• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
FB_IMG_1718864144347.jpg

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'm curious to know what this particular SCOTUS might do with it ─ on the face of it, it's just as illegal under the US Constitution as Kitzmiller v Dover.
That is the whole purpose of this bill.
It is simply to find out what SCOTUS will rule.

That is its main purpose.
That is pi**** a lot people off in the process is just an added bonus.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Guess what, that was before the Constitution as well.

You are aware that according to the authors of the 1st Amendment that it was written to provide a wall between church and state. If you go by original intent you cannot beat the testimony of the people that wrote it.
Are you aware that you are giving a modern interpretation that doesn’t match what it says?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
See, you are still not reasoning rationally. Tell me, was the first Amendment written before the Constitutional Convention?
I’m not sure you are reasoning with logic. Tell me, does Congress open with prayer? What happened to your modern interpretation of Separation of Church and State?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
How insecure are these people?
This is a sad day.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Are you aware that you are giving a modern interpretation that doesn’t match what it says?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.​
What is it that YOU think the non-modern interpretation is it is saying?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, based on what I know, my overall opinion of the US Constitution is highly positive, as is my opinion of the separation of powers in the US. I was just commenting on a specific type of viewpoint I've seen, where some people seem to put the Constitution on a pedestal and dismiss any suggestion that it may need to be further amended or modified in specific areas.
Oddly, I don't see that attitude at all. But neither
do I see any other governing body of law more
worthy of putting on a pedestal.
I do see disturbing things about it though....
- Christian Dominionists who want the Bible to supersede it.
- Democrats calling it a "living document" that can be altered
by congressional fiat.
- Supreme Court justices who twist it to pursue personal agenda.
- Republicans who often ignore it.
- Citizens who are largely unfamiliar with it.

I favor the slow & difficult process of amending it
according to the document itself. This lessens the
risk of momentary passions dominating.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is only one truth, one reality. That is an unpopular thing to say, I get that. Going for a very long hike now, I hope you have a wonderful day.
How should I determine which of the
thousands of religions has THE TRUTH?
Problem is that so very many claim it,
yet their reasons are so very foolish.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I just heard this on NPR and looked to see if anyone posted about it. Looks like we have seven pages worth of posts (most of which I didn't read), so I guess I'm late to the party.

A couple of thoughts on this. Take them for what they are...
  • Louisiana is a Bible Belt state, so something like this occurring is not surprising or unexpected.
  • No one is forcing you or your child to look at this and read it, let alone believe it.
  • If you don't live in Louisiana, how is this relevant to your day-to-day life? And before you say, "If it happens there, it can happen in my state," see my first bullet. If you live in one of the other nine Bible Belt states, yes, you have cause for concern. If you don't, then you've become outraged over something that doesn't affect you.
  • The ACLU and other civil rights group are already on this like white on rice.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member