• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Library Idiocy

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
You're probably right, but I don't think anyone would find these books disturbing, in fact many people would enjoy hardcore stuff I'm sure.
I should probably correct myself and say that LGBT books were likely found sexually disturbing to local residents so they decided to defund the library.

homosexuality is definitely not huge part of human experience

Actually, various histories among the world's cultures document the existence of same-sex and non-gender conforming within their socieities. E.g., among the ancient Assyrians, Greeks, Romans, India, and Melanesia; even medieval Italy. That doesn't begin to include other parts of the world like North America and South American peoples.

and beside that I think books on sexuality are absolutely unneeded.
That would set the medical community back by a few centuries.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Well yeah... Which is why that sort of discussion is reserved for close friends. And not for bragging with acquaintances or coworkers. Imo. So it's not really "public" discourse.

And I would never consider a book discussing sex/sexuality as "public" either, even in a library. Otherwise there is a litany of classic works, they'd have to get rid of. Or anything by Nora Roberts... Or other "romance" authors that also depicted sex scenes.

Our society is really regressing. I'm old enough to remember when The Joy of Sex was literally all the rage in mainstream 'Merica, it was on The New York Times Best Seller list for a couple of years. I also remember how many friends' parents had a copy buried in a dresser drawer and a few times when schoolmates nicked said copies and brought them to school for us to wide-eyed flip through. That book was mainstream popular for a couple of decades with multiple editions, translated into several languages and there was a sequel manual. Thousands of "nice, wholesome, family value loving American" heterosexual married couples owned it and there wasn't a person that didn't know about it. So much so that even 35+ years later it was referenced at the beginning of one of That 70s Show's episodes :

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
More and more straw men. Do you know how to discuss a topic or can you just recite canned 2 bit baseless attacks?
Notice the qualifiers I used there? That means I'm not being declarative, but provisional and you can correct it rather than being defensive and making your own accusations without understanding how language is not cut and dry

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
'Twould be a good thing, perhaps, because he's ok with rape in at least one situation and refuses to acknowledge this situation of consentless sex (specifically when consent is withdrawn) as rape.
Do they even understand the nuance of informed and enthusiastic consent and how you can have the latter without the former?

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Then let me very clear. I reject your many baseless accusations, insults and very undignified behavior. Please read the rules and fallow them or go away.
The rules don't require you to not be offended or challenged on what you insinuate in terms of this idea that we seemingly need to return to "tradition", whatever that is (because you're not being that clear on that so that you can pivot if needed)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Do they even understand the nuance of informed and enthusiastic consent and how you can have the latter without the former?
From the conversation we had, he seems to think it's impossible to stop once sex has begun and suddenly consent is withdrawn and it's not actually rape because, in his own words, it would make many people into a rapist if that's how it was because he believes you can't just stop.
Never mind that several people tried explaining to him that once consent is withdrawn it is rape to continue. Some of us even tried explaining in the BDSM community consent is sacrosanct and utterly inviolable and if someone says stop it is absolutely expected that everything stop right then and there.

PureX

Veteran Member
Experience is very much individual thing, ...
No it isn't. We are all humans, and our experience of abuse is very similar. Similar enough for us to easily determine when it's happening and when it's not,
... obviously those people who voted to defund the library have very different experience than what's your experience, and it seems like you neither feel nor respect their experience?
That's because their experience is not logically relevant. I pointed out that it takes both experience and reason. And there is no reason for them to assume that books containing homosexual content led to any negative experience they have had regarding homosexuality. In fact, it would be logical to assume that the books would help to inform more people about it, and thus decrease any negative impact related to it.
I think it's abusive because it encourages something which I find disgusting just like all those people who voted to defund the library.
I detest show tunes, of any kind. From opera to the latest flamboyant idiocy on the stages of Broadway. They're bad enough in the context of the theatrical performance, but to listen to them apart from that is grotesquely offensive to my ears and mind. Yet it would not even occur to me to deny other people the ability to listen to that crap just because I find it so horrible. And I really don't understand why you think you or anyone should have that right, or even that ability. It's as if you think you own the world, and therefor are in charge of whatever happens in it. And to hell with anything anyone else happens to think or feel about it. And I don't understand such an extraordinarily selfish mentality. Can you explain it to me?
Yes institutions are the ones who should make decisions, but oppression of majority is not really an argument unless minority is abused, which is not the case here.
The only oppression in this instance is the suppression of a genre of literature. And I see no logical reason for it, at all.
I didn't say purpose of laws is to make us moral but rather that morality can't be excluded in decision making of laws.
Morality is irrelevant to the making and enforcing of laws. Social functionality is and should be the determining factor.

