• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
LOL, if I didn't read or understand an answer, I guess that entitles you to be rude. LOL! OK. :)

You say that the number one requirement for something to be considered sediment is that it comes from material that has been weathered and broken down. So can you give an example of this? For instance, as I understand it, and maybe I don't understand correctly, water can carry sediment. So please, what is an example of something that comes from material that has been weathered and broken down.
Sand for sandstone. That tends to come originally from granitic rocks. Some of the material chemically weathers and becomes clay, that is what happens to feldspars and mica. But quartz is very chemically stable. It will tend to get rounded as time goes by and it rubs against other sand particles on a beach for example or in a sand dune. Both of those can form sandstone. The clay on the other hand is much finer, so whatever transports it tends to drop it last. That forms shale. In the sea at coral reefs as corals die they also tend to get brittle and break. The small pieces of that eventually form limestone.

We can tell quite a bit about environments just on the sort of sedimentary rock that are deposited in them.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes. do yo have a point?
I want to understand more about sediment deposited on the earth. So let me go over this again to make sure I'm on the same level with you for this. You agree that lava is molten rock emerging as a liquid onto earth's surface. Now molten rock -- hmm, I think molten rock is what? liquid rock? melted rock? ok, I'll look it up. Before I really got into this with you, I thought of molten rock as disastrous stuff coming from the interior of a volcano which was like a liquid coming from the mouth of a volcano. I didn't quite understand, and still don't, but I'm assuming rock can be melted. So molten rock is that which has been heated to a very high temperature and becomes a hot, thick liquid.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I want to understand more about sediment deposited on the earth. So let me go over this again to make sure I'm on the same level with you for this. You agree that lava is molten rock emerging as a liquid onto earth's surface. Now molten rock -- hmm, I think molten rock is what? liquid rock? melted rock? ok, I'll look it up. Before I really got into this with you, I thought of molten rock as disastrous stuff coming from the interior of a volcano which was like a liquid coming from the mouth of a volcano. I didn't quite understand, and still don't, but I'm assuming rock can be melted. So molten rock is that which has been heated to a very high temperature and becomes a hot, thick liquid.
It is a mostly liquid, though there will be piece of older crystals mixed in to a degree.

But before you ask any more question s about lava you need to justify them. Right now I get a very clear vibe that you are trying to be dishonest again by swallowing camels and straining at gnats.

YoursTrue

It is a mostly liquid, though there will be piece of older crystals mixed in to a degree.

But before you ask any more question s about lava you need to justify them. Right now I get a very clear vibe that you are trying to be dishonest again by swallowing camels and straining at gnats.
I am trying to understand the layering of the earth. If you don't want to discuss this with me any more, that's fine, although I have learned something. You have objected to the definition of lava being categorized as sediment, and I really would like to understand this. So lava is evidently a substance (rock that has been melted into a liquid due to high heat which spews from an opening onto the earth's surface. So when it settles and cools and solidifies, you say it is not sediment. And I'm still not sure why you say it is not sediment.
Quoting from the Free Dictionary -- sediment is defined as:
1. Material that settles to the bottom of a liquid; lees.
2. Solid fragments of inorganic or organic material that come from the weathering of rock and are carried and deposited by wind, water, or ice.
There are seemingly two definitions here. One is material that settles to the bottom of a liquid.
The other is solid fragments of material that come from the weathering of rock and carried and deposited by wind, water, or ice.
This is interesting and I sure would like to speak to a professor of geology about this. :) I am of the impression that sediment is also that which can be described as the substance which flows from a volcanic eruption onto the surface of the earth because of the meaning of the word sediment.

YoursTrue

Sand for sandstone. That tends to come originally from granitic rocks. Some of the material chemically weathers and becomes clay, that is what happens to feldspars and mica. But quartz is very chemically stable. It will tend to get rounded as time goes by and it rubs against other sand particles on a beach for example or in a sand dune. Both of those can form sandstone. The clay on the other hand is much finer, so whatever transports it tends to drop it last. That forms shale. In the sea at coral reefs as corals die they also tend to get brittle and break. The small pieces of that eventually form limestone.

