• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Present Some Evidence ...

nonbeliever_92

So PureX, you present a claim of evidence, people refute those claims of evidence, you can't refute their refutations, so you run away? Nice. Good job at defending your position... And still there's not one single shred of evidence posted in this thread. :facepalm:

P.S. If you want someone to present you some evidence against god start a topic titled as such.

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
There are several threads on which people have been arguing about the "evidence" or lack thereof of the existence of "God".

I tend to look at it like this....My "God" you could say, is everything that exists, the evidence for which shows itself. I just don't usually call it "God", nor do I believe it to be something "supernatural".

Last edited:

nonbeliever_92

I tend to look at it like this....My "God" you could say, is everything that exists, the evidence for which shows itself. I just don't usually call it "God", nor do I believe it to be something "supernatural".

I also believe that everything that exists does exist. This is one assertion that no one can refute.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism

Don't have to. :beach: If it is something that actually exists that we know about, usually science alone proves it. But there may be things that actually exist that science is just unaware of also. Metaphorically speaking, perhaps it is like a two-sided coin. Most people either see one side or the other. I choose to view it from the rim or edge that goes all around the outside of the coin. From that point of view, both sides become apparent.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Don't have to. :beach: If it is something that actually exists that we know about, usually science alone proves it. But there may be things that actually exist that science is just unaware of also. Metaphorically speaking, perhaps it is like a two-sided coin. Most people either see one side or the other. I choose to view it from the rim or edge that goes all around the outside of the coin. From that point of view, both sides become apparent.
so sorry.
I was not clear enough.

I will try again....

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
so sorry.
I was not clear enough.

I will try again....

:facepalm: Oh well, even if all of what we know through scientific means and mathematics and physics is just some grand illusion created in our minds, I could still call it what I do...Spirit.

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Exactly. It's logically self-evident. But this thread has sunk to the point where the hounds can't even hear their own barks. They're in a frenzy and will even bite at each other to get at their pray.

It's kinda like looking for a peanut in a bag full of peanuts and still not finding a peanut.:areyoucra Sounds kinda nuts doesn't it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
whats that law again...
You know the one.

the one where person a is trying to be a smart arse and poke a little fun at fundies but it gets taken as being serious....

I forget the name of it.....

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And isn't there yet another law about the ones who mistakenly take it serious go to great lengths to break their own arms patting themselves on their backs because they think they so cleverly "owned" the one being a smart arse until they figure it all out?

I cannot remember that one either....

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
whats that law again...
You know the one.

the one where person a is trying to be a smart arse and poke a little fun at fundies but it gets taken as being serious....

I forget the name of it.....

Sorry, if I understood you wrongly.:sorry1: If I twist my leg to kick myself in the arse for being such a dolt will it make you feel better?:D

It is the wise donkey that realizes when he's being an...uh...you know.:p That was referring to me.:cover:

Last edited:

Commoner

Headache
Exactly. It's logically self-evident. But this thread has sunk to the point where the hounds can't even hear their own barks. They're in a frenzy and will even bite at each other to get at their pray.

Come on now, stop hiding that evidence! We know you have it! :D

:facepalm:

richardlowellt

And isn't there yet another law about the ones who mistakenly take it serious go to great lengths to break their own arms patting themselves on their backs because they think they so cleverly "owned" the one being a smart arse until they figure it all out?

I cannot remember that one either....
I am just a bit curious, s that all you do is lay in the weeds waiting to make a zippy comment, and then duck back into the weeds? Have you ever posted anything? Taken a position on something? If you have I don't recall seeing it, I could be wrong. Just wondering!!!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I am just a bit curious, s that all you do is lay in the weeds waiting to make a zippy comment, and then duck back into the weeds? Have you ever posted anything? Taken a position on something? If you have I don't recall seeing it, I could be wrong. Just wondering!!!
yes.
For four years and three months, for over 11,250 posts, that is all I have done.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well, I think you need to get out and play some golf, go sailing, play some poker, look for sea glass, fly a kite, ride a bike, join an adult hockey league, although I did loose a front tooth doing that, so maybe forget that!
I go fishing, geocaching, play World of Warcraft, help my children with their homework, clean the house, do dishes, wash, dry, fold, and put away the laundry, and i will continue to do all the above when I am called back from furlough.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Ok. I read the entire thread. It was interesting, and I decided I'd like to give my own two cents as to the original evidence presented in the OP, even though it might have been done to death by this point.
1. The idea of God works for most people most of the time. Ideas that work for us on a regular basis tend to be taken as accurate.
Hm. Note how you worded that: "tend to be taken as accurate". So, ideas that work for us are taken as accurate, but this does not say anything about whether they actually are accurate or not.

Also, of course people believe that the things they believe in are true. Otherwise, why believe them? Again, this says nothing as to the validity of the belief.

Also, there is a thing to be said about self-fullfilling prophecies. This happens with psychics all the time: a "prophecy" made by the psychic ends up being shoe-horned into whatever happens in that person's life, thereby coming "true."

You used the example of a person becoming a better person through his belief in God, ie, he believes God exists, and that God believes certain things are sinful, therefore man prays to God and works on removing those sinful things from his life, thereby becoming a better person.

The problem with this example is that God does not have to exist for the same result to occur. Merely believing that God exists is sufficient.

2. The ordered nature of existence forces us to consider the reality of a "God". Existence is not random. How do we explain this? What is responsible for the order? And why? The answers to these questions are a mystery, and we have named this mystery "God".

I would rephrase the opening sentence as "it forces us to consider the possibility of God", although force might also be too strong.

The order of the universe isn't surprising to me. It makes sense that if there are basic laws underpinning the movement and joining of atoms and molecules, that order would inevitably result.

As for your last sentence, I thought "God" was supposed to do away with the mystery: God answers all those existential "whys". That is why belief in God is so appealing-- nothing need be a mystery when you believe that God just did it all.

3. Energy can express itself as consciousness (take ourselves as an example), again, forcing us to consider that a consciousness could in turn express itself as energy (in much the same way as matter and energy are interchangeable). If so, all of existence could well be the "mind of God, expressed", just as the ancients claimed.

This one doesn't seem to be evidence insomuch as a hypothesis.