• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalize Marijuana?

gnomon

Yes I do and that is the reason why I have an aberration to drug pusher, those that prescribe the use of pot to the mentally ill, you don’t have insight into your own mental illness ( if the story that you posted is true, I doubt that anyway), what do you think is the reason for you getting the shakes? You could be the only By-polar individual that has only one phase of the Bi-polar and need only one kind of medications, as for laxatives, why do you have to maintain a good intake of fluids? You have to ask the questions, it seem that you have an interest in making everybody a drug addict, and pushing this on the mentally ill is, well I don’t know what to call it. What kind of Bi-polar are you?

As anyone who works with bipolar people would know.......

When taking Lithium it is important to maintain proper water intake so that the level of Lithium in the blood does not reach a level that it could have a negative effect on one's kidneys. The shakes were probably due to maintianing a 1.0 mEq/L serum level. They were not bad and they actually disappeared over the course of a few months. Avoiding diuretics like coffee and maintaining simple water and sodium intake was not really that difficult. Sometimes annoying but that was all.

The fluids are not for bowel movements. They are for avoiding Lithium toxicity.

Marijuana is not a prescribed medication in the U.S. for mental health. No one is even talking about using marijuana as medication for mental health. At least, I know I'm not. Lithium is a drug that has been around for quite some time and perhaps one of the most effective medications on the market for treating not only manic-depression but certain schizophrenic symptoms as well.

I was on anti-psychotics and SSRI's as well for a period of six months prior to beginning Lithium treatment.

No laxatives.

As far as my diagnosis.....bipolar with symptoms of schizophrenia.

I no longer see any reason in continuing this line of discussion with the remarkably ignorant.

Last edited:

emiliano

When taking Lithium it is important to maintain proper water intake so that the level of Lithium in the blood does not reach a level that it could have a negative effect on one's kidneys. The shakes were probably due to maintianing a 1.0 mEq/L serum level. They were not bad and they actually disappeared over the course of a few months. Avoiding diuretics like coffee and maintaining simple water and sodium intake was not really that difficult. Sometimes annoying but that was all.

Marijuana is not a prescribed medication in the U.S. for mental health. No one is even talking about using marijuana as medication for mental health. At least, I know I'm not. Lithium is a drug that has been around for quite some time and perhaps one of the most effective medications on the market for treating not only manic-depression but certain schizophrenic symptoms as well.

I was on anti-psychotics and SSRI's as well for a period of six months prior to beginning Lithium treatment.

No laxatives.

I no longer see any reason in continuing this line of discussion with the remarkably ignorant.

That is what I said at the beginning , this is a good drug that have been use successfully for many years, but is extremely dangerous because it toxicity, because I work in a stand alone mental hospital we deal with the chronic, with those that have unsuccessful treatments with many other drugs, because their toxicity these medications are not for everyone, now to the shakes: caffeine like nicotine and alcohol gives people the shakes because it acts on the CNS, that is why people on meds that do, are also prescribe other medication to counteract this side-effects. The chronic Schizophrenic is treated with another oldie, Clozapine and the main problem is that is also highly toxic, thus we encourage our patients to abstain from using these drugs or marijuana in addition to their treatment, but to say that is quite understandable that the mentally ill uses it because it help them to cope, is unacceptable, now going back to the beginning: what we are debating is this “It seems the US would be better off regulating this marijuana trafficking. By legalizing marijuana, the US could tax the buyer (like cigarettes). I find this idea repugnant and have argue those that mask this aberrations as having a plethora of medicinal uses, even that it help the mentally ill, that marijuana addict are responsible people, no one goes bonkers under the influence of this drug, they just get funnier and sexy’
Lithium is such good drug, so effective that doctors treat it side-effects so that people can use it, but as I said it doesn’t work on some people. I have also said that the solution is education of our youth, but as you can see it is not easy task, the information put out by the proponent of legalization are seductive in extreme, it is mostly false but seductive, the monetary win-fall promised is a good example, it is presented as great savings, but the cost of policing it sell and distribution is hidden, it is as is generally the case in the US; it's presented as a right, a constitutional right, what decides it for me is that it is a drug that alters the normal thought process and impairs judgement, the fact that there are user of these of stuff that have responsible position in our societies makes it imperative that it is rigorously police and limitations on the recovery time be imposed, politician should be drug screened, and also doctors, judges, pilots etc, before they are allow to discharge the obligations of their higher office. Drivers and machine operators should be included, can you calculate the cost of protecting our societies? My counsel to you and anybody in treatment for a mental illness is, stay away from drugs that affect the CNS, it contraindicated, for the time been we will campaign against it legalization and try to stamp out the error of the past.

