• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manafort found guilty on 8 of 18 counts.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
He has no immunity to civil law cases, but he has immunity from their consequences. That's why it's all irrelevant. Unless they can prove some sort of correlation that proves his acts endanger the entire country nothing happens.

Presidential Immunity | Encyclopedia.com

"Although Justice joseph story maintained a President was immune from criminal prosecution and imprisonment while discharging his duties, it is arguable that Clinton v. Jones sanctions any lawsuits, even criminal ones, based on a President's unofficial conduct. Moreover, no other federal officials, not even Vice Presidents, are immune while in office from criminal prosecution or imprisonment."

So, it's not that he cannot be convicted or tried or punished but that the punishments will be stayed and never take effect. Likewise, such a ruling makes a call for an impeachment vote but a removal from office in such a case is hard to get as Clinton found out. Impeachment is just another word for "charges", it is not a guilty or a conviction.
Your original assertion was that “Even if, by a stretch, something happens with the Stormy Daniels situation he'd be shielded from any sort of conviction by Presidential immunity“ so i am happy that you have now realized that to be incorrect.

I do not see anything in your above source that states that the punishments for a conviction must be stayed while the President is in office. I do not think the case law is settled yet. Note that Clinton payed the $850,000 settlement in the Jones case while still in office.

I do think it much more likely that if the President was tried and convicted— which you now acknowledge possible— he would be swiftly impeached, which makes the whole point moot.

Clinton was impeached by the House but not the Senate, hence why he was not removed. I suspect the Senate chose not to impeach since it was literally just a lie about a blow job. The issues Trump faces will likely be much more significant.

I am not sure why you think that charges, trials, and convictions would all be “irrelevant” since they would seriously damage the President and likely result in his impeachment; and any “immunity from consequences” he may or may not have, would expire in 2 years at the most. I’m sure Trump doesn’t consider such things “irrelevant”.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Trump filled the swamp - Muller is draining it.
Oh it was swampy before Trump. That’s partly what allowed Trump to occur. And Mueller, great as he may be, will not be enough to fully cleanse it all. I hope this is a huge wake up call to Americans. Ultimately we the people are the ones who must drain that swamp. Vote in the Midterms!

Shaul

Premium Member
39616869_2268292449930463_8835979146535370752_n.jpg
What’s a “depupty”?