• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing my atheism (my new spiritual journey)

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists
If you are politely asking why atheists or non-believers are asking you difficult questions when your belief and position is clear I will explain. Your belief in God is in many ways detrimental to our society. There is a huge raft of the things such as discrimination that I would not want my children to learn from religion and the fact that your ideology would put religious indoctrination in schools and prevent my children from learning about the scientific and technological progress of the world is a criminal act. We have a duty not to a deity but to our future existence on our planet and to achieve that we have to reduce the hold religion has on society and break the cycle.

If you are politely asking why atheists or non-believers are asking you difficult questions when your belief and position is clear I will explain.

Yes, I am being polite as it is the best possible method of debating

No, I am not asking why atheists are asking me difficult questions, Why? because they are not. I have never been asked a difficult religious question, by an atheist, on these forums, that relates to my beliefs.

The Plan of Salvation is the most complex and intricate Plan, having countless numbers of intricate offshoots, that accommodates every human being that has lived, is living, and is yet to live, that I have ever encountered, which may not mean much to anybody else, other then I do not consider it to be as clear as you indicate. It seems to have two depths. The plain and simple plan that gives the fundamentAl principles of the Plan, and then the in depth version, that combines religion with science to show how it was constructed and initialised.

Your belief in God is in many ways detrimental to our society.

My belief in God, that is personal me, has many ways of being detremental to society? Well, i look forward to your explanation of that assertion. So, how do you come to the conclusion that a lifestyle, base on good objective moral principles, could be detrimental, in anyway, shape or form, to a single person out of the 7 billion inhabitants of the world. Do you think that you might be exaggerating a tad. I would go as far as to say that such a thing is impossible.

There is a huge raft of the things such as discrimination that I would not want my children to learn from religion

You say a huge raft and then give just one example, which is a little pie in the sky to me. I cannot think of a single principle, anywhere in scripture, or utilised in the Christian way of life, that could be remotely attributed to discrimination. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

and the fact that your ideology would put religious indoctrination in schools and

You mean like the indoctrination of evolution or history. Both dealing in past events, just like religion. When I was schooled we had a religious assembly ceremony every morning and Religious Studies once a week. We also had science three times a week. How do you conclude that religious education impeaches on the teaching of science. That is pure bunkum.

prevent my children from learning about the scientific and technological progress of the world is a criminal act.

Well, I do not know if it is criminal but I do know that society has never been faced with such a preposterous idea. Sounds a little dramatic to me. Why would education omit science in favour of religion, or visa versa. They are two separate and distinct fields of study. Both are important for our children to learn. I get the feeling that someone is misinforming you of how that actually works. We did not get rid of religion because it was encroaching on science lessons, absolutely nothing to do with that. It Was more then likely anti-theist politicians and head teachers who saw a good opportunity to get rid of it. Now David Cameron wants it back in schools to bring a halt to the increasing moral decline of our society. You need to swat up on the real facts of schools stopping religion thus creating a void in good moralistic behavior.

We have a duty not to a deity but to our future existence on our planet and to achieve that we have to reduce the hold religion has on society and break the cycle.

What hold do you feel that religion has on society? It is all very well for you to make the assertion but without back up evidence your assertion is without veracity. I have a duty to my fellow neighbour, which means that I have a duty to my God. Without That God there will be no future existence. In Great Britain religion has no hold on our society. Christianity is based on our personal relationship with God. Congregations and church hierarchy play no part in it.

Now that I have informed you that Christianity is a lifestyle choice, not that dissimilar to same sex relationships, and just as harmless, than you should no longer need to debate with Christians on their inert and harmless belief. There is nothing to concern yourself about. Move on sir, there is nothing for you to see here.

Last edited:

Gambit

I guess I just don't understand why people make so much out of god, or to beliefs about it. Why would it even matter whether there is a god?

Believe, or do not. It changes nothing.

