• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Florida is doing something similar. States gathering together those likeminded peaceably, like an assembly, in an effort to obtain greater freedom to practice their specified faiths or religions together and to have similar displays included in the school systems that best reflects the states citizen base.
Except it violates the tone of the 1st Amendment plus it's basically a legal recognition of one religion-- Christianity-- at the expense of others and also the non-religious. Hopefully, it'll be shut down, but with this SCOTUS, :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thats the issue, right?
It's not the issue.
Incorporation of the 1st Amendment is a relevant fact.
We'll see what happens. I support religious people and I I'll disagree that all religious literature should be kept out of schools.
Should all varieties of religious literature be kept
in schools, eg, Islam, Satanism, Hindu, Wicca?
History is part of education, it's part of world politics, also. It's part of sociology, and it's part of human dynamics and human psychology, along with world government, and government structures.
The 10 Commandments isn't history.
They are merely historical.
And believed to various extents by Christians.
Either way, I agree with the decision and see it as an exercise following an example set in 1776. This wouldn't be a full dissolution, but one that reflects citizenship in that state best. The same could be done all over this nation with various religions, which would show no bias from our federal law makers. It also secures freedom from religion, but better serves to allow freedom of religion in this nation. I don't imagine it to be an easy thing to achieve, so local involvement would be required to make it happen. The 49 states are still anti religion secure in schools, so most states probably wouldn't take the effort upon themselves.
To be secular, giving no religion primacy,
is not "anti-religion". But for Christians to
want to use government to enshrine their
religion to the exclusion of others, is indeed
anti-religion....anti-all-other-religions.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I hold them only to the standard they claim for themselves.

The connection is that Christian Dominionists want
their scripture, ie, the 10 Commandments posted for
all to observe & honor. It's troubling to use schools
run by government to proselytize to non-believers.
It's heavy handed, & un-constitutional. Moreover,
Christianity has a checkered history that's unworthy
of following. The 10 commandments are variously,
irrelevant, good, evil, incomplete, & even ignored
by the very Christians who trumpet them..

Well, I guess I'm not a Christian Dominionist.

Kathryn

Yeah. The average price. Like how the average cost.of a new car today is $47,000. Now of course some a way cheaper than that, half the price or less even, and some are 20 times that or more. Used go for way less, private sellers even less.
OK well even 1/2 that is the equivalent of at least $10,000.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Orthodox put great importance on apostolic tradition. So, one just needs to read the early Church Fathers to know. If you would like me to narrow the reading list down a bit for you, please let me know :cool:
I don't read Christian scripture.
I observe what Christians say about their faith.
There is diversity.
They give reasons they're right, & you're wrong.
You give reasons you're right, & they're wrong.
Neither of you have anything objective.

You're not right. You're not even wrong.

Kathryn

Then we disagree. Time moves on, people change -- and if they have no opportunity to respond to changing conditions because they're bound in servitude, they are not free.

Freedom is a very important concept to me. Lot's of Americans say the same thing, but they too often don't know what it really means.
Yep, we disagree. And I am not judging an era thousands of years ago, by 21st century standards.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
But we all already know this bill is unconstitutional. It is a religious symbol and has no relevancy to law or education.

What does it improve anywhere?

Unethical politicians willing to violate the state and national constitutions.

They surely did this for their own personal ideological aims, and in that sense it was easy for them to violate the two constitutions they live under.

And explain how hanging these posters helps anything. Wouldn't spending money on education or helping those in poverty be more worthwhile?

As a student, I understand the need for education and while some areas of the nation do better than others, there are many variables responsible. It has already been addressed, and for several years now, the disagreement with taking the commandments out of the schools systems, one of which I can relate to personally. As a Christian, I have declared Jesus as my personal teacher. Many never do, and for me that's fine. I have, as have many others. The point is it's personal.

The name itself one thing, the implication another. The appeal for truth and truthful interactions was his way, so with that stated and although the 10 "commandments" do not directly name Jesus, the implication is about learning something valuable...at least to some. Some apply nonsense, vain, and futile connotations to the idea that the 10 and likewise Jesus are profitable anymore to anyone who chooses to embrace them. Some of us disagree with those sentiments. This doesn't suggest that the teacher/student relationships of other households are any less valuable to them. Do they or I truly honor our teachers in vain?

