• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You forgot to include genocide against the Natives, justified because they are "godless heathens."
Me no forget.
I said "pogrom" & "Manifest Destiny".
Amd you can credit the Protestants with helping to create the Irish and Italian mafias given American Prots traditional hatred of Catholics. And don't forget the Klan.
More Christian history that they won't
admit to, or allow to be taught in schools.

Pogo

I wonder which Religion's version of the 10 commandments - catholic, orthodox, protestant, muslim, jewish, other?

Can a school make up its own 10 commandments and use that?
Now there is an idea, should this particular one be posted throughout the state if they do?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Me no forget.
I said "pogrom" & "Manifest Destiny".
Pogrom is more used when it comes to Jews. Saying "Manifest Dynasty" glosses over how bad that really was and is.
More Christian history that they won't
admit to, or allow to be taught in schools.
They won't. What has Christianity's contributions to America the teacher asks? Racism, systemic racism, slavery, domestic terrorism amd today they are giving pregnant women a hard time amd killing some while needlessly destroyong the fertility of others.
But our laws? Thank whatever gods that are, might be or however you want to ohrase it that American laws are not supposed to be based on such a bloodthirsty and repressive religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not according to the dictionary.
Definition of POGROM
: an organized massacre of helpless people
specifically such a massacre of Jews

I know. However, calling it such, saying it's a destiny, it downplays amd.glosses over the mass theft amd cruelty behind it.
You say "the" dictionary.
Are you aware that your source is merely one of many?
Moreover, you mis-represented the very link you provided.
Read the examples it provides, eg....
Modi was the chief minister of Gujarat in 2002, when anti-Muslim pogroms tore across the region, killing upward of a thousand people.—Maya Jasanoff, The New Yorker, 19 June 2024

If you're going to be a nitpicker,
be more careful about it.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I wonder which Religion's version of the 10 commandments - catholic, orthodox, protestant, muslim, jewish, other?

Can a school make up its own 10 commandments and use that?
They do all the time

Things like “Parents shalt not enter in school unless you get approved”.

Last edited:

anotherneil

They do all the time

Things like “Parents must check in before entering school”.
It sounds like you're saying that this law is unnecessary and pointless, but just out of curiosity I'd like to see the schools there try this & see if they can get away with it to circumvent the apparent intent of this law at religious imposition and scoffing at 1st Amendment separation of church and state.

Kenny

Premium Member
It sounds like you're saying that this law is unnecessary and pointless, but just out of curiosity I'd like to see the schools there try this & see if they can get away with it to circumvent the apparent intent of this law at religious imposition and scoffing at 1st Amendment separation of church and state.
And that is the question that the Supreme Court will hear. Is it an imposition or simply the historical display of the list of rules that influenced US Law.

Kenny

Premium Member
Construction started in 1932. Did you know the north wall Frieze also depicted Mohammad? Also only six through ten were displayed to keep things more secular.

They even got Napoleon up there!
And I think they can display that picture on the walls of schools too.

anotherneil

That argument does not fly if they do not legally require the pictures of others in Louisiana. Cherry picking just the Ten Commandments shows that they are favoring one religion over others.
From what I understand, the claim is that they want to require it because it supposedly has some US historical significance & relevance. I don't even know what this US historical significance & relevance is at all. I think it's BS. Even if it weren't, I wonder if they're also requiring something similar in the world history courses that are from non-Christian religions, such as Islam, Hinduism, or Shintoism that's analogous to the 10 commandments from the Bible.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
From what I understand, the claim is that they want to require it because it supposedly has some US historical significance & relevance. I don't even know what this US historical significance & relevance is at all. I think it's BS. Even if it weren't, I wonder if they're also requiring something similar in the world history courses that are from non-Christian religions, such as Islam, Hinduism, or Shintoism that's analogous to the 10 commandments from the Bible.

It seems clear to me that the only point of the law is to use the state government to endorse and promote a particular religious view. Those who sponsored the law are clearly quite radical in that regard. One of the coauthors, when asked what she would say to non-religious and minority religion families about their children being exposed to this blatant endorsement of her religious views, tried to squirm out of answering the question. Finally, her advice to the children of families that disagreed with her religious views: "Don't look at it." She was clearly contemptuous of anyone who did not buy into her religious convictions.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I’ve covered and cited the hundreds of times it was referenced in Supreme Court decisions.
Did you cite and cover the hundreds of times Shakespeare was quoted in USSC decisions?

Just one of many examples:

In fact it is quite common to quote Shakespeare, here is a link to an article that claims in the US he has been quoted at least 800 times in various US court decisions:

Does that mean it would be okay to demand that the famous soliloquy from Hamlet be posted on school walls?

Your argument fails rather badly as an excuse to abuse the First Amendment just because your side is the one that gets its moral (and immoral) beliefs posted.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’ve covered and cited the hundreds of times it was referenced in Supreme Court decisions.
A summary would be nice.
I ask because Christians tend to believe that
values they like originate from Christianity,
eg, don't murder (popular among most).
But many are not Christian values....they're
much older, more widely shared, & of a
different origin than Christians know.

I'd expect Christians to treat history as....
The good: From Christian belief in the Bible
The bad: From heathens, Satan, science

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If there is an application to US Law from another religion, I think it would have every right to be posted also. If there are Greek applications to US Law… post them. I don’t think erasing historical realities is an answer to anything. We shouldn’t erase the realities of historicity of slavery in the US and we shouldn’t erase reality that US Law used much of the 10 commandments aa a basis for law.
I've already pointed out to you that that claim doesn't really bear out in reality.

The first 4 commandments are just about how you're supposed to worship god and stroke his ego. We don't have any laws based on any of those.
Honouring your parents isn't a law anywhere that I know of.
There are no laws against coveting your neighbor's manservant and his oxen, that I'm aware of on the books.
Adultery isn't a crime here either.

So what are we left with from the Ten Commandments that would indicate it's the "basis for law?"
Don't murder and don't steal.

Wow, a grand total of 2 of them! And you want us to believe that these 10 commandments are the "basis for law?" How did you come to this conclusion, given that only two of the commandments show up anywhere in any of our laws?

Try giving me an actual answer instead of just trying to slough it off as "religiophobia."