Well, it appears that God belief is a big deal to you because you have freely chosen to identify yourself as an antitheist.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I guess I just don't understand why people make so much out of god, or to beliefs about it. Why would it even matter whether there is a god?
As a theist, I'm going to surprise you and agree with this.

That said, I think what does really matter is the question if we are just a collection of physical matter or is there more involved in forming our consciousness. And does that 'more' continue on after the physical body ceases. The latter implies we are on a great spiritual journey with greater things ahead for us and our loved ones. This greatly effects my view of things.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As a theist, I'm going to surprise you and agree with this.

That said, I think what does really matter is the question if we are just a collection of physical matter or is there more involved in forming our consciousness. And does that 'more' continue on after the physical body ceases. The latter implies we are on a great spiritual journey with greater things ahead for us and our loved ones. This greatly effects my view of things.

The way I see it, we are on a great spiritual journey. One that is in some senses like a relay race, in that we inherit the teachings of others and pass them along with our own contributions to those that come during and after our own lives.

It just wouldn't be so appealling or so fair if we did not die during our parts in it, though. Then again, I see no evidence for nor any appeal to the idea of afterlives.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The way I see it, we are on a great spiritual journey. One that is in some senses like a relay race, in that we inherit the teachings of others and pass them along with our own contributions to those that come during and after our own lives.
Kind of like the guy who is working for the next guy who is working for the next guy........It just doesn't satisfy.
It just wouldn't be so appealling or so fair if we did not die during our parts in it, though.
I don't see why we have to die so unfinished for it to be fair.
Then again, I see no evidence for nor any appeal to the idea of afterlives.
I know but I think you are in the minority on preference.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Kind of like the guy who is working for the next guy who is working for the next guy........It just doesn't satisfy.

Not "working for". Enabling back that what we inherited. It is a chain - no, actually, a web - of responsibility and gratitude.

I don't see why we have to die so unfinished for it to be fair.

Eh. I'm happy for you then. :)

I know but I think you are in the minority on preference.

Apparently so. Odd, IMO.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Let me tell you what my objection is. It is not with the April fool pranks, I have a large family so April fools is common place all year round. My objection are that you fail to comprehend that Christians take their beliefs and lifestyle ultra seriously. It is serious stuff for us. When you said what you said you created a sense of elation in the hearts of those who know Christ. A sense that Satan does not, at least, have claim on this individual. I sense of happiness and felicity fills the soul knowing that another lost child of God has come home and is being embraced by the arms of God. This is all seriously veridical stuff to us. Then when you pull the rug from under our feet we fall to the floor with a hefty bang that injures our pride and trust. It is far more then a April's fools to be laughed at. It is a monumental disappointment in an age where real conversions to Christianity are becoming a rarity. You need to be wise to the fact that Christianity is not a passing fad. It is a lifestyle and a intense belief.

Yes, but why? If I were confident that God exists and if I were confident to have picked the right one among a multitude of possible Gods, namely the Christian God that spawns Himself to "die" and save us, then I would not care if someone makes fun of my belief. Why should I?

I believe that there are no planets made of cheese in the galaxy. I cannot prove it, but I am very confident that it is the case that no planets contain cheese in their geological constitution. Now, if someone makes fun of my belief, plays joke about it, or is an angry disbeliever in the no-cheese geological hypothesis, i do not think I would be offended or disappointed. Who would?

The difference in perception could be explained if the following proposition is true ( 1st viole's law about beliefs, ;))

- the probability of causing offense by making fun of belief X, is proportional to the implausibility of X.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

JoStories

Not "working for". Enabling back that what we inherited. It is a chain - no, actually, a web - of responsibility and gratitude.

Eh. I'm happy for you then. :)

Apparently so. Odd, IMO.
I'm curious why you think that it's odd. I presume, and I may be way off base, but I presume that you thinks it's odd because for you, imagining heaven, etc, is so obtuse as to be a non- existent concept. Yet, the hope of more than this one life is, for many people, solace and peace. I can see that POV. Can you not?

skl

A man on a mission
Serenity7855
“I cannot think of a single principle, anywhere in scripture, or utilised in the Christian way of life, that could be remotely attributed to discrimination. Perhaps you can enlighten me”

I am assuming you have read the bible; however you appear forgetful just like the other faithful so here are just a few passages to remind you related to discrimination and I believe are detrimental to society easily found on Google.