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Funding a library is not the same as funding abortion (which taxpayer dollars objectively don't fund per the Hyde Law), let's not paint with a broad brush here. I'd prefer churches get taxed, primarily because they don't exist in the social vacuum the law seems to claim they do so that taxing is somehow an undue burden even though many make more than an average person does in a year
None of that has anything to do with what I said.

No one is obligated to give you money.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
That garbage is dangerous and has been widely condemned by the APA
For your information Sigmund Freud is the founding father of conversion therapy, he was the first to come up with solutions that show positive results of 25%,
beside his methods since 1960's there have been several other conversion therapy studies so far:
What We Know | What does the scholarly research say about whether conversion therapy can alter sexual orientation without causing harm? | What We Know (cornell.edu)

All ineffective and potential to cause harm except one which says:
After receiving therapy or engaging in self-help, 35.1% of the participants continued to view their orientation in this manner. [as homosexuals]
Which means 65% of the participants saw "improvements in their psychological, interpersonal, and spiritual well-being"

Just in case you don't find this to be a reliable source here is one that is reliable:
Retrospective self-reports of changes in homosexual orientation: a consumer survey of conversion therapy clients - PubMed (nih.gov)

Therefore in regards to Freud's method which you call "garbage" there is so far only one which is better while also not causing harm, proving that Freud was a genius for his times,
not only because he was first one to invent a method that yields positive results but also because this proves that homosexuality is mental condition.

But anyway conversion therapy isn't something you're forced upon, in fact there are gay people who willingly wish to apply and these methods apply to them and prove useful obviously.

In regards to psychologydictionary.org calling Freud's method "new", I understand this as a method that yields positive results since all other methods so far were ineffective and harmful until that point.
Why don't they mention this study from 2000 as "new" instead I don't know so you might have a point about that. likely they didn't update page.

Here's something that is actually up to date and credible.
APA Dictionary of Psychology
Reliable but have you actually try to use it?

I find it not informative at all, in comparison to psychologydictionary.org the information is very lacking.

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
That's because their experience is not logically relevant.
Which confirms my previous point that "it seems like you neither feel nor respect their experience"
And beside that saying that experience is relevant but also saying that your experience matters and those of others does not is nothing but autocratic mentality, and calling this to be logical is a sign of bias.

I pointed out that it takes both experience and reason. And there is no reason for them to assume that books containing homosexual content led to any negative experience they have had regarding homosexuality.
Reason? doesn't reason tell you that they don't just assume negative experience?
Doesn't reason tell you that you can't fully experience what they experience?
Obviously reason is weak simply because not all people are reasonable, this means what is reasonable for you is unreasonable for somebody else,
how do you measure whether somebody is reasonable? doesn't this lead to subjectivism?

In fact, it would be logical to assume that the books would help to inform more people about it, and thus decrease any negative impact related to it.
That would be logical fallacy since you need to account for a lot factors, ex. you would satisfy gays but harm children and cause negative experience in some people, is that reasonable really?
I think it would be reasonable to look for alternative solutions first, and if there is no more reasonable alternative then your suggestion might be considered reasonable.

PureX

Veteran Member
@paradox Do you think it's your job to think and act for other people because they are incapable of doing this sufficiently, for themselves?

Do you think God has put you in charge of their moral condition? If so, why? Do you think your moral condition and apprehension is superior to theirs? If so, what makes you think so?

Do you think a majority automatically implies righteousness? And so should always be heeded regardless of the minority's objection? If so, by what reasoning?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
In your own link, the article describes not just “one book” but 84.

View attachment 65188

Jamestown has a small population of 8,618. They can decide for themselves what books are appropriate for their own community.

It wasn’t one person. It was 1,905.

May whatever rises from its ashes be something that reflects the Will of the community.

1905 out of 8618 reflects the will of the community?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Do you think it's your job to think and act for other people because they are incapable of doing this sufficiently, for themselves?
Not my job for sure, we're just debating on what would be the most appropriate decision for this problem

Do you think God has put you in charge of their moral condition? If so, why?
No I don't, I already told you that morality isn't specifically a church thing, morality is also called ethics, when I say morality I'm referring to ethics rather than church dogma.

Do you think a majority automatically implies righteousness?
I don't think majority is automatically righteousness, resolution to problem is in making a prudent choice for which experience and reason of the public is not appropriate solution.
Who should make a prudent choice? state and profession without external influence.

