• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Freedom of Religion did NOT affect State Constitutions.

It absolutely does, and a test case that went to SCOTUS was here in Michigan whereas one community put up nativity scenes but not any other religions or secular symbols were represented, thus changes had to be made. The Constitution applies to all states, all communities, and all Americans.

Take care.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It very much is religious, such as what we see with the first 6 Commandments. How anyone can claim they're not religious is beyond me.
The suggestion was that the effort is an indoctrination attempt and not a constitutional argument for the inclusion of the 10. Obviously, they are known as Christian and from Abrahamic origin. My suggestion is that this is a 1st amendment issue and that the 10 do more to protect other religions and the non-religious than imposing religion on anyone. I particularly like the no requirement affirmation that we are not required to make idols and worship them and how the honor your mother and father would dictate allowing others to do the same. The God reference is broad and if you don't prescribe to Christianity or Abrahamic religions, then even currency has a God association attached. A particular point I make is "what isn't God"? Of course I'm a Pantheist who identifies as a Panenthiest, so my understanding of God is my own and no one is required to view this the same way.

Pogo

That is correct… it is a STATE right.

When the Constitution does not address a particular item it is a STATE right.

Freedom of Religion did NOT affect State Constitutions.

Are you purposefully changing the context of what Is said? If the Constitution said “Freedom FROM Religion” - State Constitutions would have had to be changed.

No… you are dancing around what I said. Why?
Go back and read the Louisiana State Constitution section 8 on freedom of religion, it is effectively the same as the US Constitution. Your state's rights argument is irrelevant in that this law is just as illegal in Louisiana by their own constitution even if for some reason their laws superseded the federal laws. Your argument is silly in it's ignorance of actual law.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Go back and read the Louisiana State Constitution section 8 on freedom of religion, it is effectively the same as the US Constitution. Your state's rights argument is irrelevant in that this law is just as illegal in Louisiana by their own constitution even if for some reason their laws superseded the federal laws. Your argument is silly in it's ignorance of actual law.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
But they are his religion and hence obviously true. Street preacher logic.
Street logic suggests that you place your mind upon my view erroneously. For example: The Christian march cannot succeed in this nation, nor can a Muslim march, nor one of Judaism or any other. Our secular nation prevents this, or is structured in a way that should do so. The issue, as I see it, is in the fear factor and association of religious rule. As a state and under constitutional law, the 10 commandments should be permitted in Louisiana and attempts to convert others not of Christian origin should be shackled by the inclusion of the displays that reflect their state majorities citizen base.

"Honor thy mother and thy father." This would dictate obedience from those who belong to this precept, which would prevent them from attempting to convert others of different religious backgrounds into their religion.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Y'all. Like it or not, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are HISTORIC documents and thus they can hang in the classrooms. Because like it or not, this nation was founded on the Abrahamic, Christian faith. So just like we swear on a bible in a courtroom, or trade in currency that has "In God We Trust" on it, and Congress opens in prayer and all that good stuff, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are historic documents.

Pogo

Street logic suggests that you place your mind upon my view erroneously. For example: The Christian march cannot succeed in this nation, nor can a Muslim march, nor one of Judaism or any other. Our secular nation prevents this, or is structured in a way that should do so. The issue, as I see it, is in the fear factor and association of religious rule. As a state and under constitutional law, the 10 commandments should be permitted in Louisiana and attempts to convert others not of Christian origin should be shackled by the inclusion of the displays that reflect their state majorities citizen base.

"Honor thy mother and thy father." This would dictate obedience from those who belong to this precept, which would prevent them from attempting to convert others of different religious backgrounds into their religion.
Like I said, street preacher logic. I remember the bank and its retainer wall at Shattuck and Vine. Regularly occupied.

Pogo

Y'all. Like it or not, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are HISTORIC documents and thus they can hang in the classrooms. Because like it or not, this nation was founded on the Abrahamic, Christian faith. So just like we swear on a bible in a courtroom, or trade in currency that has "In God We Trust" on it, and Congress opens in prayer and all that good stuff, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are historic documents.
Except that it is not and this has been adjudicated numerous times even all the way to the SC.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It is a Constitution matter. But does the Constitution still matter?
This.

