• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Argentbear

The State endorsed the 10 as a historical document that supports general laws of the nation and as a guide to help promote good relations within the community. The legal relevancies of abiding by them are warranted, and a way to remind us that no idols are required in that state as symbols of worship, and to help promote healthy family and community relations between community members. So, if there is no God, the laws stand, and none are required to create idols, everyone has the right to rest every week, and this will not be vain in application. This also promotes a no converting dynamic, which reminds us to allow others to honor their own upbringing if they so choose it.
no idols are required...except the one Louisiana is putting into every class.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
no idols are required...except the one Louisiana is putting into every class.
You call carved in stone rules, statements of affirmation, and securities that are not vain in application ... printed reminders of what is beneficial and not as historic displays, an idol? Then, is anything written or printed at all NOT an idol, in your opinion?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
You call carved in stone rules, statements of affirmation, and securities that are not vain in application ... printed reminders of what is beneficial and not as historic displays, an idol? Then, is anything written or printed at all NOT an idol, in your opinion? Do we need text books?

Argentbear

You call carved in stone rules, statements of affirmation, and securities that are not vain in application ... printed reminders of what is beneficial and not as historic displays, an idol? Then, is anything written or printed at all NOT an idol, in your opinion?
If something is carved in stone it is unchanging. I found five different versions of the commandments in a minute of searching google. THe fact you bring up "carved in stone" shows you see them as an idol too.

Affirmations are written in the positive. Thou shall not is defiantly not an affirmation

The current application is to provoke a hearing at the supreme court. Pretty vain

How are prescriptions for following a specific sect of a religion beneficial to those who are not members of the state religion?

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't have a problem with it. One reason the US is in a mess is because too many make mountains out of molehills.

Here's a good example....

IMG_20240626_111208.jpg

No one is made/forced to recite them, live by them, know them, kneel to them, pray to them, etc.
Its historic literature. Its not turning school into a religious establishment. To my understanding more than one religion has the same/similar 10 commandments.

Now if they were being made/forced to recite them, know them, live by them, kneel to them, pray to them, etc. that would be a different story.

Here's an example....

Arizona House Passes a Bill That Would Force Children To Say the Pledge of Allegiance​

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
If something is carved in stone it is unchanging. I found five different versions of the commandments in a minute of searching google. THe fact you bring up "carved in stone" shows you see them as an idol too.

Affirmations are written in the positive. Thou shall not is defiantly not an affirmation

The current application is to provoke a hearing at the supreme court. Pretty vain

How are prescriptions for following a specific sect of a religion beneficial to those who are not members of the state religion?

With the guidance, that's what they imply. Also, I purposely brought up the carved stone, and then the printed material and display simply because I knew what you were referring to. If I utilize this and affirm, I won't steal, I won't murder, I won't lie against other people, I won't tempt myself to want your things, I won't make idols of worship, I will rest when I need to, I won't want to screw your wife, nor will I, and I'm assured of this because I don't utilize or take this up in vain. All this means that I will abide by the laws of the land as they are, and I'll be a good neighbor, I won't pose a threat to you, and I'm not required to worship your God and I'm free to honor my own in my own way, nor will I attempt to convert anyone to my religion, due to this same guidance ... Honor your mother and father tells me that I should also allow others to do the same.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It doesn't matter what religion(s) they were or were not what matters is the put into constitution that there was to be no state religion

What matters is no religion then? You are free to have no God, no religion, no concept of my upbringing apart from my upbringing in the United states, which is a very diverse nation made up of many cultures. The laws here evident. What are the penalties for adultery in Islam? How about Judaism? How about the many others? We can't make laws respecting these laws, but we can allude to the reason they were employed. Trust is a valuable thing. Less risk equates to better relations. I'm sure of this. If I steal in this nation, there are laws set up as punishments that don't respect any particular religion. They are secular laws. The 10 commandments are not laws of this nature. They are guidance worthy, however. They also help to secure me from other religion and their laws and penal systems. I'm also assured that I am not expected to make graven images of worship. I'm free not too. The constitution enables the free practice of our choosing within legal parameters. If I want to make a graven image, the constitution protects my right. If I want to always work, I can. If I want to desire your wife to have sex with her, I suggest it's not a good idea and my affirmation of the guides assure me that it's not vain to resist desiring your wife to have sex with her. The 10 to be displayed seem sensible. I can affirm that religious laws are vacant from them.