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

“Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.” (Genesis 22:2)

Serenity7855 “Why would education omit science in favour of religion, or visa versa?”

If you believe in a creator and the planet is only a few thousand years old, Adam and Eve and Noah’s Ark you obviously have no belief in evolution or in scientific research regarding our existence so surely you can work that one out.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm curious why you think that it's odd. I presume, and I may be way off base, but I presume that you thinks it's odd because for you, imagining heaven, etc, is so obtuse as to be a non- existent concept. Yet, the hope of more than this one life is, for many people, solace and peace. I can see that POV. Can you not?

I can see it. I can't muster much sympathy for it.

One of the main reasons is because such a hope is so very often destructive, becoming a distraction from serious, far less speculative concerns and duties.

Another is because those distractions are so often used by people to enable egotistical power games.

JoStories

I can see it. I can't muster much sympathy for it.

One of the main reasons is because such a hope is so very often destructive, becoming a distraction from serious, far less speculative concerns and duties.

Another is because those distractions are so often used by people to enable egotistical power games.
I agree that some do that Luis. But what of those who use that purely for solace or peace? I do agree that many use these things for purely egotistical or other reasons and I find that reprehensible but there are those few who truly do love the words of their faith and IMO, that is a good thing.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree that some do that Luis. But what of those who use that purely for solace or peace? I do agree that many use these things for purely egotistical or other reasons and I find that reprehensible but there are those few who truly do love the words of their faith and IMO, that is a good thing.
What about people who drink "for solace and peace"? The fact that people use something as a coping mechanism doesn't necessarily make it praiseworthy.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What about people who drink "for solace and peace"? The fact that people use something as a coping mechanism doesn't necessarily make it praiseworthy.
If you want to stop and think about it, life after death doctrines are only one part of a greater "life after death" project that happens everywhere, even outside religion. The doctrines or beliefs or myths are simply products of existential dread. Immortality projects abound everywhere, such as wanting to pass down your legacy to others, monuments in your name, etc. Frankly, except for those who have truly been enlightened, everyone alive is simply existing in coping mode. Recognizing religious myths as these is just the tip of the iceberg. ;)

Serenity7855

I did not say this. I don't refer to ExChristians as "failed Christians". In fact I think there are very few Christians who are Christian, as G. K. Chesterson said, "Christianity hasn't failed. Christianity hasn't been tried yet", and I would say that is true on the whole. No, I said "former Christians", meaning those who have left the religion. If Christianity itself hasn't been tried yet, then atheists aren't "failed Christians", Christians are "failed Christians". Those who have left them can in fact be on a more spiritual path, one that needs to break free from the shackles of a "failed religion".

Hmm. I am trying to figure out how you managed to interpreted my words into meaning that i inferred that you said they were "failed Christians", i most certainly did not, after all, anyone reading this can plainly see that you didn't say that, and can just as plainly see that I did not say that you thought, or said, that they were "failed christians". I assumed that i made it reasonably clear that is was my opinion, as the phrase was used by me to describe a person who has tried christianity without first preparing and then comiting themselves to follow that lifestyle first, thus failing miserably in the process.

Of course, your source is not omniscient, as God is, but just a man, a mortal being, prone to imperfections and carnality of men. His words may be very poignant to you, and that is fine, however, do not expect his poignant words to impress everyone, or, to be of an authority to mankind as a whole. In my opinion, christianity is thriving and it is a successful methodology for one to use to get closer to God. I know that it has been tried because I am a Christian, not a Catholic, a Presbyterian or a Methodist, but a Christian, striving to keep the commandments of Christ. I have tried, and I have succeeded.

