• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does any of that say that lava is not sediment? Maybe I missed it, perhaps you can point it out, if you're honestly discussing this Thank you.
Posts like this are begging for a snarky answer. Please try not to do that. Lave is molten rock. It is not particles of rock that have been eroded and redeposited. You are ignoring both the definition of lava and the definition of sediment.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No, creationists simply do not understand what ENCODE shows,

And of course science will keep finding more "gaps". Of course that is just a strawman argument at best. Every new fossil find does not eliminate a "gap" if fills in one point in between. But each so called gap is smaller than the previous one. Please do not use that dishonest argument anymore. People are onto it. To use it you have to admit that the so called gaps keep getting smaller and smaller and the evidence always supports the theory of evolution.

And "Evolution News" is a lying creationist site. If you cannot find a valid source that makes that claim you can be very sure that it is wrong.
Which brings us back to you, as a person who does not believe in an intelligent force greater than "creation," can you please define what lava is? Somehow your reluctance to do so IN YOUR OWN WORDS as to what you accept as true bespeaks of the fact that you are not being honest in your argument.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Which brings us back to you, as a person who does not believe in an intelligent force greater than "creation," can you please define what lava is? Somehow your reluctance to do so IN YOUR OWN WORDS as to what you accept as true bespeaks of the fact that you are not being honest in your argument.

I think that I have stated it. And how could you not know what lava is? It is magma that has made its way to the surface. Magma is molten rock. It is not even proper to call it "rock" at that time. Since rock is what it becomes once it cools.

By the way, my lack of belief has nothing to do with these definitions. They are the same no matter what one's religious beliefs are.

YoursTrue

Posts like this are begging for a snarky answer. Please try not to do that. Lave is molten rock. It is not particles of rock that have been eroded and redeposited. You are ignoring both the definition of lava and the definition of sediment.
Oh ... ok, well, let's see. Your answers condemning me are usually "snarky," so you might as well try to stop doing that. Nevertheless, I'll go into this a bit more with you. So you might as well consider if there is a difference between that which is considered as magma and lava.

YoursTrue

I think that I have stated it. And how could you not know what lava is? It is magma that has made its way to the surface. Magma is molten rock. It is not even proper to call it "rock" at that time. Since rock is what it becomes once it cools.

By the way, my lack of belief has nothing to do with these definitions. They are the same no matter what one's religious beliefs are.
Well then, look at the scientific definitions.

YoursTrue

Because of the definition of sediment that I posted and supported with other sources. Here is the definition again:

"Sediment is a naturally occurring material that is broken down by processes of weathering and erosion, and is subsequently transported by the action of wind, water, or ice or by the force of gravity acting on the particles."

How would lava fit into that? Igneous rock starts as magma. Lava is just magma (molten rock) at the surface. It has not been weathered. It has not been broken down.

National Geographic's error may have arisen from people sometimes calling solidified volcanic magma "lava". Abd that material can be weathered and broken into pieces and then be in the form of sediment. But no one in geology would call that "lava". Hawaii has quite a few black sand beaches. The sediment is weathered and broken up "lava". But once again, no one calls it that in geology.

Properly defining the terms that one uses is very important in the sciences to prevent confusion.
So then, without telling you what to believe, according to the definition of sediment above, is lava magma that is "transported"?

YoursTrue

@Subduction Zone But I do want to thank you for the discussion, snarky or not. :) But please continue with what you believe lava is, and if it's magma? And what or if there is a difference.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh ... ok, well, let's see. Your answers condemning me are usually "snarky," so you might as well try to stop doing that. Nevertheless, I'll go into this a bit more with you. So you might as well consider if there is a difference between that which is considered as magma and lava.
Yes, they often are because it seems that you go out of your way to earn those comments. So right now I am trying to be nice, but I will also point out when you are crossing or getting near to the line.

As to the difference between magma and lava it is just location. If it the molten material is still within the Earth it is magma. When it comes to the surface it is lava. That is all. In fact quite often when it comes to volcanoes you will hear about the "magma chamber" That is where molten rock accumulates before an eruption.

1687741708851.png

YoursTrue

I'm going back to the definition(s) posed by Britannica: "lava, magma (molten rock) emerging as a liquid onto Earth’s surface. The term lava is also used for the solidified rock formed by the cooling of a molten lava flow. The temperatures of molten lava range from about 700 to 1,200 °C (1,300 to 2,200 °F). The material can be very fluid, flowing almost like syrup, or it can be extremely stiff, scarcely flowing at all. The higher the lava’s silica content, the higher its viscosity."
Sooo, first we have lava explained as molten rock emerging as liquid onto earth's surface. I understand that and that is how I always thought of lava. And, they say that the term lava is also used for the solidified rock formed by the cooling of a molten lava flow. So two ways lava can be defined: one is the molten rock emerging from a volcano. Then we have the tetrm lava explained by Britannica as the solidified form formed by the cooling of the molten lava. No?

YoursTrue

I have. You made the mistake of using National Geographic as a source. It is really not a very good source at all. Do you remember the Archaeoraptor incident? That was Nat Geo's screw up.
Yes, but they corrected it. And they haven't corrected lava as sediment. OK, so you don't believe that lava is sediment. I looked beyond that and looked at Britannica's definition. Two ways lava can be defined. So then the question for you is: when lava emerges from a volcano, what happens?

YoursTrue

It is transported, but that is only one qualification and it is not even the most important one.
Not sure why you say that the transportation of rock being transported is not even the most important qualification. Is lava rock being transported, that rock coming from within a volcano? Yes, or no.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm going back to the definition(s) posed by Britannica: "lava, magma (molten rock) emerging as a liquid onto Earth’s surface. The term lava is also used for the solidified rock formed by the cooling of a molten lava flow. The temperatures of molten lava range from about 700 to 1,200 °C (1,300 to 2,200 °F). The material can be very fluid, flowing almost like syrup, or it can be extremely stiff, scarcely flowing at all. The higher the lava’s silica content, the higher its viscosity."
Sooo, first we have lava explained as molten rock emerging as liquid onto earth's surface. I understand that and that is how I always thought of lava. And, they say that the term lava is also used for the solidified rock formed by the cooling of a molten lava flow. So two ways lava can be defined: one is the molten rock emerging from a volcano. Then we have the tetrm lava explained by Britannica as the solidified form formed by the cooling of the molten lava. No?
And I mentioned that and neither of those qualify as sediments.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, but they corrected it. And they haven't corrected lava as sediment. OK, so you don't believe that lava is sediment. I looked beyond that and looked at Britannica's definition. Two ways lava can be defined. So then the question for you is: when lava emerges from a volcano, what happens?
No, I know it is not a sediment

The most important trait is that sediments are made up of piece of rocks that have been weathered and eroded.