how in the Hebrew Bible, personifications of disease are almost always under the direct command of Yahweh. But why would that be?

First, it is Dr. Sledge's "theory" that "yahweh" is even a correct pronuciation for anything. Even in ancient Canaanite it is not certain what their vowels were. Further, Torath Mosheh Jews do not use that term you have written nor do we claim it is valid. I even showed why using the Canaanite language in that video I showed you a while back.

In fact, there are Karaite Jews who have a different pronunciation than what you wrote that some of them use.

Third, I already showed how there are huge gaps in the modern understanding of ancient Middle Eastern cultures that no longer exist. I further show, that scholars are clear that the Canaanites were not a unified group and they did not share the same ideas. I also showed that Semetic languages have common root system for how words and languages developed. I also showed that just because a word has a certain sound in one language doesn't mean a similar "sounding" word in another local language has the same meaning.

Again, in order to prove a particular type of connection beyond that you need "proof" and not conjecture.

https://jewishaction.com/religion/jewish-culture/language/real-story-hebrew-pronunciation/

Click here for Yemenite Hebrew and Samaritan Hebrew then let's talk about how Hebrew Pronucation actually works.

Yemenite Hebrew - Wikipedia

Samaritan Hebrew - Wikipedia

Also, I'm not sure why you seem to disqualify all of Dr. Sledge's credentials. :confused:

I disqualified several "statements" he made where he provided no evidence for his statements. I also qualified things he stated that contradicted what you stated in some earlier posts. I have watched the videos you provide a couple of times. Also, because I can read Hebrew and know a few dialects similar to it and I also provided what is known and unknown about ancient Middle Eastern languages and cultures that "no longer exist" I have provided enough reasons why Dr. Sledge's information could be "misunderstood" or "misinterpreted" by someone who a) does not know the languages and b) does not know the cultures he is discussing.

Again, as I stated earlier. If he had to make the same presentation in Hebrew rather than English it would be a whole different discussion.

So, you think that Dr. Sledge is just making stuff up in his video. :confused:

As I stated before, he is not making areas that are his theory, conjecture clear. He also not providing proof for some of his claims. He is also placing graphics in areas where said text had no graphics which gives someone ho doesn't know the idea that the graphics are directly connected to what he is talking about. I have also said that if he had to present all of this in Hebrew he would not be able to make some of these claims as he has made them in English.

Sorry, but I don't know what that means, and I would have to watch that video some other time because like you said, there are only so many hours in a day. ;).

Ah. See, if the videos you have referenced don't discuss the Samaritans to the point where you don't know the significance of them only having a Torah and no Tanakh and the Samaritans having another source for ancient Hebrew then said videos have left a HUGE gap in the historical picture.

Ehav4Ever

the Hebrew words Dever and Resheph t.

In order to prove my point on this - me being scholarly and not religious in any way. Can you provde me something, written in the Canaanite language, with these two words on it? If not, how do you know how these two words were pronounced in Canaanite and what the Canaanite meant by them? Also, taking into account the following:

84565_a3412fcf3eab8fd948bea82ae177ae4f.png

84566_e26c18d59a79e41e9a1bd86c312eae11.png

84561_ca1c10840f4945bda19f5f1b3438be74.png

84562_1138fbcdcb645a2f243fc8e2361697cc.png

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Orthodox is the most common
No, not really. The largest percent of Jews worldwide are probably non-denominational, i.e., don't affiliate with any particular Jewish movement. Below are Reform who are somewhat higher than Conservative, and Orthodox represent the smallest percentage.

Swede01

No, not really. The largest percent of Jews worldwide are probably non-denominational, i.e., don't affiliate with any particular Jewish movement. Below are Reform who are somewhat higher than Conservative, and Orthodox represent the smallest percentage.

Oh interesting

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I can probably not do that because of the price and the time and my age tbh. I can reform it myself though and read the Torah
I never bothered to check your age until I saw this post. To me this post confirms that you are underaged, hence living with your parents, unable to move to a Jewish community and worried about what society will think about your potential conversion. As such, I would even less recommend any sort of conversion attempt, and I honestly doubt that even an online course would allow an underaged person doing something like this without parental permission. Will you just say that you are of age? Not a great way to start a conversion.

Moreover, teenagers and people in their twenties change a lot in a short matter of time. You may convert one day and a couple of months later, come to highly regret it. So it's probably best to wait until you're more comfortable with your views and beliefs and absolutely sure this is something you won't change your mind about.

Having said that, if you really want to study Jewish materials, you can go about it without converting. You may want to look into becoming a Noachide: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-modern-noahide-movement/

The Noahide World Center

What Does a Noahide Actually Do? - aish.com Bnei Noach, Ask The Rabbi

Noahidism - Wikipedia

Swede01

I never bothered to check your age until I saw this post. To me this post confirms that you are underaged, hence living with your parents, unable to move to a Jewish community and worried about what society will think about your potential conversion. As such, I would even less recommend any sort of conversion attempt, and I honestly doubt that even an online course would allow an underaged person doing something like this without parental permission. Will you just say that you are of age? Not a great way to start a conversion.

Moreover, teenagers and people in their twenties change a lot in a short matter of time. You may convert one day and a couple of months later, come to highly regret it. So it's probably best to wait until you're more comfortable with your views and beliefs and absolutely sure this is something you won't change your mind about.

Having said that, if you really want to study Jewish materials, you can go about it without converting. You may want to look into becoming a Noachide: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-modern-noahide-movement/

The Noahide World Center

What Does a Noahide Actually Do? - aish.com Bnei Noach, Ask The Rabbi

Noahidism - Wikipedia

I know what that is but that is not the same thing for me.

Swede01

So when you look towards conversion, do you intend to lie in order to get through it faster, as well?
Not funny. I did not do it on purpose even. I'll soon be 18 but I just did not find the time to pick the correct year for it because you could not write the year in but rather scroll

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I am not that. I am younger. I just picked a random age in order to get an account faster
I would rather that you did not pursue conversion. I would also rather not interact with someone who "just" fabricates for convenience. L'shalom ...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I know what that is but that is not the same thing for me.
So far you seem desperate for a very watered-down version of Judaism. I don't know if any Jewish member here thinks that's the real deal in any meaningful way, so I don't see how that's any better than Noahidism.

So I'll ask you: Why are you so desperate to become Jewish?

Swede01

So far you seem desperate for a very watered-down version of Judaism. I don't know if any Jewish member here thinks that's the real deal in any meaningful way, so I don't see how that's any better than Noahidism.

So I'll ask you: Why are you so desperate to become Jewish?

I am not that desperate that's why I said I won't stress it forward