The founding fathers who made the constitution were inspired by figures like Genghis Khan more than Christians (google it)

The ones who put together the constitution, gave us a country where American citizens had a right to own slaves, many of our leaders and presidents before Abraham Lincoln owned slaves.

So, obviously the constitution doesn't matter, because we strongly, as a general rule, on average, in America, disagree with the lifestyle and rights the founding fathers of America ,
and what authors of the constitution said American citizens are allowed, + deemed as acceptable.

President Abraham Lincoln fought the bloodiest war for America, and lost his life, to take away rights, freedoms, liberties, and lifestyles that the authors of the constitution and early presidents + leaders, fathers of America granted + they did not make illegal or deem unacceptable.

So, no, Americans these days, the ones on the side of Abe Lincoln, should rationally not have much respect for the authors of the constitution as being infallible, without error.

No where does the Bible promote democracy. It promotes theocracy, where God selected and anointed a king. And the people did not vote.

(Coincidentally, 6/19 is the celebration of freedom from slavery, abolition "June Teenth". It is my sobriety date I want to keep as freedom from slavery of addiction.)

Skip Navigation Links
2024 REGULAR SESSION
HB71 by Representative Dodie Horton

SCHOOLS: Requires the display of the Ten Commandments in schools

Current Status: Signed by the Governor - Act 676

Skip Navigation Links
Text
Expand Text
����������������������
DateChamberJournal
Page
Action​
sort history by ascending dates
06/19
H​
Effective date: 06/19/2024.​
06/19
H​
Signed by the Governor. Becomes Act No. 676.​
06/04
H​
Sent to the Governor for executive approval.​
05/30
H​
7​
Enrolled and signed by the Speaker of the House.​
05/29
S​
68​
Signed by the President of the Senate.​
05/28
H​
52​
Read by title, roll called, yeas 79, nays 16, Senate amendments concurred in.​
05/22
H​
Scheduled for concurrence on 05/28/2024.​
05/20
H​
2​
Received from the Senate with amendments.​
05/16
S​
46​
Rules suspended. Senate floor amendments read and adopted. Read by title, passed by a vote of 30 yeas and 8 nays, and ordered returned to the House. Motion to reconsider tabled.​
05/07
S​
1​
Reported without Legislative Bureau amendments. Read by title and passed to third reading and final passage.​
05/06
S​
17​
Read by title and referred to the Legislative Bureau.​
05/01
S​
30​
Rules suspended. Reported favorably.​
04/16
S​
4​
Read second time by title and referred to the Committee on Education.​
04/15
S​
3​
Received in the Senate. Read first time by title and placed on the Calendar for a second reading.​
04/10
H​
21​
Read third time by title, amended, roll called on final passage, yeas 82, nays 19. Finally passed, title adopted, ordered to the Senate.​
04/09
H​
Scheduled for floor debate on 04/10/2024.​
04/08
H​
6​
Read by title, ordered engrossed, passed to 3rd reading.​
04/04
H​
47​
Reported favorably (10-3).​
03/11
H​
11​
Read by title, under the rules, referred to the Committee on Education.​
02/09
H​
First appeared in the Interim Calendar on 2/9/2024.​
02/08
H​
Under the rules, provisionally referred to the Committee on Education.​
02/08
H​
Prefiled.​

P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Y'all. Like it or not, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are HISTORIC documents and thus they can hang in the classrooms. Because like it or not, this nation was founded on the Abrahamic, Christian faith.
Like it or not, posting one religion's "historic documents"
but no others is establishment. Moreover, the 10 Commandments
aren't history. They're religious commandments.
So just like we swear on a bible in a courtroom....
Requiring swearing an oath to God (the name
of the Christian god) is establishment. This
requires something dishonest of us heathens.
Or....we must put the court on notice that we're
not Christians by requesting a secular oath.
Been there & done that.
**** Christians who put me in this position that
risks adjudication influenced by religious prejudice.