PureX

Veteran Member
Not my job for sure, we're just debating on what would be the most appropriate decision for this problem
I'm asking why any decision needs to be made at all. Why did these people in this town think they were in charge of what books other people in their town should be reading? Why didn't they just assume that those other people are capable of deciding what books they should read for themselves? And as for children, it's their parents job to make those decisions for them. So again, why did these other folks think it was theirs? And why do you?
No I don't, I already told you that morality isn't specifically a church thing, morality is also called ethics, when I say morality I'm referring to ethics rather than church dogma.
What does anyone's chosen ethics have to do with making societal laws that protect us form each other's behavior? We are all free to determine our own ethics and no one can stop us from doing it, anyway. Nor can any law. But for society to function, and thrive, we need to protect each other from each others harmful actions. But reading a book is not a harmful action toward anyone. So I see no logical reason for us to concern ourselves with with people reading them. In fact, it's denying people access to books that is the harmful act in this instance, as it's meant to provoke and enforce ignorance and prejudice.
I don't think majority is automatically righteousness, resolution to problem is in making a prudent choice for which experience and reason of the public is not appropriate solution.
Who should make a prudent choice? state and profession without external influence.
First, you need to explain why this "choice" is even required. Because what I'm seeing is that no one needs to make the choice but the readers, themselves. As no harmful behavior toward anyone is involved in the reading of these books. And in fact, the harm would be done by denying people access to those books.

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Why didn't they just assume that those other people are capable of deciding what books they should read for themselves?
The issue is not about denying reading their books or whether they are capable of deciding but rather removing books that the other group sees provocative and disturbing, they don't want to see these books and neither they want their kids to be tempted by reading these books.

And as for children, it's their parents job to make those decisions for them.
As if parents are watching on their children 24/7
Children are in large part affected also by society such as schools, friends etc.

What does anyone's chosen ethics have to do with making societal laws that protect us form each other's behavior?
ethics is universal, there are no flavors of ethics but it is developing and improving with time just like any other branch in philosophy.

Ethics or moral philosophy is a branch of philosophy that "involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right and wrong behavior"
Ethics - Wikipedia

Ethics or morality is thus according to this definition detrimental factor in making laws and decision making of what's right and what's wrong.

We are all free to determine our own ethics and no one can stop us from doing it, anyway.
No, obviously not, as you can see it's contradictory to what ethics is.

But for society to function, and thrive, we need to protect each other from each others harmful actions. But reading a book is not a harmful action toward anyone.
It's harmful to young population because it may influence their personality development, and for this reason, it's not ethical to give gay population higher priority than young population.

In fact, it's denying people access to books that is the harmful act in this instance, as it's meant to provoke and enforce ignorance and prejudice.
There are better means to educate general population I'm sure and to protect gay population from discrimination.

I think it would be better to suggest alternative solutions because putting controversial books on public display will not remove discrimination

PureX

Veteran Member
The issue is not about denying reading their books or whether they are capable of deciding but rather removing books that the other group sees provocative and disturbing, they don't want to see these books and neither they want their kids to be tempted by reading these books.
What does this have to do with anyone else. If they don't want to read those books, then they don't have to. "Don't want to see them"??? What the heck is THAT about? They don't want them to EXIST? Who are they to decide what should exist or not exist, in a library or anywhere else? That's INSANE!
As if parents are watching on their children 24/7
Children are in large part affected also by society such as schools, friends etc.
No book ever harmed a child that didn't read it. All the parents have to do is mind what books their child is reading. If they can't even bother to do that then what business do they have minding what books anyone else is reading? These excuses are getting more and more absurd.
... ethics is universal, there are no flavors of ethics but it is developing and improving with time just like any other branch in philosophy.
Well, that's patently false. Are your ethics and Adolph Hitler's "universal"? Seems there is an enormous variety of "flavors" when it comes to ethics. In fact it's a whole sub-category of philosophy.
Ethics or morality is thus according to this definition detrimental factor in making laws and decision making of what's right and what's wrong.
Laws are not about what's "right and wrong". They are about maintaining social function. Somehow you can't seem to grasp this idea.
It's harmful to young population because it may influence their personality development, and for this reason, it's not ethical to give gay population higher priority than young population.
Literally anything "may influence their personality development". That's why it's their parents responsibility to guide them through their developmental years. None of this has anything to do with banning books from a library. Because it's not a library's purpose or responsibility to raise your children. It's precisely NOT a library's function the keep information AWAY from your child. It's literally their job to provide your child access to information. And it's YOUR job to determine what information they have access to at what age. Not the library's.
There are better means to educate general population I'm sure and to protect gay population from discrimination.
The general population is responsible for educating itself. Why do you keep assuming people are idiots that need someone else to "teach them" (by force) what to think and what they should learn about?
I think it would be better to suggest alternative solutions because putting controversial books on public display will not remove discrimination
Putting books of the shelves is literally what libraries exist to do. The "controversy" is entirely make-believe, by people who think other people are too stupid to decide for themselves what they should or shouldn't read. And who apparently think it's the whole world's job to raise their kids for them in the manner they see fit.