• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do so many elevate a human document to, essentially, some form of scripture?

From what I can see, I think some people don't so much elevate constitutions to the status of divine documents as consider them to be mutual agreements with others in the same country no matter how much they disagree on various issues, so that there are rules for any disputes between them and a way to attain one's rights legally. If one side starts ignoring the document and trying to arbitrarily impose their views on others, there's no longer a mutually accepted resort to handle the dispute. It just becomes the law of the jungle.

I think the approach of promoting shared respect for a constitution is very reasonable in general, but where I think it goes awry is when a constitution has outdated, inequitable, or abusive laws and some people oppose changing or amending it, in which case such refusal does often strike me as a clear form of dogmatism, and an especially harmful variety of it at that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I actually agree that the US Constitution is "overrated" (at least by some who seem to put it on a pedestal), so to speak—mainly because the Second Amendment is a malignant anachronism at this point.

However, in a diverse and pluralistic society, I simply see no way for a constitution not to be secular if the state is to remain fair and equitable for all citizens and residents. What one person may regard as a religious truth may not be perceived as such by another, and vice versa. I'm pretty sure many of the same people who support state favoritism toward their religion wouldn't like it if another religion were favored over theirs by the state.

Theocracies are almost universally undesirable places to live for most religious minorities. Having lived in one myself for about two decades, I'm firmly of the opinion that officials like this governor are irresponsible fanatics who are either indifferent to others' rights or oblivious to just how damaging theocratically minded laws tend to be.
Our "overrated" Constitution is the bulwark
that prevents the many Christian dominionists
from sending us down the theocracy road.
As you can see, they try, try, try.

BTW, when I was in public elementary school,
Christian prayers were required. SCOTUS
ended that. And USA is less of a police state
today because of the Constitution. So you can
dislike the 2nd Amendment, but it is only one
of many important ones.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Name the document, and there is somebody who thinks it is divinely inspired.
OIP.sz1w1Iv5sZU7zuO8ZTnRggHaKb

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Our "overrated" Constitution is the bulwark
that prevents the many Christian dominionists
from sending us down the theocracy road.
As you can see, they try, try, try.

BTW, when I was in public elementary school,
Christian prayers were required. SCOTUS
ended that. And USA is less of a police state
today because of the Constitution. So you can
dislike the 2nd Amendment, but it is only one
of many important ones.

Yes, based on what I know, my overall opinion of the US Constitution is highly positive, as is my opinion of the separation of powers in the US. I was just commenting on a specific type of viewpoint I've seen, where some people seem to put the Constitution on a pedestal and dismiss any suggestion that it may need to be further amended or modified in specific areas.

Pogo

Aren't you curious? I know I am. I want to know what it looks like and what it says.
Not in the least and it is not even specified, IIRC it contains 5 commands to do something I don't believe at all and 5 so so platitudes that are derived from earlier traditions.
The so called golden rule seems a much better suggestion and doesn't carry the religious baggage

Regiomontanus

Orthodox
Yes, based on what I know, my overall opinion of the US Constitution is highly positive, as is my opinion of the separation of powers in the US. I was just commenting on a specific type of viewpoint I've seen, where some people seem to put the Constitution on a pedestal and dismiss any suggestion that it may need to be further amended or modified in specific areas.

In many ways, the current Constitution of South Africa is much superior (right to health care, etc.).