• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No, it's not. It's based on how to run a successful community. If we let people go around killing others, it would be a big hinderance to the entire community. It has nothing to do with the morality of it. That's why things like same-sex marriage should be allowed because the government shouldn't be setting laws according to anyone's morality.

And judging by your next post, I'm not quite sure you have a full grasp on what an oxymoron is. Several of your examples simply can't fit the definition. Others just don't.

Judging by this post, I would say you don't have a full grasp of the subleties of humor and irony. I know exactly what an oxymoron is, but I can't help you much if you can't reason out the examples I gave. Of course, you may not AGREE with each one I listed, but that doesn't invalidate them.

As for your "argument" about morality and the law, do you really think that killing someone is not a moral issue?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Judging by this post, I would say you don't have a full grasp of the subleties of humor and irony. I know exactly what an oxymoron is, but I can't help you much if you can't reason out the examples I gave. Of course, you may not AGREE with each one I listed, but that doesn't invalidate them.

That's why I said some of them can't be oxmorons. I understand that it's your opinion on some of them, but others just don't work.

As for your argument about morality and the law, do you really think that killing someone is not a moral issue?

Not when it comes to the law, no. It is a moral issue for a lot of people, but not for the law. Do you really think it is a moral issue in regards to the law?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe that the law mirrors the moral standards of the community. Our law in the United States has it's basis in Judeo Christian beliefs. If that changes, it will be because the community's moral basis changes.

Care to give me an example of one of my oxymorons that you don't think qualifies?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I believe that the law mirrors the moral standards of the community. Our law in the United States has it's basis in Judeo Christian beliefs. If that changes, it will be because the community's moral basis changes.

Well, that may be, but that wouldn't be how the government's intended to work. It also doesn't mirror the moral standards of the community. There are a lot of people who think a lot of things are immoral that aren't part of the government. I mean, not even all of the ten commandments are laws.

Care to give me an example of one of my oxymorons that you don't think qualifies?

Sure, let's start at the top with "public servant".

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Sure, you hit the "ridiculous" button, but that's nothing new for you.
Posters were posting their ideas of oxymorons in, what I perceived as, tongue in cheek. I simply responded with a similar tongue in cheek post. What is wrong with that?

If you can not take it, do not dish it out.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Posters were posting their ideas of oxymorons in, what I perceived as, tongue in cheek. I simply responded with a similar tongue in cheek post. What is wrong with that?

If you can not take it, do not dish it out.

Oh, I can take it, I just wish you'd call a spade a spade.

OmarKhayyam

"I'm still waiting for some real proof that liberal and Christian is an oxymoron..."

It is NOT "liberal" and - . It is "liberal christian."

The point being that liberal or modern theology is NOT Christianity but a perversion of it.

A position voiced often here by CP Blu and ItwillEnd to name three off the top of my head.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
"I'm still waiting for some real proof that liberal and Christian is an oxymoron..."

It is NOT "liberal" and - . It is "liberal christian."

The point being that liberal or modern theology is NOT Christianity but a perversion of it.

A position voiced often here by CP Blu and ItwillEnd to name three off the top of my head.
That position is wrong. Christian theology, but its very definition, is liberal. Radical love, radical mercy to enemies, radical compassion for the downtrodden, radical inclusion of the dirty and disenfranchised, radical identity of the "pure" with the "unclean" (Which, BTW, is the very foundation of Xy -- that God became dirty for us).
Xy became perverted the moment it was imperialized and was given the stamp of approval by the State. The worst thing ever to happen to Xy was to legalize it and make it part of the problem.

J Bryson

Conservative Christianity rarely if ever preaches the message of Christ. Old Testament? Sure. Revelation? Sure. Opinions of the various apostles regarding how they saw Jesus, his death, his alleged resurrection, and what one needed to do to get right with him? You betcha. However, in my perusal of various orthodox (as opposed to Orthodox) and Calvinistic sites, I rarely if ever see references to the Sermon on the Mount, or what Jesus was trying to do as he drove the moneychangers out of the temple. It seems to me that the Calvinists have betrayed what seems to be the overriding message of love in a manner that would cause Rome to blush.

OmarKhayyam

"It seems to me that the Calvinists have betrayed what seems to be the overriding message of love in a manner that would cause Rome to blush."

Even if you are right (which I doubt) it doesn't matter. The conservative version IS the established one and most widely followed and most aggressive.

Whatever message of "love" you think you see it is, at best an afterthought. And the proof of that is simply what it preached and taught all over this country 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

J Bryson

"It seems to me that the Calvinists have betrayed what seems to be the overriding message of love in a manner that would cause Rome to blush."

