• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Specifically, the ten commandments allude to general laws of land in the states here. If I applied them as I now understand them, they would imply general affirmations of abiding by the laws present already. If I allow these to guide my actions, I won't lie against my neighbors, I won't murder, I won't screw your wife or cheat on my own, I won't be tempted to steal anything belonging to anyone else, I'll choose to rest a day (maybe on weekends), I won't need to offer idols or anything, and these actions and guidance won't be in vain. That's what they tell me as an affirmation of applying my will to them. This suggests they are valuable to me, you, and my neighbors.
These laws are only a handful of many passed to protect us and to set standards we should abide by, so why should only 10 be posted?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And the establishment clause of the US Constitution? What do Buddhist, Hindu, or Muslim kids get from this? Freedom of religion!!
Sorry, but this is a Protestant based nation. Not even simply Christian, but also PROTESTANT. Hence, the hanging of a Protestant version of the Ten Commandments throughout a state that has freaking parishes instead of counties for goodness sake.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
These laws are only a handful of many passed to protect us and to set standards we should abide by, so why should only 10 be posted?
Do you want more as in no smoking, or no food in lockers or just more religious ones, including other religions? I don't pretend to know what you expect me to say. You know about the efforts being made in Louisiana, specific to their voter base. I'm sure California would very likely have a different idea of what should be allowed there and again, based on their own voter base. Why not more being posted? You tell me.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The context of all the brouhaha is about posting the Ten Commandments. My position is that it has historical value.
But that's not why you or the rest of theocratic Christendom wants it in schools. It's to indoctrinate children into worshiping the god of Abraham and in Louisiana, that means becoming Christians, which means voting Christian and tithing in churches. That's the prize.
much of our laws are based on it.
No American law is based in any part of scripture. That would be unconstitutional. American law is of humanist origin which means it derives from reason applied to empathy (rational ethics). That there is overlap is no surprise. That there are very divergent areas tells you that the Bible is not the source of law. The first four Commandments are antithetical to the Constitution and freedom from a state religion, and you've already been told that coveting, adultery, and most lying is not illegal in America.
It isn’t pushing a religion
It's pushing the god of several religions, but in Louisiana, only one of them matters.
it isn’t being forced on anyone
It's being forced on school children.
I do not really care about the constitution.
If you mean the American Constitution, then there is no need to respect it unless you're an American. Which ever it is, many Americans feel like you do, which demonstrates the pernicious, anti-American effect the American church has. For American conservative Christians, it's often religion>party>>country. Mike Pence said, "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican — in that order" American didn't even make the list. That's what his religion has taught him.
The truth does not need amendments.
But you don't have the truth. What you have are unfalsifiable claims you believe by faith and call truth.

It looks like you didn't feel any more threatened by my alternative afterlife scenario than non-Christians are by the threats of hellfire for disregarding the Christian god. See how easy that was? You just dismiss it for lack of evidence, although it was a good argument.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do you want more as in no smoking, or no food in lockers or just more religious ones, including other religions? I don't pretend to know what you expect me to say. You know about the efforts being made in Louisiana, specific to their voter base. I'm sure California would very likely have a different idea of what should be allowed there and again, based on their own voter base. Why not more being posted? You tell me.

The point is that the Decalogue are religious laws that apply to just two religions, plus agnostics and atheists are left out.

IMO, it was likely passed in Louisiana for religious reasons because there are similar laws with some of them already on the books. Also, some of the laws in the 10 are strictly religious. Religious oppression obviously still exists here at times.

Finally, the SCOTUS has previously declared such an approach to be unconstitutional, so there is past precedent for declaring them unconstitutional.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
But that's not why you or the rest of theocratic Christendom wants it in schools. It's to indoctrinate children into worshiping the god of Abraham and in Louisiana, that means becoming Christians, which means voting Christian and tithing in churches. That's the prize.

opinion

No American law is based in any part of scripture.

opinion

That would be unconstitutional. American law is of humanist origin which means it derives from reason applied to empathy (rational ethics). That there is overlap is no surprise. That there are very divergent areas tells you that the Bible is not the source of law. The first four Commandments are antithetical to the Constitution and freedom from a state religion, and you've already been told that coveting, adultery, and most lying is not illegal in America.

opinion and twisting of words
It's pushing the god of several religions, but in Louisiana, only one of them matters.