Stellify

StarChild
Yes I do and that is the reason why I have an aberration to drug pusher, those that prescribe the use of pot to the mentally ill, you don’t have insight into your own mental illness ( if the story that you posted is true, I doubt that anyway), what do you think is the reason for you getting the shakes? You could be the only By-polar individual that has only one phase of the Bi-polar and need only one kind of medications, as for laxatives, why do you have to maintain a good intake of fluids? You have to ask the questions, it seem that you have an interest in making everybody a drug addict, and pushing this on the mentally ill is, well I don’t know what to call it. What kind of Bi-polar are you?

Where did you get THAT idea from? I found his posts rather educational. Nowhere did I get the idea that anyone wanted to make people drug addicts.

[/font][/color]
Are you laughing about my arts now? :eek:
Not only do I stand up perfectly, but I also pump my arms up and down and stuff. :slap:

Wait a minute.. He was upside down, stoned and drunk and THAT impressed you!?!?!?
Aw man, if only the girls in the Netherlands were thát easy..

I know....:foot: :slap:

LOL and he was doing push-ups in that position. And he's a pretty large dude.

Don't worry, BBB. I still like you better :flirt:

Earlier in the discussion I gave a reason for this to be the case, mental illness still have more stigma attached to it than drug or alcohol abuse, they rather have people see them as drunkards, or addicts than crazy when they are in the middle of an episode. So what is the only morally acceptable course of action, but to fight the drug cartel and the lobbies, these are one and the same, medicinal use of marijuana, what do they take us for? Messing with you CNS not harmful? It is sexy, it cool, you will feel better These are the reasons why the lobbyist have managed to fool so many with their lies, this is why the vulnerable, the mentally ill is easy prey of this immoral people, seduction and our inaction that is what has caused this problem, it is a big one, what is propose? Give in and leave the field to them, legalise it. This is where the so called coping mechanism come from, drug pusher and pseudo-doctors.

I think you missed the point of what a coping mechanism is....
And the drug cartels and pro-legalization lobbyists are NOT one and the same. By far. You really need to check your facts.

As far as lying about the effects of a drug go...
Have you ever seen Reefer Madness or any of the other anti-marijuana scare-tactics that were used? Talk about lies :rolleyes:

No laxatives.

A little off-topic, I know, but:
How much water intake do you usually have a day? Do you just have to stay well-hydrated to keep the level below toxic? I'm curious :eek:

That is what I said at the beginning , this is a good drug that have been use successfully for many years, but is extremely dangerous because it toxicity, because I work in a stand alone mental hospital we deal with the chronic, with those that have unsuccessful treatments with many other drugs, because their toxicity these medications are not for everyone, now to the shakes: caffeine like nicotine and alcohol gives people the shakes because it acts on the CNS, that is why people on meds that do, are also prescribe other medication to counteract this side-effects. The chronic Schizophrenic is treated with another oldie, Clozapine and the main problem is that is also highly toxic, thus we encourage our patients to abstain from using these drugs or marijuana in addition to their treatment, but to say that is quite understandable that the mentally ill uses it because it help them to cope, is unacceptable, now going back to the beginning: what we are debating is this “It seems the US would be better off regulating this marijuana trafficking. By legalizing marijuana, the US could tax the buyer (like cigarettes).I find this idea repugnant and have argue those that mask this aberrations as having a plethora of medicinal uses, even that it help the mentally ill, that marijuana addict are responsible people, no one goes bonkers under the influence of this drug, they just get funnier and sexy’
Lithium is such good drug, so effective that doctors treat it side-effects so that people can use it, but as I said it doesn’t work on some people. I have also said that the solution is education of our youth, but as you can see it is not easy task, the information put out by the proponent of legalization are seductive in extreme, it is mostly false but seductive, the monetary win-fall promised is a good example, it is presented as great savings, but the cost of policing it sell and distribution is hidden, it is as is generally the case in the US; it's presented as a right, a constitutional right, what decides it for me is that it is a drug that alters the normal thought process and impairs judgement, the fact that there are user of these of stuff that have responsible position in our societies makes it imperative that it is rigorously police and limitations on the recovery time be imposed, politician should be drug screened, and also doctors, judges, pilots etc, before they are allow to discharge the obligations of their higher office. Drivers and machine operators should be included, can you calculate the cost of protecting our societies? My counsel to you and anybody in treatment for a mental illness is, stay away from drugs that affect the CNS, it contraindicated, for the time been we will campaign against it legalization and try to stamp out the error of the past.

