• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love

Wherenextcolumbus

That is a Jehovah's Witness teaching. Were you a JW Horrorble?

No, I was loosely raised with the beliefs and have attended their meetings several times. I never had a proper bible study as an adult only had them as a child. I never got baptised (thank goodness.) I like my freedom too much.

Meshak

You don't think that non-Christians can be altruistic? Sacrificial? What about Ghandi? Every single hero firefighter, police man, soldier, bystander etc were all Christians?

I think your belief does not conform to reality.

Christians have to think very hard what kind of occupation they choose. Everything we do should glorify God.

Jesus says He is the way. So I dont know how Jesus would judge who are not His followers.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Satan was tempting him so he would turn from God therefore he can become a fallen angel

To teach it is possible for Christ to fall is to teach it is possible for God to fall.

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

2 Corinthians 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Colossians 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

John 10:30 I and the Father are one.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Christians have to think very hard what kind of occupation they choose. Everything we do should glorify God.

Jesus says He is the way. So I dont know how Jesus would judge who are not His followers.

I don't deny that Christians can be self-sacrificing. I am denying your claim that non-Christians can't be self-sacrificing. It is a ridiculous, bigoted, and unrealistic claim.

Meshak

I don't deny that Christians can be self-sacrificing. I am denying your claim that non-Christians can't be self-sacrificing. It is a ridiculous, bigoted, and unrealistic claim.

Jesus says if you dont give up everything you have, you cannot be my disciple. Can you do that?

Does any society expect you to give up everything for others?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus says if you dont give up everything you have, you cannot be my disciple. Can you do that?

A Christian must be prepared to "give up everything" for the least one of Yehoshua's brothers trusting in God. We must learn to take the last place. I think the love and self sacrifice of the world is not like that. It is not the opposite either and he/she did not say that imo.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

How many Christians do that?

Do you think there has never been a non-Christian that hasn't given up everything for others?

There are many stories of people giving their lives to save other people. You can't give up more than that. Were all of those people Christians?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not in Jesus' way. I was of the world for a long time, and I know how their love works. It is so different. Jesus' love is sacrificial love. Jesus teaches us to live for others. Jesus teaches us unconditional love. But that does not mean we accommodate viscious behaviors at others expense.

Is this the offending post? I do not see how Meshak has made it black and white.

People of the world will make sacrifices, even die for another. I have never heard of these things done to offensive people. Christians must show love for haters. Worldly people do not do that.

People who are not Christian will love a "good" person. A Christian goes further, by loving "bad" people.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I believe we can eventually be able to love unconditionally.

Apophenia some time ago talked about a man he knew that was tortured horribly. Some people (i thi from a war? i am not sure) this person was an advance monk that meditated regularly, icompassion I believe. He says he talked about the issue witho spite towards his torturers and that he felt compassion towards them that were able to do such things, or something similar.

I find the story touching, and I do believe it.

I believe in love and I believe god has given us a capacity to love way beyond what we normally exercise.

May God bless all og us with a bigger heart to love ourselves and each other. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username

Do you think there has never been a non-Christian that hasn't given up everything for others?

There are many stories of people giving their lives to save other people. You can't give up more than that. Were all of those people Christians?

I do think yu can give more. There isore than one way to give a life. Yu can give your life by ending it so others may live. You can also give your life to others by being with them and helping em even beynd what you. "Can" and do ts day after day, till y die.

Some people that do charity work truly give their lifes in a different manner. Personally I believe this can be giving "more" depending on the perspective.

Though your point still stands, charity is given by people of all religions and lack of thereof.

I also think Jesus was very clear on what happens to those who give their lifes "he who lets go of his life will gain it"

Meshak

It does not matter. This is Jesus' requirement from His followers. Many, many true Christians did and still do. I dont believe they are in the mainstream churches.

Jesus' love requires total submission for others to love..

I know seculars standards do not require to give up everything you have.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
May God bless all og us with a bigger heart to love ourselves and each other.

:)

Everyone knows there is a limited amount of time that everybody has for sharing and showing love. Every non-Christian will find worthy people to love and they do. And they love their families. But Christians are on the lookout for "unworthy" people to love. There are no unworthy people really. The unworthy ones are those who are not loved by the world and are hungering for love. A Christian will give up his or her own preference to do God's preference.

Me Myself

Back to my username
It does not matter. This is Jesus' requirement from His followers. Many, many true Christians did and still do. I dont believe they are in the mainstream churches.

Jesus' love requires total submission for others to love..

They are not required to, but still many feel the compassion to do so and do it anyways

Those are more compassionate that those that do so expecting a heavenly reward IMHO, and Jesus will be more pleased with those who do good for goodness sake.

Me Myself

Back to my username
:)

Everyone knows there is a limited amount of time that everybody has for sharing and showing love. Every non-Christian will find worthy people to love and they do. And they love their families. But Christians are on the lookout for "unworthy" people to love. There are no unworthy people really. The unworthy ones are those who are not loved by the world and are hungering for love. A Christian will give up his or her own preference to do God's preference.

If that is your definition of Christian, then I know of a pair of atheist "christians" fitting that description.

Compassion is universal. As I was saying before, more than one buddhist fits the bill.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If that is your definition of Christian, then I know of a pair of atheist "christians" fitting that description.

Compassion is universal. As I was saying before, more than one buddhist fits the bill.

Good for you! Good for them! I do not know why everyone I have met on the internet believes that if something is said to be this it can't possibly be that too.:shrug:

I have met few people who will even do small kindnesses. Why? I do not know. And like I said, if your Buddhist friends got no thanks for their charity would they continue giving charity to the thankless one? I think not but, I can be wrong.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Is this the offending post? I do not see how Meshak has made it black and white.

People of the world will make sacrifices, even die for another. I have never heard of these things done to offensive people. Christians must show love for haters. Worldly people do not do that.

People who are not Christian will love a "good" person. A Christian goes further, by loving "bad" people.
So, you think that only Christians will do good things for "bad" people? This is no better than the other guy, and just as unrealistic.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

I'm not talking about standards. I'm talking about what people actually do. And unless you are being willfully blind, compassion and self-sacrifice are not limited to Christians. Christians don't even tend to do that better or more frequently than the rest of us.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, you think that only Christians will do good things for "bad" people? This is no better than the other guy, and just as unrealistic.

Well, my life is different than yours, isn't it? You insult me because I am sharing what I have learned about people. You do not like what I have seen. So I am "no better" than what? You? How much lower than you am I?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Good for you! Good for them! I do not know why everyone I have met on the internet believes that if something is said to be this it can't possibly be that too.:shrug:

I have met few people who will even do small kindnesses. Why? I do not know. And like I said, if your Buddhist friends got no thanks for their charity would they continue giving charity to the thankless one? I think not but, I can be wrong.

They are not personal buddhist friends, its just some buddhists that do. There are many.

The reason is that they practice meditation in compassion every day, because of this, they train themselves to feel universal compassion towards everyone.

I rutinely tell the truth even when I know it is going to make me unpopular , simply because i know that not doing so may hinder others chances to improve themselves. Thhe same people that will "hang" me for it. Its about principles.

Likewise, I do good for strangers and I dont really get mad if e dont thank me, it was my choice to help, I had no obligation.

Compassion is its own reward.