• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Except that the laws of the USA were not in any way based on the 10 Commandments. The references to God is completely irrelevant to laws.

How has the 10 Commandements ever been used in this way? I've never heard of it in my exprience.

How so?

Yet the 10 Commandements are a symbol of Judaism and Christianity. The posters themselves are idols. They have no practical learning purpose to students. To my mind I encourage students to protest, and vandalize these posters to send a message of defiance against tyranny and unconstitutional laws.

Well, it hasn't really worked. Christians have about a 50% divorce rate. What does that lack of commitment to family teach young people? I suggest Christians get their own **** together before they force hypocrisy onto students.

Great, now Christians just need to prove their version of God exists. If they can't, the 10 Commandmenets is junk idol worship.

If they weren't hypocrits they would have included symbols of all religions, but they didn't. They admit they want this before the SCOTUS which makes it political and sinister. That is what students should learn, that these right wing republicans are sinister. What a great introduction to atheism for these students. Let's hope more of them reject religion.

I've stated my view in these posts already beginning with post: #949 #966 #977 #980

Last edited:

Herzlich

Sorry, but this is a Protestant based nation. Not even simply Christian, but also PROTESTANT. Hence, the hanging of a Protestant version of the Ten Commandments throughout a state that has freaking parishes instead of counties for goodness sake.
Not a Protestant-based nation! Freedom of worship is a constitutional right, whether that is the worship of Allah, Jahweh, Brahma, or other.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sure, but for different (and ugly) reasons. We could do much better than what we have now.
That requires calling out those who proactively bastardize the Constitution and the Bill of Rights for their own political game.

Mainly involving the issues of legislation from the bench and the usage of lawfare.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The ties that bind us together as a nation under these secular laws protect us and the declaration made in 1776 made a way apparent to us. I would anticipate federal funding for Louisiana, even after they go through the supreme court. The other 49 States, have the same liberties and if Louisianna is denied, I would anticipate further exercise as defined in our constitution and our declaration of Independence, whether that means dissolution of federal school funding or dissolution from the secular demands placed on the schools is yet to be determined.
You seemingly keep missing the point that the Decalogue are religions teachings-- period. Louisiana is a state that falls under the jurisdiction of the Constitution and the 1st Amendment, and that also applies to all the remaining 49.

So, are you proposing ending the Constitution's 1st Amendment or ignoring it? Your responses I find rather confusing, although I may not have read them all.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
You seemingly keep missing the point that the Decalogue are religions teachings-- period. Louisiana is a state that falls under the jurisdiction of the Constitution and the 1st Amendment, and that also applies to all the remaining 49.

So, are you proposing ending the Constitution's 1st Amendment or ignoring it? Your responses I find rather confusing, although I may not have read them all.

I'm proposing that in a secular nation with freedom of religion, and one having a constitution directing us as to how we adopt our laws, that the constitution would allow for the 10 commandments in that State, given they show no bias of the laws of religious practices, at least in terms of penal decisions. For example, some religions still hold to stoning, others still hold to cutting off the hands of thieves, etc. We no longer have crucifixions, or beheadings, things of that nature. When a majority comes together to approve a list as a document for display, no matter whether it came from the Bible, the Torah, the Quaran, or the many other texts available, it shows no partiality in the laws of our nation.

I'm happy about what happened 50 years ago, but I'm also happy about the new move forward. The effort is not unnoticed, nor the resistance to allowing them the display of their choosing by the secular among us.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'm proposing that in a secular nation with freedom of religion, and one having a constitution directing us as to how we adopt our laws, that the constitution would allow for the 10 commandments in that State
The issue here is not about "allowing" but about mandating. In other words what we are talking about is using the power of the State to force teachers to put up a sign in their classroom that says you can't worship any other God.

You can't do that and still pretend you have freedom of religion.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Maybe the historical context is this:

John Jay > Quotes > Quotable Quote​

(?)
John Jay

“Providence has given to our people the choice of their ruler, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. John Jay First Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.”​

― John Jay, Cliffs Notes on The Federalist

Interesting that the original framers of the Constitution called it a Christian nation

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

(?)
John Jay

“Providence has given to our people the choice of their ruler, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. John Jay First Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.”​

Interesting that the original framers of the Constitution called it a Christian nation
Questions....
All of the framers wanted a Christian nation?
Do you believe that discrimination against non-Christians is legal?
That it is good?
Does Jay's statement supersede Jefferson's separation of church & state?

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal

(?)
John Jay

Too bad he was wrong and in contradiction with the First Amendment and Article IV of the Articles of Confederation at the beginning of the Constitution.......“no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too bad he was wrong and in contradiction with the First Amendment and Article IV of the Articles of Confederation at the beginning of the Constitution.......“no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”
So many Christians believe their faith trumps the Constitution.
This was so even among the founders. If John Jay were alive
today....