The cost of policing the drug if it was legalized isn't hidden. It's simply compared to the cost of policing the trafficking going on NOW.

What exactly do you mean by "as is generally the case in the US"?

Drugs themselves aren't presented as a right. It's the freedom to chose that's presented as a right. Freedom of choice is a big thing for us, when it comes to many things, not just drugs. Many people see the restrictions the government has on what we're "allowed" to put into our bodies as a violation of our right to choose how we live our lives.

As far as drug screens go:
Many, MANY jobs have drug screens already. Not just major political figures and doctors, but everyone down to the kid working in the grocery store. Those kinds of systems are already in place.
So what's your point about the cost of protecting our society? :sarcastic

Last edited:

J Bryson

Unfortunately, this discussion is bearing little fruit, as it seems that the OP is cherrypicking parts of posts that he wishes to respond to, and willfully ignoring the rest. I'm going to back out, and wish the rest of you the best of luck.

DarkSun

:eltiT
I think it's still relevant when the incidences for alcohol-related incidents is so astronomically high that the difference in the number of users alone can't account for it.
Part of that post, as well, was to point out that it is very hard to prove that the ingesting of a drug is the CAUSE of violence (as opposed to violence that would have happened without a drug's influence). BUT alcohol is one of the few that IS known to cause violent behavior directly, and on a rather large scale.
I think that all came up because emiliano was trying to compare alcohol-related violence and marijuana-related violence.....I think I also pointed out that marijuana makes people less violent.

Marijuana gives my brother anxiety attacks when he's coming down... He belted my youngest brother across the backside with a metal pole one afternoon, and mum kicked him out.

And I have a friend whose brother used marijuana frequently. She has some similar stories to tell.

Now, I understand that apparently this shouldn't be happening if marijuana allegedly makes people less violent. It's just that my point is, people don't know how they're going to react to the drug. Everyone has a different chemical make-up, and relatively few know when they might have a bad reaction to some drugs because of it. For this reason, even if it isn't the "norm" for people to react violently after marijuana use, it can still happen. And pretty darn often too, from what I've seen.

And whether marijuana use or prior issues are the cause for violent behaviour after marijuana use is irrelevant. Pot does impair your ability to make judgements, and that in itself could catalyse violence.

Anywho, there was a point to me adding that book quote in there :D
Sorry...cold medicine makes me ramble a bit :eek:

Haha. :D

Be thankful pseudoephedrine is no longer used in cough tablets. :p

Stellify

StarChild
Marijuana gives my brother anxiety attacks when he's coming down... He belted my youngest brother across the backside with a metal pole one afternoon, and mum kicked him out.

And I have a friend whose brother used marijuana frequently. She has some similar stories to tell.

Now, I understand that apparently this shouldn't be happening if marijuana allegedly makes people less violent. It's just that my point is, people don't know how they're going to react to the drug. Everyone has a different chemical make-up, and relatively few know when they might have a bad reaction to some drugs because of it. For this reason, even if it isn't the "norm" for people to react violently after marijuana use, it can still happen. And pretty darn often too, from what I've seen.

And whether marijuana use or prior issues are the cause for violent behaviour after marijuana use is irrelevant. Pot does impair your ability to make judgements, and that in itself could catalyse violence.