I did not say, as you quote me here, that Atheists are "failed Christians", at any juncture in my post. I do not believe that to be the case. Indeed I described the true atheist as "born and bred" that way. Indeed, It is wannabe Christians who are "failed Christians, however, if you want to be pernickety, they were never Christians in the first place so they cannot be labelled as failing at it. A Christian has been trulh converted by the unique power and influence of the Holy Ghost. They have had him testify to their souls that God lives and that His son died for us, all. So enthralling is the epiphany that one recieves they can never go back. You know then that you have been truly converted by the Holy Ghost. These people have failed in even coming close to that point. As for their spiritually, well, we are all spiritual beings. Spirits having an earthly experience. You do not have to be a christian to be spiritual, or belong to any religion. As I said, my best buddy is an atheist. He is so spiritual, which ever way you are defining it, you would think that he is a Christian.

That they are more spiritual then practicing Christian's, well, it is not a competition, or a pageant. In some cases you maybe wrong and in other cases you maybe right. Spirituality is fluid and fluctuates over time. Sorry, but i believe It is a nonsensical, unnecessary and imprecise point to make.

So what you have then are those struggling to find freedom, not from morality or responsibility, but from the bondage of a failed religious system.

I don't know if that is true. I have seen no evidence to suggest it is true. I am not struggling to find freedom from morality or responsibility. I expect it to be an integral part of my mortal probation here on earth. I choose not to be apart of organised religions because I believe them to have been corrupted by mankind and cannot see God's authority in what they preach. No, our Lord did not say that his Church would be of many branches, each confessing a different faith, contradicting each other. Instead, he gave the Church the Holy Spirit, who would teach them all truth. So yes, man's modern idea of the Church is nonsense, contradictory and makes a mockery of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

I would say they are more moral, and more responsible than most of the most religious Christians I have seen.

How do you determine that. Do the walk more old ladies across the street or give regularly to charities. There is no possible way you could know that for a surety. How have you determined the religiosity of a Christian. By his church attendance or his payment of tithes and offering.

Why? Because they don't excuse themselves saying they are obeying a higher authority. They take responsibility alone, and alone stand or fall.

Well, I am a Christian and I never say that I am obeying a higher law. Why? Because oft times I am not. I am striving to live that law but my success rate is not good, hence the long periods of time I spend on my knees in prayer and supplication. What you are saying is that because they do not know the law there is no pressure for them to keep it, so they keep it anyway. A very unsound dichotomy to make, and completed unsubstantiated. Lastly, I very much take responsibility for my own actions and stand or fall on them. The whole ethos of Christianity is based on accountability of our choices. Nobody forces it upon us. The morals of Christianity are objective, we all need to refrain from adultery and murder. They are basic universal moral laws.

They love, not because they are obliged to love, but because they choose to love, not for reward from God, but the reward of simply being good. In other words, they are free to be more spiritual because they are no longer afraid of a God who threatens them to "be good or else". Without that fear, Spirit is served, if not in name, certainly in action.

I disagree slightly. The churches of men claim to love because they feel superior to there fellow congregation members by showing an increase of love. Simply put, they seek the praises of men rather then the praises of God. They draw near to Him with their mouths but are far from him in their hearts. They are like a newly whitewashed tomb. Clean and bright on the outside, however, full of filth and dead mens bones on the inside. Carnality.

Free to be more spiritual, or indeed, to be more wicked. In the UK moral decline is a major issue with the government considering reintroducing religion back into our schools for the sole purpose of stemming a greater sense of moral accountability. There actually are surveys that show that those who have no moral accountability, when put into a moral dilemma, will almost always choose the wrong. You are saying the opposite.

What about the anger and vitriol then? 'That's not good', you will say. I consider that actually a normal and healthy reaction that one goes through when they've managed to break free from an unhealthy relationship. It's normal for people to be angry as part of the stages of grief one goes through with any extreme loss in their lives. And when that anger is expressed, often times it's just irrational. Think of their having rejected a religion that has failed them miserably like someone leaving an abusive relationship. Yes, they're going to be mad as hell once they are able to be free from it and start to heal! That anger is part of the healing process.