It's being forced on school children.

If you mean the American Constitution, then there is no need to respect it unless you're an American. Which ever it is, many Americans feel like you do, which demonstrates the pernicious, anti-American effect the American church has. For American conservative Christians, it's often religion>party>>country. Mike Pence said, "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican — in that order" American didn't even make the list. That's what his religion has taught him.

But you don't have the truth. What you have are unfalsifiable claims you believe by faith and call truth.

It looks like you didn't feel any more threatened by my alternative afterlife scenario than non-Christians are by the threats of hellfire for disregarding the Christian god. See how easy that was? You just dismiss it for lack of evidence, although it was a good argument.

Don’t need to continue answer the rest. It sounds more like religiophobia in reference to the ten commandments. I think we will have to let the Supreme Court decide. I’m sure, either way, life will go on without any violence in reference to it.

Pogo

Right. So why isn't there 52 pages of outrage about it?
Because we don't have radical Christians spewing garbage about it and nobody is actually attempting to enforce it

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)​

Argued:March 11, 1943
Decided:June 14, 1943
Annotation
PRIMARY HOLDING

Students may not be required to salute the American flag or recite the Pledge of Allegiance at public schools if it is contrary to their religious beliefs.

It is actually due for an update if you want to make a case of it. There are lots of laws that are honored only in their ignorance such as the one that came back to bite Arizona over midwifery passed in the 1860s and the Comstock laws that Christians want to make their next hill to demonstrate their archaic instincts.

Pogo

Ya know, we could all be reading a book right now.
-Huey Freeman
(thinking out loud regarding this thread)
md31879255479.jpg

good idea.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The point is that the Decalogue are religious laws that apply to just two religions, plus agnostics and atheists are left out.

IMO, it was likely passed in Louisiana for religious reasons because there are similar laws with some of them already on the books. Also, some of the laws in the 10 are strictly religious. Religious oppression obviously still exists here at times.

Finally, the SCOTUS has previously declared such an approach to be unconstitutional, so there is past precedent for declaring them unconstitutional.

The ties that bind us together as a nation under these secular laws protect us and the declaration made in 1776 made a way apparent to us. I would anticipate federal funding for Louisiana, even after they go through the supreme court. The other 49 States, have the same liberties and if Louisianna is denied, I would anticipate further exercise as defined in our constitution and our declaration of Independence, whether that means dissolution of federal school funding or dissolution from the secular demands placed on the schools is yet to be determined.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The State endorsed the 10 as a historical document that supports general laws of the nation
Except that the laws of the USA were not in any way based on the 10 Commandments. The references to God is completely irrelevant to laws.
and as a guide to help promote good relations within the community.
How has the 10 Commandements ever been used in this way? I've never heard of it in my exprience.
The legal relevancies of abiding by them are warranted,
How so?
and a way to remind us that no idols are required in that state as symbols of worship,
Yet the 10 Commandements are a symbol of Judaism and Christianity. The posters themselves are idols. They have no practical learning purpose to students. To my mind I encourage students to protest, and vandalize these posters to send a message of defiance against tyranny and unconstitutional laws.
and to help promote healthy family and community relations between community members.
Well, it hasn't really worked. Christians have about a 50% divorce rate. What does that lack of commitment to family teach young people? I suggest Christians get their own **** together before they force hypocrisy onto students.
So, if there is no God, the laws stand, and none are required to create idols, everyone has the right to rest every week, and this will not be vain in application.
Great, now Christians just need to prove their version of God exists. If they can't, the 10 Commandmenets is junk idol worship.
This also promotes a no converting dynamic, which reminds us to allow others to honor their own upbringing if they so choose it.
If they weren't hypocrits they would have included symbols of all religions, but they didn't. They admit they want this before the SCOTUS which makes it political and sinister. That is what students should learn, that these right wing republicans are sinister. What a great introduction to atheism for these students. Let's hope more of them reject religion.