Wow, you and I have had very different experiences with marijuana smokers. I've spent more time around them than almost anyone else I know (that is, more time than any non-habitual smoker I know) and have NEVER encountered that kind of behavior before. At least not when it was only marijuana being used, and the people using it were mentally sound. Nor have I ever heard of that kind of behavior happening, and it goes against everything I've learned about marijuana in my Drugs and Behavior class. I'm sorry that has been your experience :(

I wonder if there's a difference in the marijuana people have access to in your part of the world and the stuff they use here, and if that could account for it?

Be thankful pseudoephedrine is no longer used in cough tablets. :p
We still have pseudoephedrine in some of our over-the-counter medications here in the US lol. I end up taking it sometimes during the summers when I work out at the Renaissance Festival and my allergies get bad.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think grass should be legal to people 21 and over. At that point, your brain is pretty much fully formed and any effects THC might have on your brain's development will be negligible. I'm not sure THC does have any long term effects on developing brains, but until more is known about that, it would seem wise for younger people to avoid grass even if it were legal for them to indulge in it.

DarkSun

Wow, you and I have had very different experiences with marijuana smokers. I've spent more time around them than almost anyone else I know (that is, more time than any non-habitual smoker I know) and have NEVER encountered that kind of behavior before. At least not when it was only marijuana being used, and the people using it were mentally sound. Nor have I ever heard of that kind of behavior happening, and it goes against everything I've learned about marijuana in my Drugs and Behavior class. I'm sorry that has been your experience :(

I really don't know what it is, to be honest. There are other people I've heard from who can smoke marijuana without having many ongoing problems at all. It's just that the people I've been close to haven't had that luxury. Maybe I'm hanging out with a minority.

I wonder if there's a difference in the marijuana people have access to in your part of the world and the stuff they use here, and if that could account for it

It might, but that being said, I don't really have any idea. I've never wanted to use marijuana, so I don't know what type of stuff is common.

Australia and England both originated from similar places. I mean, we both came from the UK to begin with, before other ethnicities came into the picture. So genes shouldn't have much to do with it.

But again, I really don't know.

We still have pseudoephedrine in some of our over-the-counter medications here in the US lol. I end up taking it sometimes during the summers when I work out at the Renaissance Festival and my allergies get bad.

Haha! Really? Pseudoephedrine-based drugs aren't sold at a lot of pharmacies anymore, and you've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting them "over the counter" anywhere. Doctors tend to avoid prescribing them too.

People were buying cough medicine from pharmacies and taking it to their own mini "home labs" to turn the pseudoephedrine into meth.

Anyway, I think the government's planning to ban it out-right fairly soon.

Cold, flu drugs may be banned in crackdown | The Australian

Last edited:

Stellify

StarChild

I really don't know what it is, to be honest. There are other people I've heard from who can smoke marijuana without having many ongoing problems at all. It's just that the people I've been close to haven't had that luxury. Maybe I'm hanging out with a minority.

It might, but that being said, I don't really have any idea. I've never wanted to use marijuana, so I don't know what type of stuff is common.

Australia and England both originated from similar places. I mean, we both came from the UK to begin with, before other ethnicities came into the picture. So genes shouldn't have much to do with it.

But again, I really don't know.

Haha! Really? Pseudoephedrine-based drugs aren't sold at a lot of pharmacies anymore, and you've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting them "over the counter" anywhere. Doctors tend to avoid prescribing them too.

People were buying cough medicine from pharmacies and taking it to their own mini "home labs" to turn the pseudoephedrine into meth.

Anyway, I think the government's planning to ban it out-right fairly soon.

Cold, flu drugs may be banned in crackdown | The Australian

Huh. I wish I knew what could account for the difference. I think I have a pretty good idea of what marijuana users in the US can be like, imho. I've seen and been close with everything from the occasional user to the really heavy user who only smokes pot, to the heavy user who also does other drugs...
I've known users who were alcoholics, bipolar, schizophrenic, meth heads, you name it.

Yeah, I heard that the government is trying to phase out pseudoephedrine over there. I haven't heard of any plans for that here in the US, but then again I don't tend to keep up with that kind of stuff any more.