Christians don't care about this
because it doesn't affect them.
....or trade in currency that has "In God We Trust" on it, and Congress opens in prayer and all that good stuff, the state of Louisiana is saying that these are historic documents.
The pledge had no Christian god in it until Christians
added it in the 50s. The original mottos were secular.
1719872145852.jpeg

Pogo

This. The founding fathers who made the constitution were inspired by figures like Genghis Khan more than Christians (google it)

The ones who put together the constitution, gave us a country where American citizens had a right to own slaves, many of our leaders and presidents before Abraham Lincoln owned slaves.

So, obviously the constitution doesn't matter, because we strongly, as a general rule, on average, in America, disagree with the lifestyle and rights the founding fathers of America and authors of the constitution said American citizens are allowed, and deemed acceptable.

President Abraham Lincoln fought the bloodiest war for America, to take away rights, freedoms, liberties, and lifestyles that the authors of the constitution and early presidents+ leaders, fathers of America granted + did not make illegal or deem it unacceptable.

So, no, Americans these days, the ones on the side of Abe Lincoln, should have no respect for the authors of the constitution.

No where does the Bible promote democracy. It promotes theocracy, where God selected and anointed a king. And the people did not vote.

(Coincidentally, 6/19 is the celebration of freedom from slavery, abolition "June Teenth". It is my sobriety date I want to keep as freedom from slavery of addiction.)

Skip Navigation Links
2024 REGULAR SESSION
HB71 by Representative Dodie Horton

SCHOOLS: Requires the display of the Ten Commandments in schools

Current Status: Signed by the Governor - Act 676

Date ChamberJournal
Page
Action​
sort history by ascending dates
06/19
H​
Effective date: 06/19/2024.​
06/19
H​
Signed by the Governor. Becomes Act No. 676.​
06/04
H​
Sent to the Governor for executive approval.​
05/30
H​
7​
Enrolled and signed by the Speaker of the House.​
05/29
S​
68​
Signed by the President of the Senate.​
05/28
H​
52​
Read by title, roll called, yeas 79, nays 16, Senate amendments concurred in.​
05/22
H​
Scheduled for concurrence on 05/28/2024.​
05/20
H​
2​
Received from the Senate with amendments.​
05/16
S​
46​
Rules suspended. Senate floor amendments read and adopted. Read by title, passed by a vote of 30 yeas and 8 nays, and ordered returned to the House. Motion to reconsider tabled.​
05/07
S​
1​
Reported without Legislative Bureau amendments. Read by title and passed to third reading and final passage.​
05/06
S​
17​
Read by title and referred to the Legislative Bureau.​
05/01
S​
30​
Rules suspended. Reported favorably.​
04/16
S​
4​
Read second time by title and referred to the Committee on Education.​
04/15
S​
3​
Received in the Senate. Read first time by title and placed on the Calendar for a second reading.​
04/10
H​
21​
Read third time by title, amended, roll called on final passage, yeas 82, nays 19. Finally passed, title adopted, ordered to the Senate.​
04/09
H​
Scheduled for floor debate on 04/10/2024.​
04/08
H​
6​
Read by title, ordered engrossed, passed to 3rd reading.​
04/04
H​
47​
Reported favorably (10-3).​
03/11
H​
11​
Read by title, under the rules, referred to the Committee on Education.​
02/09
H​
First appeared in the Interim Calendar on 2/9/2024.​
02/08
H​
Under the rules, provisionally referred to the Committee on Education.​
02/08
H​
Prefiled.​

P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It appears you need a drink.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Like it or not, posting one religion's "historic documents"
but no others is establishment. Moreover, the 10 Commandments
aren't history. They're religious commandments.

Requiring swearing an oath to God (the name
of the Christian god) is establishment. This
requires something dishonest of us heathens.
Or....we must put the court on notice that we're
not Christians by requesting a secular oath.
Been there & done that.
**** Christians who put me in this position that
risks adjudication influenced by religious prejudice.

Christians don't care about this
because it doesn't affect them.

The pledge had no Christian god in it until Christians
added it in the 50s. The original mottos were secular.
View attachment 93664
So what?