• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Subduction Zone BUT! -- although the rocks solidify from molten rock, they're not sediment, is that right according to you, SZ?
Have they undergone weathering? Are they broken up?

Do you have a point? Don't try to be sneaky and dishonest, That is the part of your brain that is afraid of reality that is causing this behavior.

Igneous rocks started off in a molten state, such as basalt, gabbro, granite, rhyolite, andesite, How coarse the grain of those rocks are tell us if they were volcanic or intrusive.

Those we can date. They are dated from the time that they solidified. We can quite often date the materials of those rocks even if they are weathered and become sediment. But that date will be when the rocks cooled. It will not be the age of the sedimentary rocks.

We can date sedimentary rocks absolutely quite often since they can have a layer of volcanic rock within them. That date will be of when the rocks cooled. So it dates one layer very very well.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
LOL, if I didn't read or understand an answer, I guess that entitles you to be rude. LOL! OK. :)

You say that the number one requirement for something to be considered sediment is that it comes from material that has been weathered and broken down. So can you give an example of this? For instance, as I understand it, and maybe I don't understand correctly, water can carry sediment. So please, what is an example of something that comes from material that has been weathered and broken down?

Examples of materials that have been weathered and broken down to form sediment are sand silt, clay, and gravel. These different weather and broken-down sediments can be traced mineralogically and physically to their geologic origin.

Examples:

Montmorillonite clays are weathered from volcanic ash or lava materials. The Hawaiian Islands are a classic example of the formation of soils from volcanic ash over periods of millions to hundreds of thousands of years at different ages of weathering of Ash and lava. You can see the beginning of soil formation of soil on recent ash and lava and progressively older soils over hundreds of thousands of years.
Rounded Quartz sand and pebbles are weathered from mostly Metamorphic rock like granite
Kaolinite clays weather from shales mostly wet environments.
Silt is wind-blown sediments sorted from sand, gravel, and clay by .the wind and deposited on the lee side of river systems. Depending on their chemical composition they can weather from a wide range of rocks.
Limestones are made of carbonate participates and coral reefs are deposited over millions to hundreds of thousands of years. The Bermuda Plateau is a coral reef and limestone deposited over millions of years on top of an ancient volcanic chain.

Along the coasts beach sands may be quartz sands deposited by rivers on the deltas and beaches..Also, many grains of sand along beaches are weathered sea shell fragments. A common shelly limestone along the coast is called Called. Coquina is made up of sand and gravel size pieces of shell and coral.

Weathering breakdown, depositing, and forming different kinds of rock take millions to hundreds of thousands of years. Many sedimentary rocks are made up of materials from older sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.

Quartzite is a metamorphic rock made from sandstone by geologic heat and pressure deep in the earth. Newer sandstones often contain sand and gravel from Quratzite, therefore hundreds of millions if not billions of years for this to happen..

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Your lava questions are off the table until you own up to what you are attempting to show. What are you trying to prove. I can tell you how you are wrong saving both of us a lot of time.
I'm not trying to prove anything right now about lava eruptions, or better said, magma eruptions. You keep making accusations so perhaps it's best to table the conversation now.

YoursTrue

Do you have a point? Don't try to be sneaky and dishonest, That is the part of your brain that is afraid of reality that is causing this behavior.

Igneous rocks started off in a molten state, such as basalt, gabbro, granite, rhyolite, andesite, How coarse the grain of those rocks are tell us if they were volcanic or intrusive.

Those we can date. They are dated from the time that they solidified. We can quite often date the materials of those rocks even if they are weathered and become sediment. But that date will be when the rocks cooled. It will not be the age of the sedimentary rocks.

We can date sedimentary rocks absolutely quite often since they can have a layer of volcanic rock within them. That date will be of when the rocks cooled. So it dates one layer very very well.
Have they undergone weathering? Anyway, you are constantly accusing so best this is not continued. Bye for now.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm not trying to prove anything right now about lava eruptions, or better said, magma eruptions. You keep making accusations so perhaps it's best to table the conversation now.
My response included lava and ash sources of sediment. It also included a summary of many sources of weathering over millions and at least hundreds of thousands of years for sediment to form from many different sources and reform into new rock strata many times over millions to billions of years again and again..

YoursTrue

No answers.

YoursTrue

You were given answers. You have to answer questions too.
Again, you claim to know know know far more than I do. I am learning. Magma is that liquid substance within a volcano, when it comes out it is called lava. When it cools down it leaves rocks on the ground.

YoursTrue

Dan and others saw that I was more than patient with you answering the same questions again and again.

Trust me, you will not find an out for the dates that have been generated.
Hm no answers. Meantime you all know more than I do. Or say you do. So far I'm learning in various ways. So you all likely believe or is it know that lava is not sediment, right? And that's where it starts. So... have a good one.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again, you claim to know know know far more than I do. I am learning. Magma is that liquid substance within a volcano, when it comes out it is called lava. When it cools down it leaves rocks on the ground.
When it cools it solidifies. It does not leave rocks on the ground. Some surface magma flows have been huge. So large that the emissions caused mass extinctions.

YoursTrue

I try to make claims that I can confirm.
And that is not a valid excuse. Teachers very often ask questions of their students.
But in this case I'm the student. And when teachers ask students questions they likely know the 'right' answer.

YoursTrue

When it cools it solidifies. It does not leave rocks on the ground. Some surface magma flows have been huge. So large that the emissions caused mass extinctions.
Oh so magma does not leave rocks on the ground when it cools? I saw a picture in National Geographic of a body encased in...what looks like cement from the eruption of Vesuvius. But you say magma does not leave rocks on the ground...ok... I'll look into that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But in this case I'm the student. And when teachers ask students questions they likely know the 'right' answer.
Yes, but a wise teacher know that is not always guaranteed. That is why I used a qualifier. It appears that you are used to bad teachers. There is nothing worse than a teacher that is sure of himself and is wrong.