I can walk into any grocery store or pharmacy here and grab a bottle of allergy meds or decongestants with pseudoephedrine in it, and it's no biggie. I might have to supply my ID card, but that's it.

Although, if it's become such a huge problem over there in home meth labs, I wouldn't be surprised if the US doesn't have similar issues. I know certain areas outside of town around here have horrible meth lab problems...

J Bryson

In Los Angeles, if you buy a medicine containing pseudoephedrine, you have to sign a piece of paper pinky-swearing that you won't use it to make illegal narcotics.

Billions of US dollars (per year) are spent for marijuana. This money funds the drug cartels of Mexico and South America.

It seems the US would be better off regulating this marijuana trafficking. By legalizing marijuana, the US could tax the buyer (like cigarettes).

Should marijuana be made legal in the US and if so, would it change your mind on whether you would use marijuana?

I have long been a advocate for such but am also for legalizing all drugs and not just marijuana. It is my stance that if we take the criminal instinct out of the picture then we wouldn’t be having the dealer selling to kids on the corner of the school grounds. We wouldn’t have the addict stealing and killing to afford their habit. Addicts have the choice to either die and become the waste by-product of civilization or become more responsible for their own actions and live a more productive life with the choice to enjoy a high whenever they choose. The billions of tax dollars spent on jails and courts could be used for more productive uses to help the more serious ills we face like the economy, global warming, fuel alternatives, the poor, jobs, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t see any of this happening though. It is also my firm belief that the US government is the largest drug dealer in the world. If drugs were legalized the government would loose to much power and control. Think about it. Not just drugs but all crime. The government promotes it to help them grow. Government wants our kids to grow up dumb and stupid so they won’t go far and resort to crime and drugs. Citizens then complain that there way of life is being threatened by the crime and drug addicts and demand more action. Government then raises property taxes as well as ask and receive federal monies to further expand their growth by adding more law enforcement and jails. With a court system that has become a revolving door the cycle continues inevitably. This way of life has been instilled over the years through out our culture. Young men and women, from grade school and up, have been bombarded with all sorts of stimuli from TV, as well as peer pressures, to be different. Be themselves by wearing their pants down below their buttocks with a thuggish attitude toward any authority. Young women seem to attract to such and do themselves act as loose and promiscuous. They soon find themselves not being different at all but becoming exactly what they have in fact been conditioned, and brainwashed, into being by government. They will be the ones to commit the crimes and produce further more criminals for future growth of the system that bore them. Our greatest government of the world. The new world order. An order of power and control over all peoples from all over the world.

Then again this could just all be my conspiracy theorist ramblings. Our government wouldn’t do such a thing. Its here to help us. Right? And then again………

emiliano

Stellify,
The cost of policing the drug if it was legalized isn't hidden. It's simply compared to the cost of policing the trafficking going on NOW.
Not so the police will have to be retooled to the job of catching and prosecuting people driving under the influence of marijuana, wont they? People sent home from work for failing the drug test, how much money is involved on that?

What exactly do you mean by "as is generally the case in the US"?
Well, it is that you have a system that I cannot understand, it goes like this, if the founding fathers did not say that marijuana should be control and that is actually an illegal drug, then is legal, it is your right to smoke, if they said every man have a right to carry arms them. it is your right to carry one.

Drugs themselves aren't presented as a right. It's the freedom to chose that's presented as a right. Freedom of choice is a big thing for us, when it comes to many things, not just drugs. Many people see the restrictions the government has on what we're "allowed" to put into our bodies as a violation of our right to choose how we live our lives.
How do you deal with situations where your choices interfere with someone else’s rights? For example cigarette smoking, I don’t smoke, why have I been forced to live with secondary smoking for so many years?
As far as drug screens go: Many, MANY jobs have drug screens already. Not just major political figures and doctors, but everyone down to the kid working in the grocery store. Those kinds of systems are already in place.
So what's your point about the cost of protecting our society?
What would you say is the cost in lost production due to this little caper? And in the case of doctors, replacing a doctor is costly, how long would a person have to be prevented from carrying out his functions after failing a drug screening?, what about pilots, minister, government officials, as I gather it is used to relax the nerves, so the most likely users would be those in occupations that are stressful, as I said factor in these items in the cost calculations and you will find that is not a money making enterprise that government would benefit from.