Are you speaking for yourself here. Ìf you are, then why haven't you demonstrated this behaviour. You are defending the abuser here by blaming the abused. There is no excuse for a husband to batter his wife, regardless of what she might say. You are saying that she deserves it because she didn't shut her mouth.

The above is normal, and healthy. What is not healthy however is what I said before that when all that remains, year and year after year is bitterness and cynicism. Think of it in terms of any human relationship. If after a divorce a man spends the rest of his life "hating women" (or a woman hating all men), that is in fact a failure in them to let go and take advantage to grow. It's no longer about the religion, in this case, but about them and their own bitterness. You find them too with the freshly out of religion atheists, trolling forums endlessly bashing believers, trying to bring them down. It's about them at this point, not about the religion. They are the ones who when presented with reasonable points of view demonstrate their own brand of irrationality against all religions, very much the way in my former example someone spends their whole life irrational seeing all men, or all women as the same. In summary, there is a difference between being angry and becoming bitter and irrational.

Well, you have to know that I cannot disagree with that. Yes, that is true, however, it is not an excuse for bad behaviour. There is no excuse for that. Yes, I sympathise with their dilemma but I do not want to be a victim of it. We all have the ability to practise self control. It is morally wrong to berate others as a result of their own inadequacies, however they may have arisen.

There are distinctions to be made in how those who are atheists may apply here as well. There is no one size fits all, atheists, religionists, men, women, etc blanket categories. I'd be careful not to broad-brush others the same as you feel they do you. As Gandhi once said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Wise words.

That is just another version of the parable that Jesus gave on judgement. That is not to judge others when we to walk imperfectly. I tend not to judge the individual as much as I do the congregation, who do all act like sheep, following each other to the den of wolves. Atheists on here are a certain type of person. In the real world it is hard to find them, other then those who seek notoriety, like Richard Dawkins, the lake Christopher Hitchens, Brian Cox and Lawrence Krauss. Most atheist fit into another pigeon hole unassociated with the odious attitudes of the angry atheists

What I have not heard from you was what I was hoping to was to hear where you feel the religion failed them.

Organised Religions do not act in the name of God. Would you pay a speeding fine that was issued to you by a taxi driver?

Can you try that? Can you try to see from the others point of view and maybe understand their complaints, setting aside both their angry statements and your natural self-defensiveness to them? It's hard to do, but quite amazing what happens to you when you do. It's the first step to truly being self-responsible, looking at yourself through others eyes.

Aren't we doing that right now? Do you detect any hostility from me, i sense none from you. You are being candid, yes, but i expect that in a debate. Surely, you too should wonder why you can debate in an amicable manner, yet, the angry atheist cannot. But I would love to have a constructive debate with them, however, for the most part, they are hostile from the getgo, they are to angry to reason with. The guy, on here, with the blog full of lies and deceit, who likes to report me, is on a mission to insult as many converted christians as he can. Some people just cannot see the wood In a forest, that is full of mixed trees. So, in response to your request "can you try that" I do.

Or maybe they are trying to heal and become a better person away from a religion that failed them? Isn't this possible too?

Yes, of course, however, there is no excuse for such hostile behaviour. It is a choice. We know when we are being nasty, regardless of the cause.

Isn't making it personal what you complain about them doing? To me a true Christian response would be compassion, which requires seeing their hurt and what is behind it and taking responsibility

We are on a forum exchanging words. We are not chatting over a pint. We do not see their pain or the anguish on their faces, or in their eyes. We are usuallh immediately confronted on here with immediate vicious denegrations. We then tend to act as we find, rightly or wrongly, and retaliate. Remember, to be a Christian is not to be perfect, it is to strive to be perfect.

if it is appropriate, or offering a healing response, rather than passing judgment on them and returning like injury for injury.