Even if you are right (which I doubt) it doesn't matter. The conservative version IS the established one and most widely followed and most aggressive.

Whatever message of "love" you think you see it is, at best an afterthought. And the proof of that is simply what it preached and taught all over this country 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Of course it matters. Even after two thousand years of corruption, over the centuries of dogma placed so as to smother the abiding message of hope and love, through endless years of oppression caused in the name of one who preached a gospel of social justice, it matters.

It matters because of this:
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Salt and Light

13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

It matters because he stated outright that the Sabbath was for the sake of humans, and humans were not for the sake of the Sabbath.

It matters because he stated that a Samaritan who was willing to help a wounded person at the side of the road was worth more in God's eyes than a high priest who passed by the wounded person.

It matters because he ministered to lepers and hemorrhaging people, who were considered unclean in the eyes of the religious leadership, and treated them with kindness and compassion.

It matters because he saw those who sat in judgment over the sins of others to be worthier of far harsher judgments than those that they meted out.

It matters because he saw the corruption of the merchants and the moneylenders in the temple who took advantage of poor pilgrims, and threw them out bodily rather than suffer their venal presence in the house of God.

It matters because ever since his death, all of these teachings have been perverted into a form that I suspect would be unrecognizable to him, in fact one opposite to everything that he preached over the course of his ministry. With every stone cast against gay people over the airwaves, every sneering implication that some popular progressive figure may be the Antichrist, every flash of subtle antisemitism, every "It was the result of turning away from God" stated in the place of a compassionate response to the victims of natural disasters or terrorist attacks, every vile untruth uttered in the name of a man who spoke the truth who best he saw it...it's as if he's being crucified time and again, and this time it is not his father who has forsaken him, but rather those who call themselves his children. The rest of us sit at the foot of the cross and mutter "Oh, how terrible," but so few are willing to stand up and say "Stop!"

That's why it matters, Omar.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Of course it matters. Even after two thousand years of corruption, over the centuries of dogma placed so as to smother the abiding message of hope and love, through endless years of oppression caused in the name of one who preached a gospel of social justice, it matters.

It matters because of this:

It matters because he stated outright that the Sabbath was for the sake of humans, and humans were not for the sake of the Sabbath.

It matters because he stated that a Samaritan who was willing to help a wounded person at the side of the road was worth more in God's eyes than a high priest who passed by the wounded person.

It matters because he ministered to lepers and hemorrhaging people, who were considered unclean in the eyes of the religious leadership, and treated them with kindness and compassion.

It matters because he saw those who sat in judgment over the sins of others to be worthier of far harsher judgments than those that they meted out.

It matters because he saw the corruption of the merchants and the moneylenders in the temple who took advantage of poor pilgrims, and threw them out bodily rather than suffer their venal presence in the house of God.

It matters because ever since his death, all of these teachings have been perverted into a form that I suspect would be unrecognizable to him, in fact one opposite to everything that he preached over the course of his ministry. With every stone cast against gay people over the airwaves, every sneering implication that some popular progressive figure may be the Antichrist, every flash of subtle antisemitism, every "It was the result of turning away from God" stated in the place of a compassionate response to the victims of natural disasters or terrorist attacks, every vile untruth uttered in the name of a man who spoke the truth who best he saw it...it's as if he's being crucified time and again, and this time it is not his father who has forsaken him, but rather those who call themselves his children. The rest of us sit at the foot of the cross and mutter "Oh, how terrible," but so few are willing to stand up and say "Stop!"

That's why it matters, Omar.
I can't frubal you! :sad4:

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Last edited:

OmarKhayyam

I note you didn't answer the argument. Or even attempt to. Just spouted your mythology.

It doesn't matter because very few even know what you posted, much less give a F*F* about it. And that has been the case for a long time.

It is a myth. Like Santa Claus fit for children and the infirm.

The rest of us KNOW better.

J Bryson

I note you didn't answer the argument. Or even attempt to. Just spouted your mythology.

It doesn't matter because very few even know what you posted, much less give a F*F* about it. And that has been the case for a long time.

It is a myth. Like Santa Claus fit for children and the infirm.

The rest of us KNOW better.

What argument?

I answered your suspicion that I was wrong regarding the message of love with what I thought were several relevant examples. I then answered why it mattered that he had preached a message of love in response to your statement that it didn't matter, and included reasons why I choose to fight against this.

Please note that this isn't "my" mythology, by the way. I'm skeptical of the claims that Jesus is the Son of God, and don't take the Gospels as gospel. However, I do have an appreciation for what it seems that Jesus was trying to do during his life, and will express that admiration vehemently.