• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This is correct… Religious “BONDAGE” - he wasn’t referring to his faith. Jesus had a problem with the religious.
You apparently did see where he said Christianity is on trial.
Can’t change his quotes.
Ultimately Jefferson thought religion was very private and refused to support even a government sponsored day of prayer. Ultimately he'd shove the rest of us out of the way to say Louisiana absolutely cannot do this because it's a needless division of the Union (and the Union itself used to be of paramount and sacrosanct importance to US Presidents).
Amd, yes, he utterly rejected the miracles and other supernatural events in the Bible, including the Resurrection.
LOL… Treatise of Tripoli?
Don't like it being attributed to Founding Fathers? That's who wrote and signed it and had to make absolutely sure it was highlighted with a legal neon sign to some Muslim countries that the US isn't q Christian nation and will have none of this Christian vs Muslim nonsense.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Pushing religion on a minority is no better than pushing religion on the majority. Freedom of religion means freedom of religion for everyone.
Currently, secular binds prevent some majorities in this nation's lesser state assemblies from acknowledging the majority of those states. While secular law protects us all from religious laws being thrust upon our populations, it has become burdensome in application due to unacknowledged relevancies of the original intent.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
So, that's a justification for a state or the fed to push (a) religion on everyone? That's called "brainwashing". The FF didn't want that, which is why they put in the Establishment Clause.

Secular does not equate to being immoral, it simply suggests that our laws are non-religious ones. This includes Louisiana. This law is not religious. It simply deals with a very small religious document reflecting that states majority.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Also keep in mind in the Declaration and Constitution there is not one specific mention of Christianity or the Bible. Instead we find a phrase more common for deists and pantheists, that being Nature's God, as well as a very generic Almighty that is used by many. We find nothing from the Bible but what we do find is a very obvious plagarism of John Locke. We also find Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion and a prohibition on tests of faith for public office. There is no Father, Son or Holy Ghost anywhere.
The Constitution was a “United States” - with rights given to the individual States. Look at the Constitution of the States for more detailed understanding.

F1fan

Veteran Member
We are talking about posting the 10 commandments…
It's illegal outside of a comparative religion class. You Christians being all giddy about this is telling of how nefarious this whole stunt is.
no ‘push religion on everyone’
References to any of the many gods is religious outside of a class that is about religions. The fact the list asserts a God exists is religion. Remember, no gods are known to exist.

How about this, there should be a notice that says no God is known to exist next to all 10 Commandment posters. Would you agree to that if it's not rto push religion as you claim?.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Secular does not equate to being immoral, it simply suggests that our laws are non-religious ones. This includes Louisiana. This law is not religious.
Then why does the poster of the 10 Commandments include falsehood that refers to a God as if it exists and is factual? You do realize the 10 Commandments is not factual, yes?
It simply deals with a very small religious document reflecting that states majority.
Is there a notice next to each poster of the 10 Commandemnets that explains this reason to students?

Argentbear

We are talking about posting the 10 commandments… no ‘push religion on everyone’
no it is the mandatory posting in every classroom of a particular sect of Christianity's version of the ten commandments for the purpose of indoctrination. that is what makes it pushing religion on to everyone

Argentbear

They are pushing it in that State, but not to indoctrinate those who reside there. It's obvious enough that most are in agreement with the displays.
A couple generations ago it was obvious that most were in agreement with racial segregation. That agreement did not make segregation good, just or constitutional.

Argentbear

Secular does not equate to being immoral, it simply suggests that our laws are non-religious ones. This includes Louisiana. This law is not religious. It simply deals with a very small religious document reflecting that states majority.
saying this law is not religious is like saying the fact that in Louisiana lynching was legal until 2022 was not racial. (and making lynching illegal was not done by the state but was imposed on the state by the federal government)

Shadow Wolf

And America wasn't established to favor the majority religion but also protect the minority religion as well by keeping religion out of politics.

Shadow Wolf

The Constitution was a “United States” - with rights given to the individual States. Look at the Constitution of the States for more detailed understanding.
Yeah, and even back then anything from the state respecting religion was a no. Can't do it because it goes against the spirit of holding the Union together and there are too many different religions here, since Day 1, for the state to acknowledge religion in such a way.
Seriously, the Civil War didn't happen sooner because even slavery took a back seat to preserving the Union and even Amdrew Jackson would not hear any talks of succession. The "original intent" keeps that same zeal when it comes to keeping the church and state separate to maximize freedom and best preserve the Union.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
TRUE STORY TIME, AND AN ASIDE NOTE:

First of all, I always wanted to go to Monticello, even before the whole Sally Hemings thing. I FINALLY WENT THERE a couple of years ago. It was super interesting. For instance, Jefferson never finished working on it - people would visit him and say things like "Sawdust was everywhere." I get that. I also revisited Mt. Vernon. At some point, I bought a super interesting book which actually compared the two HOUSES AND ESTATES, not the two men, which was a different take on things. Jefferson was widely regarded as a genius, and Washington was widely regarded as NOT a genius. However, Jefferson died so in debt that many of his slaves (don't get me started) had to be sold along with much of his estate. Washington did not die in any debt. In fact, he freed his slaves upon his wife's death (which I also found weird but oh well, it was the times I guess). However, he could not by law free any slaves his wife had inherited - they were considered "dower slaves." Anyway, his wife went ahead and freed them about two years after her husband's death (not the dower slaves, his slaves - the dower slaves were considered part of his wife's estate and needed to be passed down to her kids). Anyway, I just thought the whole comparison of the two estates was interesting. Oh, also, Mt Vernon is symmetrically laid out and I don't believe that Monticello is, which I also found to be interesting. I mean, Monticello LOOKS symmetrical but apparently it is not, while Mt. Vernon is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's a factual statement.
But to what purpose?
You don't state what rights the states have.
Well.....what is your claim?

Kenny

Premium Member
You apparently did see where he said Christianity is on trial.

It’s always on traial
Ultimately Jefferson thought religion was very private and refused to support even a government sponsored day of prayer. Ultimately he'd shove the rest of us out of the way to say Louisiana absolutely cannot do this because it's a needless division of the Union (and the Union itself used to be of paramount and sacrosanct importance to US Presidents).
Amd, yes, he utterly rejected the miracles and other supernatural events in the Bible, including the Resurrection.

Doesn’t change the foundation of the US

Don't like it being attributed to Founding Fathers? That's who wrote and signed it and had to make absolutely sure it was highlighted with a legal neon sign to some Muslim countries that the US isn't q Christian nation and will have none of this Christian vs Muslim nonsense.

When they redid that treaty for the second, they eliminated that phrase. Never can trust treaties. They will say anything for peace and then adjust later.

Kenny

Premium Member
That's a factual statement.
But to what purpose?
You don't state what rights the states have.
Well.....what is your claim?
There are state rights and federal rights. As I have said before, if the freedom of religion even meant freedom of religion, they would have had to change every State Constitution. People tend to ignore that truth.