Yes, responding like with like is unacceptable, but hey, i am not perfect, i am still trying to be. It is something that i need to work on. Isn't it normal, like being angry at losing your faith, to retaliate against those who besmirch you?

Judgement is based on opinion, or circumstantial evidence, it is not based on facts, because facts are knowledge that require no judgement. I have no need to judge anyone who openly and publicly berates me. It is there, in their post, an absolute fact, requiring no judgement.

Why do you assume they have failed themselves?

I don't, they have failed at their attempts at being a Christian. I don't know them and their history to be able to say that the failed themselves or not. They failed God.

Ask them if they are more happy now, if they feel they have become better people for having left the religion.

Irrelevant, they might think they are, however, but that is because the failed at christianity. But they could not say that for a definite, Why? Because they have never been a converted Christian to be able to say he was not happy. He never made it that far, he failed, therefore, he doesn't know what it is like to be a Christian. If he did then he would not leave.

Would that be something you'd be willing to accept is true for them?

Of course. Their personal choices are none of my business. I do not think that you understand what Christianity is about. You keep confusing it with regions. It is a personal journey, through mortality, to be tried and tested in the flesh. If I can help anybody up the cliff face of happiness and purpose, on my journey, by offering them down a hand to help pull them up, then I will. It is their choice to either stretch out their hand and except my help, or not. I cannot force them. But, you are right, they may well think they are happy exactly where they are and do not want to entertain Christianity. They may resent your hand, that is trying to lift them up, in which case you are helpless and must allow them to be what they want to be and do what they want to do, it's their choice. They will be judge by their works, as we all will, accordingly, by God, not me. I am not evangelising to them or anybody else. It is to late for that.

You have to ask yourself that question with all sincerity to judge your own motivations.

Do you realise that Christians have no alternative but to be introspective. How do you know that you have sinned if you do not examine your own behaviour. You can't. What do you think my motivations are?

My motivation is to put myself in a position where I stand a better chance of gaining entry into the Kingdom of God, thus making it possible for me to help others whilst in that position. That is my priority. If I do not put myself as a priority then what hope do I have of helping anybody else. My motivations are honourable, and, let me assure you that if you knew me personally, you would not ask that question.

Do others have to believe like you do religiously in order for you to be happy for them? If so, is that really Love?

You forget that I am an individualist. I attend to religious establishment as a congregationalist. I do not even have that many religious friend, most of my friends are atheist, but I am equally happy for them both in their chosen lifestyle. Besides, I rarely talk about religion to anybody off of these forums and I certainly do not expect anyone to believe as I do, something that I have said on here many times. I just take great exception to the behaviour of the angry theist turned atheists who blames christianity for his failure and not himself.

No everyone's departure is uneventful. Some, like yours may have been, or it could also be being repressed, which happens too. For a lot of people, it all comes out in a gush and they have to get it out of them, they have to reclaim what was stolen from them. Be care not to do what is easy to do, and assume your experience is how everyone else's should be. It's perfectly normal for different responses at different times for people.

Yes, I know, but again, we all have self control. I either chose to me amicable or I chose to be nasty. Nobody forces me to do either. The only person accountable for those choices is me. I am the only one you can point a finger at. I would be an angry Serenity. It is not normal to be abrasive and caustic with your communication. It is plain and simple wrong, whether you are a theist or a atheist. It is morally unacceptable under any circumstances

Well, that's not true at all! Other Christians inflict great harm on others. Some of the very worst sorts of harm in fact, far worse than breaking your bones in a biking accident! Psychological damage if far worse than physical. Spiritual damage is even deeper! My God, the church has imprisoned and damaged countless beautiful souls, trying to force them to fit into a system under their control. I could fill pages talking about this. Psychotherapists earn the greatest percentage of their incomes because of the damage inflicted on youth in so many of these religious schools. It's incalculable.

No, you could fill pages on what man made religions has caused men to do. Atrocious stuff. You could not do the same for Christianity. They are two very different and distinctive things that you keep confusing. One is a lifestyle and the other is a social club. You are confusing man and God and then blaming God for what man does.

