• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Argentbear

Is there historical value of Islam in the creation of the United States law? Hellooooo!
Do you think there were no Islamic people in the 13 colonies? Do you think Muslims didn't serve under Washington during the revolution? Washington, later America’s first president, didn’t have a problem with Muslims serving in his army. By giving these Muslims the honour of serving America, Washington made it clear that a person did not have to be of a certain religion or have a particular ethnic background to be an American patriot.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do you think there were no Islamic people in the 13 colonies? Do you think Muslims didn't serve under Washington during the revolution? Washington, later America’s first president, didn’t have a problem with Muslims serving in his army. By giving these Muslims the honour of serving America, Washington made it clear that a person did not have to be of a certain religion or have a particular ethnic background to be an American patriot.
Freedom OF Religion means that you can worship whoever you want to worship as God / gods or even yourself.

Argentbear

Freedom OF Religion means that you can worship whoever you want to worship as God / gods or even yourself.
The First Amendment has two provisions concerning religion: the establishment clause and the free exercise clause.. You keep posting about the free exercise clause while ignoring the establishment clause. The establishment clause prohibits the government from "establishing" a religion.
In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), the Supreme Court held that the establishment clause is one of the liberties protected by the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, making it applicable to state laws and local ordinances.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe the historical context is this:

John Jay > Quotes > Quotable Quote​

(?)
John Jay

“Providence has given to our people the choice of their ruler, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. John Jay First Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.”​

― John Jay, Cliffs Notes on The Federalist

Interesting that the original framers of the Constitution called it a Christian nation
John Jay was a proponent of centralized government and not surprising a governor of the now People's Republic of New York.

Herzlich

The overused “which God”.
Clearly, you appear to believe that your answers and statements are always correct. When you say God gave us inalienable rights, it is certainly logical to inquire which God? The US does not have a state theology classifying a particular God. This is NOT a Christian nation!! An official Muslim country, such as Saudi Arabia, does have such a basis. And, they would dispute an approach that "Allah" gave inalienable rights to Americans. My question, therefore, remains: To which "God" do you refer? The Hebrew God, the Christian God, the Hindu God, or another?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We are talking about posting the 10 commandments… no ‘push religion on everyone’
That IS pushing religion, much like a law that forces schools and teachers to display and discuss the Eightfold Path or the Five Pillars of Faith would be teaching religion. Where do you think the Decalogue comes from? The Oklahoma law takes it even to another level.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is the geographical location of the People's Republic? Clearly it is not within the United States. So where? Or are your political views framing a comment.
New York and it has a historically deep love affair and reputation with Marxism and Communism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Herzlich

Pogo

New York and it has a historically deep love affair and reputation with Marxism and Communism.

Look I have delivered meals courtesy of this communist government to your trailer at the end of your 3/4 mile pothole road or were you that ranter in subsidized housing. If not, maybe you should investigate the services available to you to improve your life.
We know you are unhappy, but we live in a democracy, you have the same rights to change it as the rest of us.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
TRUE STORY TIME, AND AN ASIDE NOTE:

First of all, I always wanted to go to Monticello, even before the whole Sally Hemings thing. I FINALLY WENT THERE a couple of years ago. It was super interesting. For instance, Jefferson never finished working on it - people would visit him and say things like "Sawdust was everywhere." I get that. I also revisited Mt. Vernon. At some point, I bought a super interesting book which actually compared the two HOUSES AND ESTATES, not the two men, which was a different take on things. Jefferson was widely regarded as a genius, and Washington was widely regarded as NOT a genius. However, Jefferson died so in debt that many of his slaves (don't get me started) had to be sold along with much of his estate. Washington did not die in any debt. In fact, he freed his slaves upon his wife's death (which I also found weird but oh well, it was the times I guess). However, he could not by law free any slaves his wife had inherited - they were considered "dower slaves." Anyway, his wife went ahead and freed them about two years after her husband's death (not the dower slaves, his slaves - the dower slaves were considered part of his wife's estate and needed to be passed down to her kids). Anyway, I just thought the whole comparison of the two estates was interesting. Oh, also, Mt Vernon is symmetrically laid out and I don't believe that Monticello is, which I also found to be interesting. I mean, Monticello LOOKS symmetrical but apparently it is not, while Mt. Vernon is.

A great place, imo. Whatta genius!