• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

First Prayer of the Continental Congress, 1774​

The Prayer in the First Congress, A.D. 1774 The Prayer in the First Congress, A.D. 1774
O Lord our Heavenly Father, high and mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech Thee, on these our American States, who have fled to Thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent only on Thee. To Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give. Take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle!
Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst the people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. All this we ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.
Amen.
Reverend Jacob Duché
Rector of Christ Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
September 7, 1774, 9 o’clock a.m.
History matters enough to document. Freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and freedom of assembly separate from the larger operations of government ... This appears to be the motivating factor in the decision to require the display of certain historical documents that inevitably helped shape our nation.

McBell

Resident Apapatheist
I wonder what version of the ten commandments the schools are going to have to display.
The Ten Commandments
I AM the LORD thy God.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

This is the precise required wording as commanded by the Bill itself

Regiomontanus

Orthodox
The Ten Commandments
I AM the LORD thy God.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

This is the precise required wording as commanded by the Bill itself

Gee, imagine how awful the world would be if everyone followed those.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Two things come to mind with this for me:

First, it's going to be exciting for elementary school teachers to explain what "adultery" is to kids in these states that also have a lot of gag orders on talking about sex.

Second, it's going to be positively delightful to see how the kids vandalize these posters in creative and amusing ways in all the classrooms in the state. Or add their own posters, as they should.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Two things come to mind with this for me:

First, it's going to be exciting for elementary school teachers to explain what "adultery" is to kids in these states that also have a lot of gag orders on talking about sex.

Second, it's going to be positively delightful to see how the kids vandalize these posters in creative and amusing ways in all the classrooms in the state. Or add their own posters, as they should.

Exciting for whom? The kids, the teachers, or very imaginative outsiders who find the thought amusing.

Second: Positively delightful may be a stretch. I remember the creatively applied artistic symbology of my younger years and the renderings were anything but positive and delightful.

Do you happen to be the type who finds banana gestures positively delightful?

Maybe I was a heathen.

Nevermind

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

First Prayer of the Continental Congress, 1774​

The Prayer in the First Congress, A.D. 1774 The Prayer in the First Congress, A.D. 1774
O Lord our Heavenly Father, high and mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech Thee, on these our American States, who have fled to Thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent only on Thee. To Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give. Take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle!
Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst the people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. All this we ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.
Amen.
Reverend Jacob Duché
Rector of Christ Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
September 7, 1774, 9 o’clock a.m.

So what?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I wonder what version of the ten commandments the schools are going to have to display.
The ones that are no.brainers (if you have to be told not to kill you just aren't a good person), the ones that have got to go (honor thy mother and thy father needs a serious overhaul), and the ones that exist only to stroke and protect Jehovah's monstrous ego (I am thy lord thy god, thy shalt have no other gods before me).
No matter what version, that's the 10.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
I'm curious to know what this particular SCOTUS might do with it ─ on the face of it, it's just as illegal under the US Constitution as Kitzmiller v Dover.

Tomef

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!
Everything’s a meme these days.

RestlessSoul

Why do so many elevate a human document to, essentially, some form of scripture?

It’s not scripture, it’s law. Law has been shown by history to be mankind’s best defence against tyranny.

A country whose citizens have no respect for the law becomes a failed state. A country whose leaders have no respect for the law becomes an oligarchy.