We can tell quite a bit about environments just on the sort of sedimentary rock that are deposited in them.
I am sure geologists can tell quite a bit about environments from the type of sedimentary rock deposited. So is lava considered sedimentary rock?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I said nothing like that! You can’t lack that much comprehension!

Amazing you’d even post that, it makes your reasoning look inept.

Regarding the CE..

If you’re honest with yourself, you might learn something.
So, do you agree with what that article states?

If not, then why link it?
If yes, then you agree that all land animals evolved from sea animals which evolved during the cambrian explosion?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
@Subduction Zone If I may, with all due respect, I would like to know why you believe what you do about sediment and why you say lava is not sediment.

I wonder how many times @Subduction Zone has to repeat it before it will sink in.

Because of the definition of sediment that I posted and supported with other sources. Here is the definition again:

"Sediment is a naturally occurring material that is broken down by processes of weathering and erosion, and is subsequently transported by the action of wind, water, or ice or by the force of gravity acting on the particles."

How would lava fit into that? Igneous rock starts as magma. Lava is just magma (molten rock) at the surface. It has not been weathered. It has not been broken down.

It's not hard.

You seem to have a very annoying habit of having your mistakes corrected and then you ignoring those corrections and just doubling down on your mistakes as a result.
I'll put my hand in fire that a couple days/posts from now, you'll just repeat this same mistake again.

Just like you've been repeating the "BUT THEY REMAIN GORILLAS!!!" nonsense for years now, even though that error has been corrected every other day by multiple people.

What do you hope to accomplish with such absurd stubborness??

YoursTrue

This has been explained you several times. Repeatedly asking the same question again is rude. And you misused the word "believe".
ok, well here is something I found out: "Igneous rocks solidify from molten rock (called magma within the Earth and lava on the surface). They are identified by mineral content and texture — the size and shape of their mineral grains."
So now, magma, when exuded from a fissure or volcano is called lava. And the rocks deposited from the eruption are igneous. Igneous rocks are those types which solidify from molten rock.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
ok, well here is something I found out: "Igneous rocks solidify from molten rock (called magma within the Earth and lava on the surface). They are identified by mineral content and texture — the size and shape of their mineral grains."
So now, magma, when exuded from a fissure or volcano is called lava. And the rocks deposited from the eruption are igneous. Igneous rocks are those types which solidify from molten rock.
That is what I and others have been trying to tell you. Okay, what is your next question?

YoursTrue

This has been explained you several times. Repeatedly asking the same question again is rude. And you misused the word "believe".

That is what I and others have been trying to tell you. Okay, what is your next question?
molten rock, or lava from an eruption, can move until it settles down, i.e., cools off. My next question is: do you agree with that? I mean I don't want to go ahead with this until we agree on what might be considered basics by some. And since I'm uneducated in this, in order for me to understand this, I am doing what I can to comprehend this. So my next question is, to reiterate, does lava move until it settles on the earth and in essence, stops moving. I'm not going further than that now, such as to figure maybe there could be an earthquake, tsunami, etc. after the molten rock stops moving. Question again, and you're smarter than I am, do you agree that molten rock from an eruption moves until it settles down and hardens?

YoursTrue

@Subduction Zone BUT! -- although the rocks solidify from molten rock, they're not sediment, is that right according to you, SZ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
molten rock, or lava from an eruption, can move until it settles down, i.e., cools off. My next question is: do you agree with that? I mean I don't want to go ahead with this until we agree on what might be considered basics by some. And since I'm uneducated in this, in order for me to understand this, I am doing what I can to comprehend this. So my next question is, to reiterate, does lava move until it settles on the earth and in essence, stops moving. I'm not going further than that now, such as to figure maybe there could be an earthquake, tsunami, etc. after the molten rock stops moving. Question again, and you're smarter than I am, do you agree that molten rock from an eruption moves until it settles down and hardens?
Your lava questions are off the table until you own up to what you are attempting to show. What are you trying to prove. I can tell you how you are wrong saving both of us a lot of time.