Applied with or without religious connotations, aside from documentation of, the 10 begin with there shall be no God before me ... No God? then that's your answer. Allah? Then that's your answer. Brahma? Then that's your answer. People like me? It's still personal like that. The ideas that follow are either statements of "to be's" or matters of intent as codes of conduct being helpful in social settings.

This is my view and I'm sure other people's opinions will vary.

Regiomontanus

Orthodox
I don't read Christian scripture.
I observe what Christians say about their faith.
There is diversity.
They give reasons they're right, & you're wrong.
You give reasons you're right, & they're wrong.
Neither of you have anything objective.

You're not right. You're not even wrong.

I did not suggest you read scripture, but rather the early and very learned commentaries on them. It is of course your right to stay in the dark and jeopardize your soul. I still love you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I did not suggest you read scripture, but rather the early and very learned commentaries on them. It is of course your right to stay in the dark and jeopardize your soul. I still love you.
the emptiest of empty threats.
It has been awhile since I seen one.

We Never Know

No Slack
Why do you support them doing acts that violate their state and the national constitution?

This is not in dispute. The governor even admitted they want it to end up in the SCOTUS, and surely this is the same reason why conservatives have brought cases that could be overturned, as Roe v Wade was.

I'm asking you. You say you support them even though it's against the constitution.

Yet they can't go against their own constitution, nor the national one. They would have to work towards changing the US constitution first, then change the LA constitution next. They hope to get the SCOTUS to do another liberally crafted interpretation that allows a state to influence students with religious symbols. I hope some blue state will offset this act with a bill that forcrs schools to post Hindu, or Muslim sayings in all classrooms and let's see how enthustic far right wing Christians are about this.

Yet their aim is to get this case in front of the SCOTUS, so unless you aren't in the USA this is relevant to all of us eventually.

The tradition of impoverished areas seems to resist modernization. I'm not very familiar with the most impoverished areas of the former confederate states but I am aware there is severe needs. Many poor states need federal aid to help fund the needs of their students, and that is an obligation the federal government has to each US citizen.
Out of couriosity.... Why is it such a big problem for 'you'?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you believe that only your own view of Christianity
is the TRUE one, & you fail to acknowledge the others,
which one of use is really in the dark, eh.

Pogo

And yet it is quoted hundreds of times in Supreme Court decisions making it a legal document. Much of our legal system is based on the Ten Commandments.
Absolutely not, quoting a piece of literature does not make it a legal document. What is it about this book that you have turned into a graven image that so blinds religious fundamentalists to understanding even the concept of the pluralistic society and plain English?
Is it just years of reinterpreting snippets of the book you worship to fit whatever moral standpoint that you have decided that it supports?

How does this from the Louisiana state constitution
§8. Freedom of Religion Section 8. No law shall be enacted respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
square with this.
AN ACT 2 To enact R.S. 17:2122 and 3996(B)(82), relative to public elementary, secondary, and 3 postsecondary schools; to require display of the Ten Commandments in each 4 classroom; to provide relative to the use of public funds for this purpose;

Is it your understanding that if someone wants something that violates the state constitution in this case, all they have to do is just write something and it will automatically override the constitution or do we live in a country of laws where we need to go through a process to amend said constitution?

Argentbear

It doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. The context Mr Humanist was something along the lines of how many times are the words “Ten Commandments” was listed in the Bible. There is absolutely no relevance.
you have pointed out many many times that the decalogue was mentioned by the Supreme Court over 300 times. My question remains...So what? what dose that have to do with this pushing of a particular religion into schools?

Argentbear

And yet it is quoted hundreds of times in Supreme Court decisions making it a legal document. Much of our legal system is based on the Ten Commandments.
No it doesn't make it a legal document. Legal documents are enforceable.

American law was copied almost word for word from English law. English law came whole cloth form Roman Law and Roman Law was taken form the Greeks who originated it. The ten commandments is not what modern law or our legal system is based on.