• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Liberal Christian" is an oxymoron!

blackout

Violet.
Leaving the Roman Catholic Faith is not the same as rejecting historic Biblical Christianity. I believe the Protestant Reformation was a work of God to recover the biblical gospel of God's grace.

Oooop! And I really don't CARE what you believe.

I believe something different. So there. :p

blackout

Violet.
It's nice to know that you are reading my posts.

Don't flatter yourself.
(it's not like I go seeking you out or anything! haha!)

I read them all in a row.
You often provide comic relief anyhow. ;)

Oooohhh! I see you've switched to purple!
(I must be having an effect) lulz

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I have to say that, reading this thread, and watching all of the various takes on "what defines a Christian" has been an absolute laugh riot for this agnostic.

It's like watching ten pre-schoolers all argue about the biggest number.

blackout

Violet.
I have to say that, reading this thread, and watching all of the various takes on "what defines a Christian" has been an absolute laugh riot for this agnostic.

It's like watching ten pre-schoolers all argue about the biggest number.

It IS a total laugh riot!

I don't even mind if you insinuated that I'm (like) a pre-schooler. lol. :D
It is so stupid, it's funny!

logician

If you want to see how many types of "Christians" there are, check out churches in the yellow pages of any large city.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
But you said-
"I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church"

I'd never say that myself, not ever in any way shape or form..;)

Yes, I said that - because I'm not a knee-jerk paranoid type of "Christian."

What I quoted is the ancient Apostle's Creed from about the fourth century which is used worldwide by countless numbers of Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox churches as a synopsis of their Christian faith. It does NOT mean Roman Catholic.

Once again - "catholic" used in this context simply means "universal."

Kathryn

You know Kathryn, I did not mean to come off as condescending or insulting in my previous post,
but very often people will say of those who have left (mainstream/"accepted") christianity,
that it was because they "did not study" or "didn't read the bible",
and I was stating that this was most definately NOT the case with me.

I believe you - no offense taken. I have a lot of respect for your intellect.

On top of all my general christian & catholic "study"....
I was also the only paid musician in a Roman Catholic parish (for almost 10 years),
which kept me in constant weekly connection with the ins and outs of the Liturgy.
(which I know doesn't "count" for all of you non liturgical types. :shrug: )

LOL, did you read my title? I call myself a "liturgical Christian." I also used to be Roman Catholic - and the Methodist Church is also liturgical.

Anyhow, once I experienced prolonged epiphany/ HEIGHTened Reality,
all of that "study" amounted to nothing.
The direct experience of gOd renders it all ... well... meh. eh. :shrug:

Study is just a part of my faith. I experience God in some pretty intense ways myself at times.

blackout

Violet.
I believe you - no offense taken. I have a lot of respect for your intellect.

LOL, did you read my title? I call myself a "liturgical Christian." I also used to be Roman Catholic - and the Methodist Church is also liturgical.

I know you are. I was referring to a couple of others around here actually......;) :D
(as demonstrated by post #119 )

Study is just a part of my faith. I experience God in some pretty intense ways myself at times.

Wasn't and never would pretend to know or judge anyone else's (personal) experience of gOd.
Especially if it were not something we had shared about intimately over time.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It just seems like to me you can be "more liberal or less conservative" or "more conservative or less liberal" depending on who you are talking to and what you are talking about.(and when it is and under what circumstances)

Its "infinity".

Love

Dallas

Jordan St. Francis

This such bull crap! Spong a disaster? He may be out on a limb theologically, but he makes us think in different ways (which is something conservatives aren't known for).
If Spong is a disaster, then I think we'd have to conclude that Jesus was a disaster. Which isn't true, either.

Spong, IMO, has abandoned Christianity. Thinking in different ways? That is not in and of itself profound. The man teaches that theism is dead and saps the whole mystery from the Christian religion in favor of a secular humanism packaged in Christian pictures.

Kathryn

Stalin made us think in different ways too. That in itself doesn't make someone either holy or a disaster.

Spong's "theology" is so rampantly ridiculous that I would not even call his views Christian at all. There's a line somewhere, and he's crossed it IMO.

A

angellous_evangellous

Stalin made us think in different ways too. That in itself doesn't make someone either holy or a disaster.

Spong's "theology" is so rampantly ridiculous that I would not even call his views Christian at all. There's a line somewhere, and he's crossed it IMO.

Here's a meditation of mine...

Questions to keep in mind when approaching theology:

Is there a difference between a small misunderstanding about God and a huge misunderstanding about God?

What does God's love, grace, and beneficence mean and how far does it extend? Are there limits, and if so, what are they?

keithnurse

You got that right - and that's why I didn't answer the other questions that used one verse at a time as ammunition. We could sling isolated verses taken out of context back and forth at each other all day long - and prove nothing. In fact, all we would accomplish would be undermining the truths of our shared Christian faith. In fact, that's a terrible example in a forum of mixed faiths, because isolated verses taken out of context often seem to contradict each other, which bolsters the belief of many that the bible is full of contradictions. In reality, with good study habits, it's pretty easy to come to the realization that there are very few contradictions in the Bible - if any, for that matter.
If you think there are no contradictions in the Bible check out:
www.theskepticalreview.com It is produced by Farrell Till, a former Church of Christ preacher that exposes contradictions in the bible and welcomes articles by those who try to refute claims of contradictions in the Bible. Liberal Christianity is NOT an oxymoron unless the story of Jesus in the Gospels is literally true and the whole Bible is literally the word of a god. I think all religions are human made so all religions can have a literalist or nonliteralist interpretation.