DarkSun

I think grass should be legal to people 21 and over. At that point, your brain is pretty much fully formed and any effects THC might have on your brain's development will be negligible. I'm not sure THC does have any long term effects on developing brains, but until more is known about that, it would seem wise for younger people to avoid grass even if it were legal for them to indulge in it.

Probably.

Stellify

StarChild
Stellify,
Not so the police will have to be retooled to the job of catching and prosecuting people driving under the influence of marijuana, wont they? People sent home from work for failing the drug test, how much money is involved on that?
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood me.

I'm not saying that making marijuana legal would entail no extra cost.
You said that the "cost" was being hidden from people. I was saying that I disagree. People know there will be a cost for encompassing the changes legalization would entail. They ALSO know that there is a huge cost RIGHT NOW to keep it illegal. Many people think that the cost of keeping it illegal is greater than what it would be to legalize it.

Well, it is that you have a system that I cannot understand, it goes like this, if the founding fathers did not say that marijuana should be control and that is actually an illegal drug, then is legal, it is your right to smoke, if they said every man have a right to carry arms them. it is your right to carry one.
Well, yes...We have laws just like anyone. Based off of the writings and beliefs of our founding fathers. Things such as life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Basic human rights, etc. As I said, it's not that people have a "right" to smoke marijuana specifically. The argument is that people have a "right" to decide for themselves what they do with their own bodies.

Is there any place where that logic doesn't apply (in the underlined, bold part of your quote)?
I mean...if the law doesn't say something is illegal....then it's legal, right?

I'm not understanding your thought process here.....at all :areyoucra

How do you deal with situations where your choices interfere with someone else’s rights? For example cigarette smoking, I don’t smoke, why have I been forced to live with secondary smoking for so many years?
The laws that have been enacted so far have been things like banning cigarette smoking in public areas such as schools, hospitals, restaurants, bars, etc. etc.
More laws like that are being discussed and passed all the time. They seem to be working fairly well at keeping second-hand smoke to a minimum in public areas.
I would assume that similar laws would be enacted if ever marijuana was legalized.
What would you say is the cost in lost production due to this little caper? And in the case of doctors, replacing a doctor is costly, how long would a person have to be prevented from carrying out his functions after failing a drug screening?, what about pilots, minister, government officials, as I gather it is used to relax the nerves, so the most likely users would be those in occupations that are stressful, as I said factor in these items in the cost calculations and you will find that is not a money making enterprise that government would benefit from.

How is drug screening a "little caper"? :areyoucra

The point of drug screening is to keep people safe. Not only does it make it possible to get rid of people who do drugs in jobs where it is unacceptable, but it encourages employees to not do drugs in the first place.

It works as a preventative measure as well, you know. Doctors and pharmacists know that they will be closely monitored for drug use, and possibly lose their jobs if they fail a screening, so they don't do drugs in the first place.

It seems like you think I was suggesting drug screening if marijuana was legalized. What I was actually SAYING was that drug screening is already used now.
So you wouldn't really have to add drug screening in your "cost calculation" for legalization....it's already in practice.

I'm still not sure what your argument with this is...? :confused:

DarkSun

Hey, I just thought of something now.

If marijuana were proven to be a cause of psychosis, mental illness or violence, would any of its advocates still want to use it for recreation?

DarkSun

In Los Angeles, if you buy a medicine containing pseudoephedrine, you have to sign a piece of paper pinky-swearing that you won't use it to make illegal narcotics.

What happens if they happen to make illegal narcotics anyway? Will Obama be upset and refuse to invite those people to his birthday party?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Hey, I just thought of something now.

If marijuana were proven to be a cause of psychosis, mental illness or violence, would any of its advocates still want to use it for recreation?

Eventually it turns ito a fun/risk story.. Is the fun worth the risk..
But I believe we discussed that before :D

DarkSun

Eventually it turns ito a fun/risk story.. Is the fun worth the risk..
But I believe we discussed that before :D

I think we have. :D

In the end, when your personal fun has the potential to emotionally or physically affect others, then that's when the epicurean framework fails.

But let's not go there. :eek:

Last edited: