• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Present Some Evidence ...

Atheologian

John Frum
Asking how mythology relates to the study of ancient religion is like asking how taxidermy is related to skinning animals.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
By the way, this isn't a chat. It's okay to more than one thought in a single post and not take up so much room. ;)

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yes, but while consciousness persists, it matters. Or do you think that we should act as if it did not?

It matters, but no more than does God, love, beauty, and justice. And keep in mind, too, that "truth" is not something we can perceive except in a limited and relative way. So I would say that honesty is really the more important pursuit. Those aspects of us that you're calling "real" are just physical. And unconscious physicality just isn't very important in any way that I can see.

Really? I don't know you, but I suspect that you avoid walking into walls and stepping off of cliffs. Well, you've survived physical reality long enough to argue against it in these posts anyway. :D

You're falling back into the trap of labeling God as an "imaginary being". "God" is a complex concept that very often does not include any imaginary beings, and even when it does, is coupled with the awareness that this is just an intellectual mechanism. It's an idealized image that people find momentarily helpful.

I disagree. I think that most believers take the existence of their gods quite seriously, not just as mental abstractions. I call God "imaginary", because I think that they are mistaken to think him anything other than a mental abstraction. You, on the other hand, seem to have fallen into the trap of confusing the model with that which the model represents.

Whatever will be, will be. All I have right now of reality is what I can perceive of it.

Your tautologies are as profound and meaningful as tautologies usually are. :)

Atheologian

John Frum
I think that what most people consider "feeling the presence" of God, or, as Tim Haggard put it, "feeling the presents of God", is no more than chemical reactions in the brain, caused by hormones, liptids and endorphins.

Atheologian

John Frum
Really? I don't know you, but I suspect that you avoid walking into walls and stepping off of cliffs. Well, you've survived physical reality long enough to argue against it in these posts anyway. :D

I disagree. I think that most believers take the existence of their gods quite seriously, not just as mental abstractions. I call God "imaginary", because I think that they are mistaken to think him anything other than a mental abstraction. You, on the other hand, seem to have fallen into the trap of confusing the model with that which the model represents.

Your tautologies are as profound and meaningful as tautologies usually are. :)

I totally agree. tautologies usually are profound :D He's also right about most people taking religion VERY seriously and quite literaly. Being an exception to the rule, you should understand that PureX.