• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mary mother of God

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I feel very sorry for you. You really need to think long and hard about your view of God's word. There is nothing further I can say to you that would matter, so I'll just shake the dust off my feet and move on. I pray to our Father in heaven that you open your heart before it is ever too late. I wish you the best.

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed.

In my debating experience, veiled reminders of my possible suboptimal destiny in the afterlife, are clear indications that I won the debate. :)

Ciao

- viole

Domenic

The Dead Sea scrolls are from God? You know that? Which bibles match the Dead Sea scrolls?

No Bible matches the Dead Sea Scrolls 100%. Each religion has made some changes to match their own religion.
Men have changed Gods word...that makes them a false religion. A Christian will follow only those scriptures in the Bible that match the scrolls. To do otherwise is following man, not God.
This is not saying people who follow a religion are bad people. When you stand before God, you can not say, "No one told me." I told you. If you don't check your Bible against the scrolls, you are following the teaching of man. God will tell you, "You were told."

Domenic

I read many comments that warn, "If you don't believe this way, or that, you will not be in Gods Kingdom." That is not true. All who have not died at a judgment such as, reject Jesus when he retuns, the flood, Sodom etc, will be in the Kingdom, and given 1,000 years to build a heart condition that will give everlasting life on earth. God dos not want any to die. Still at the end of the 1,000 year rule of Jesus, many will fight against Gods people, and these will die.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
No Bible matches the Dead Sea Scrolls 100%. Each religion has made some changes to match their own religion.

You seem to be laboring under the mistaken assumption that within the Dead Sea Scrolls are complete versions of the Tanakh, Jewish scripture, what you would call the Old Testament.

Domenic

You seem to be laboring under the mistaken assumption that within the Dead Sea Scrolls are complete versions of the Tanakh, Jewish scripture, what you would call the Old Testament.

You are under the assumption I call them the Old testament. I call them the Hebrew Scriptures. They have not translated all of the Dead Scrolls as of yet, but those they mave match the scrolls the Bible was taken from, and the scrolls the Bible was taken from, does not match the Bible 100%.
Are you from the tibe of Judah, or one of the other eleven?

Unification

You are under the assumption I call them the Old testament. I call them the Hebrew Scriptures. They have not translated all of the Dead Scrolls as of yet, but those they mave match the scrolls the Bible was taken from, and the scrolls the Bible was taken from, does not match the Bible 100%.

The scriptures, nor any bible give life.

kepha31

Required? You say they're not, but all practicing catholics say the rosary and worship Mary. When you pray to or petition Mary, you are worshiping her. Prayer is worship.

Where in the Bible is Mary called Mother of God? Where in the Bible are their statues of Mary or saints? Where in the Bible are Novenas to Mary? Where in the Bible are you told to pray the rosary?

The catholic religion is about Mary. Catholics have made Mary into a goddess. Look at the ratio of Hail Mary's there are to the Lord's prayer (10-1). How sad is that! Not to mention idolatrous! What a slap in the face to our Savior who gave His life in the most cruel way so that we may have life.
Please tone down the hate speech. The charge of "Mary worship" is
based on ignorance and prejudice and the reason for it is just to insult Catholics. Not all prayer is worship.

"...In Scripture, the term "worship" was similarly broad in meaning, but in the early Christian centuries, theologians began to differentiate between different types of honor in order to make more clear which is due to God and which is not.

As the terminology of Christian theology developed, the Greek term latria came to be used to refer to the honor that is due to God alone, and the term dulia came to refer to the honor that is due to human beings, especially those who lived and died in God’s friendship—in other words, the saints. Scripture indicates that honor is due to these individuals (Matt. 10:41b). A special term was coined to refer to the special honor given to the Virgin Mary, who bore Jesus—God in the flesh—in her womb. This term, hyperdulia (hyper [more than]+ dulia = "beyond dulia"), indicates that the honor due to her as Christ’s own Mother is more than the dulia given to other saints. It is greater in degree, but still of the same kind. However, since Mary is a finite creature, the honor she is due is fundamentally different in kind from the latria owed to the infinite Creator.

All of these terms—latria, dulia, hyperdulia—used to be lumped under the one English word "worship." Sometimes when one reads old books discussing the subject of how particular persons are to be honored, they will qualify the word "worship" by referring to "the worship of latria" or "the worship of dulia." To contemporaries and to those not familiar with the history of these terms, however, this is too confusing.

Another attempt to make clear the difference between the honor due to God and that due to humans has been to use the words adore and adoration to describe the total, consuming reverence due to God and the terms venerate, veneration, and honor to refer to the respect due humans. Thus, Catholics sometimes say, "We adore God but we honor his saints."

Unfortunately, many non-Catholics have been so schooled in hostility toward the Church that they appear unable or unwilling to recognize these distinctions.
They confidently (often arrogantly) assert that Catholics "worship" Mary and the saints, and, in so doing, commit idolatry. This is patently false, of course, but the education in anti-Catholic prejudice is so strong that one must patiently explain that Catholics do not worship anyone but God—at least given the contemporary use of the term. The Church is very strict about the fact that latria, adoration—what contemporary English speakers call "worship"—is to be given only to God..."
Saint Worship? | Catholic Answers

Where in the Bible is Mary called Mother of God? Where in the Bible are their statues of Mary or saints? Where in the Bible are Novenas to Mary? Where in the Bible are you told to pray the rosary?
Where in the Bible does it say every Christian practice must be explicitly found in the Bible? Chapter and verse, please.
"don't go beyond what is written" is not a command to read the Bible the same way a Muslim reads the Qu'ran.