No, they do in fact have religion to blame, and themselves to take credit for the almost unimaginably heroic efforts and drives to be able to break themselves free from it. I honestly believe that for most atheists who have broken free from religion it is because they have what you could call, greater faith, than those who merely toe the line of doctrine. They respond to that which harms the soul at all cost, breaking from friends and family, security and acceptance, etc. This is in fact very much what early Christians did! Imagine that one, if you will! :) Was Jesus mad at the the Pharisees of his day? Would Christians consider Jesus an atheist today? I tend to imagine they might.

You say broken free, but what have they broken free from. When I went to church nobody was compelling me to be their. I was under no kind of control by the clergy. As doctrinally wrong as they were, I never felt controlled by them, so, when you say break free, you really do need to qualify it.

No Christians did not do that, religion did.

Jesus demonstrated righteous indignation, he was not mad.

Yes or no to what? Being part of a religion, or yes or no to breaking free to become truly alive

Yes, I choose God. No, I do not choose God. A simple yes or no. Nothing to do with individual religions. Everything to do with Christianity.

In my opinion, being alive is the result of being a truly converted Christian. So you think that I am not truly alive then? I really thought that I was. I have been both an atheist and a Christian. I have tasted them both. As a christian I have an eternal prospective, and believe that I will be with my wife and family after I die. If i am wrong i will not care as i will be dead, but i have had a happy life. As an atheist I believed that I would live for approximately three score and ten years, after which I would die and cease to exist. Which belief system do you think made me the happiest?[emoji39]

Last edited:

Serenity7855

Serenity7855
“I cannot think of a single principle, anywhere in scripture, or utilised in the Christian way of life, that could be remotely attributed to discrimination. Perhaps you can enlighten me”

I am assuming you have read the bible; however you appear forgetful just like the other faithful so here are just a few passages to remind you related to discrimination and I believe are detrimental to society easily found on Google.

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

“Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.” (Genesis 22:2)

Serenity7855 “Why would education omit science in favour of religion, or visa versa?”

If you believe in a creator and the planet is only a few thousand years old, Adam and Eve and Noah’s Ark you obviously have no belief in evolution or in scientific research regarding our existence so surely you can work that one out.

None of this is discriminatory. They are laws, no different then not being allowed to Jay walk.

I believe the earth to be 4.54 billions years old. Surely you can see the stupidity in thinking that it is only a few thousand years old. Take a look at the theory of evolution if you want to dismiss that fallacy.

I have absolute belief in evolution, until a better explanation is discovered, I accept the scientific theory completely. Why would you think any different. What have I said in my post to give you that impression.

JoStories

If you want to stop and think about it, life after death doctrines are only one part of a greater "life after death" project that happens everywhere, even outside religion. The doctrines or beliefs or myths are simply products of existential dread. Immortality projects abound everywhere, such as wanting to pass down your legacy to others, monuments in your name, etc. Frankly, except for those who have truly been enlightened, everyone alive is simply existing in coping mode. Recognizing religious myths as these is just the tip of the iceberg. ;)
Thanks windwalker. That is pretty. Ugh what I would have said, although probably not as well. I will defer to windwalker penguin.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thanks windwalker. That is pretty. Ugh what I would have said, although probably not as well. I will defer to windwalker penguin.
Never mind that Windwalker's post didn't resolve the issue I was asking you about. That post only pointed out that the issue affects more than just religion. This doesn't mean that religion is exempt.

rusra02

Premium Member
I think you are looking at the evidence and drawing the only reasonable conclusion. While the natural world gives evidence for a grand Creator, to really come to know him we must be taught by him. I believe the Bible gives evidence that it is God's revelation to us.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
None of this is discriminatory. They are laws, no different then not being allowed to Jay walk.
Question: if I say black people are not allowed into my shop, that is discriminatory. However, if I push a law which makes it illegal for black people to come into my shop, that makes it no longer discriminatory?