• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Then don't allude to me or my conversations with someone else.
Stop referring to me or calling out to me in posts. I have been tolerant, but the lack of respect you have shown by continually trying to draw me back in when I have made it clear I don't think there is anything more of interest to maintain a discussion with you on these subjects is enough.

Don't bother responding to this post. Consider it your first step away from my door.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Stop referring to me or calling out to me in posts. I have been tolerant, but the lack of respect you have shown by continually trying to draw me back in when I have made it clear I don't think there is anything more of interest to maintain a discussion with you on these subjects is enough.

Don't bother responding to this post. Consider it your first step away from my door.
I finally realized that she does have a complete lack of understanding of all of the basics of geology. And that includes not knowing just the three basic types of rocks in geology. Here that is elementary school level science. She has endless claimed to understand but now that we are discussing this it is abundantly clear that she had absolutely no understanding. The good news is that she does appear to be picking this up finally. She has shown that her previous comments were just an extreme example of the Dunning Kruger effect.. I will continue to try for a while. We will see if she can overcome lifelong indoctrination and a lack of education. I would probably do no better so I right now I am giving her credit for trying.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I finally realized that she does have a complete lack of understanding of all of the basics of geology. And that includes not knowing just the three basic types of rocks in geology. Here that is elementary school level science. She has endless claimed to understand but now that we are discussing this it is abundantly clear that she had absolutely no understanding. The good news is that she does appear to be picking this up finally. She has shown that her previous comments were just an extreme example of the Dunning Kruger effect.. I will continue to try for a while. We will see if she can overcome lifelong indoctrination and a lack of education. I would probably do no better so I right now I am giving her credit for trying.
I can say you're not talking about me behind my back, right? BUT THAT'S OK with certain monitors and you, right? Meantime I am willing to keep discussing this with you about magma, rocks, geology for a while maybe.

YoursTrue

It seemed to be. And owning up to one's mistakes will not get a person laughed at if that person is making an honest effort. Right now it does look as if you are trying to make up for things that almost everyone in America knows, And I am sure that almost everyone in Europe as well.
So let's go back to the subject if possible. If I understand it, fine. If not, maybe I'll give up trying to understand it.
So again -- magma is liquid rock inside the volcano, is it not? Please do not be upset if I keep repeating something for clarification. (Naturally I always thought of rocks as being hard, but I'm learning...) Maybe magma is not liquid rock. One thing at a time, thank you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can say you're not talking about me behind my back, right? BUT THAT'S OK with certain monitors and you, right? Meantime I am willing to keep discussing this with you about magma, rocks, geology for a while maybe.
I have been trying to defend you. The fact is that you have been extremely ignorant about everything that you have debated, but it looked as if you were trying to learn. Part of the learning process is that one must own up to one's errors and one's lack of education. You seem to be loathe to do that. That you are trying to learn right now is a good thing. Please do not ruin it by taking unjustified offense.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So let's go back to the subject if possible. If I understand it, fine. If not, maybe I'll give up trying to understand it.
So again -- magma is liquid rock inside the volcano, is it not? Please do not be upset if I keep repeating something for clarification. (Naturally I always thought of rocks as being hard, but I'm learning...) Maybe magma is not liquid rock. One thing at a time, thank you.
Yes, until it comes to the surface, it is magma. Liquid rock. Melted rock, however that you want to put it. The only difference is that we can see lava, magma can be traced with various scientific instruments, but it cannot be seen directly.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Having pondered my original post I have concluded that life never could have came to be without divine intervention. Life from dirt? Nah.

YoursTrue

Yes, until it comes to the surface, it is magma. Liquid rock. Melted rock, however that you want to put it. The only difference is that we can see lava, magma can be traced with various scientific instruments, but it cannot be seen directly.
Ok thanks. Interesting.

YoursTrue

I'm not sure what you mean by "lifelong indoctrination." As I said, I was an honor student in high school plus a scholarship winner. National Honor Society. I did not believe in God for many years. I have also said that I believed whatever I was taught, to put it more succinctly, had no questions about it, including evolution. I just accepted it, I was not majoring in any form of science. But took college level biology. I do not remember learning about rock formations in grade school. Maybe I heard it but... didn't pay attention. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you mean by "lifelong indoctrination." As I said, I was an honor student in high school plus a scholarship winner. National Honor Society. I did not believe in God for many years. I have also said that I believed whatever I was taught, to put it more succinctly, had no questions about it, including evolution. I just accepted it, I was not majoring in any form of science. But took college level biology. I do not remember learning about rock formations in grade school. Maybe I heard it but... didn't pay attention. :)
Some schools, especially religious ones, can be centers for indoctrination. This was such basic information that I think everyone was surprised that you did not know or understand the basic types of rocks in geology. We would learn this in elementary school. Winning awards is all but meaningless if they did not teach any science of note.

But I will accept that you were not taught any geology in public school. If you have any more questions ask away.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Having pondered my original post I have concluded that life never could have came to be without divine intervention. Life from dirt? Nah.
But what mechanism did this divine interventionist use, and why do you find the steps described by science, and observed in the lab, wanting?

Please describe the steps God used in His creation of life, and explain why these are better supported and more comprehensive than the scientific narrative. Please provide links to this research.

Thus far, you've made numerous assertions, and have consistently disparaged scientific knowledge, but you haven't defended your thesis.

NB: The impossibility of falsifying the Goddidit! claim is not evidence for alternative theses.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I remain skeptical, but I'm glad I'm not interfering with how others engage.

I just got tired of seeing alerts come up trying to draw me in.

YoursTrue

Some schools, especially religious ones, can be centers for indoctrination. This was such basic information that I think everyone was surprised that you did not know or understand the basic types of rocks in geology. We would learn this in elementary school. Winning awards is all but meaningless if they did not teach any science of note.

But I will accept that you were not taught any geology in public school. If you have any more questions ask away.
I went to public schools throughout my education. Nothing sponsored or supported by religious agenda. At the time I didn't know if God existed or not, but as I grew older I began questioning these things. I won't go into much about that now.
The first full-fledged science class I took was biology in high school, it was an exceptional high school, secular not religious, and I took chemistry after that. Did well enough, I enjoyed the biology class. I had no question about evolution at the time. When I took chemistry I wondered about how they figured protons and neutrons but didn't question it because it was not a major concern of mine. I just accepted and memorized what they taught without questioning. I qualified as a scholarship winner based on my grades. I also decided for some years as I went to college and thereafter, looking around and decided finally that there must not be a God.
Just for the record, things changed, but that's not what I'm talking about now.