Wharton

Required? You say they're not, but all practicing catholics say the rosary and worship Mary. When you pray to or petition Mary, you are worshiping her. Prayer is worship.

The catholic religion is about Mary. Catholics have made Mary into a goddess. Look at the ratio of Hail Mary's there are to the Lord's prayer (10-1). How sad is that! Not to mention idolatrous! What a slap in the face to our Savior who gave His life in the most cruel way so that we may have life.
Where do you get the idea that All practicing Catholics say the rosary and worship Mary? 1) Not all Catholics say the rosary. 2) Worship of Mary is forbidden. It's not going to happen.

Asking someone to pray for you is not worship. For some reason, non-Catholics and non-Orthodox have no problem asking for prayers from people on earth but they neglect the communion of saints in heaven. That's your loss of a very effective prayer resource. And that's sad.

Where in the bible is the Godhead called the Trinity? Yet you were able to infer your belief in the Trinity from what's in the bible but you can't do that with Mary. Unfortunately, most Protestants kick Mary to the curb not realizing that without her there is no redemption.

Regarding the rosary, it is a meditation device. It's not just blind repetition of prayers. While you say the prayers. you're supposed to be meditating on the appropriate daily mysteries which are events in Christ's life. The rosary is a tool that points you to Jesus. Mary as always, points you to Jesus.

Let me help you as to what's required to be Catholic.

1) Be baptized.
2) Worship once a week and on holy days of obligation. Today is Ash Wednesday. There is no requirement to go to church and receive ashes. There is no requirement to go to church on Good Friday. Jesus went to the synagogue once a week and on holy days. Catholics follow that example.
3)Go to confession once a year. Jesus kept the Day of Atonement.
4)Receive communion once a year just as Jesus kept Passover once a year.

There you go.

Domenic

Please tone down the hate speech. The charge of "Mary worship" is
based on ignorance and prejudice and the reason for it is just to insult Catholics. Not all prayer is worship.

"...In Scripture, the term "worship" was similarly broad in meaning, but in the early Christian centuries, theologians began to differentiate between different types of honor in order to make more clear which is due to God and which is not.

As the terminology of Christian theology developed, the Greek term latria came to be used to refer to the honor that is due to God alone, and the term dulia came to refer to the honor that is due to human beings, especially those who lived and died in God’s friendship—in other words, the saints. Scripture indicates that honor is due to these individuals (Matt. 10:41b). A special term was coined to refer to the special honor given to the Virgin Mary, who bore Jesus—God in the flesh—in her womb. This term, hyperdulia (hyper [more than]+ dulia = "beyond dulia"), indicates that the honor due to her as Christ’s own Mother is more than the dulia given to other saints. It is greater in degree, but still of the same kind. However, since Mary is a finite creature, the honor she is due is fundamentally different in kind from the latria owed to the infinite Creator.

All of these terms—latria, dulia, hyperdulia—used to be lumped under the one English word "worship." Sometimes when one reads old books discussing the subject of how particular persons are to be honored, they will qualify the word "worship" by referring to "the worship of latria" or "the worship of dulia." To contemporaries and to those not familiar with the history of these terms, however, this is too confusing.

Another attempt to make clear the difference between the honor due to God and that due to humans has been to use the words adore and adoration to describe the total, consuming reverence due to God and the terms venerate, veneration, and honor to refer to the respect due humans. Thus, Catholics sometimes say, "We adore God but we honor his saints."

Unfortunately, many non-Catholics have been so schooled in hostility toward the Church that they appear unable or unwilling to recognize these distinctions.
They confidently (often arrogantly) assert that Catholics "worship" Mary and the saints, and, in so doing, commit idolatry. This is patently false, of course, but the education in anti-Catholic prejudice is so strong that one must patiently explain that Catholics do not worship anyone but God—at least given the contemporary use of the term. The Church is very strict about the fact that latria, adoration—what contemporary English speakers call "worship"—is to be given only to God..."
Saint Worship? | Catholic Answers

Where in the Bible does it say every Christian practice must be explicitly found in the Bible? Chapter and verse, please.
"don't go beyond what is written" is not a command to read the Bible the same way a Muslim reads the Qu'ran.

Man made saints don't count with God. And yes if you pray to any but God through Jesus, you are following man, not God. Jesus said, "Do not pray to me, but to the father through me."

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

As to your question, why do you ask?

As to your first comment, you are aware, I assume that the DSS has, for example, more than one version of Jeremiah.

Domenic

Where do you get the idea that All practicing Catholics say the rosary and worship Mary? 1) Not all Catholics say the rosary. 2) Worship of Mary is forbidden. It's not going to happen.

Asking someone to pray for you is not worship. For some reason, non-Catholics and non-Orthodox have no problem asking for prayers from people on earth but they neglect the communion of saints in heaven. That's your loss of a very effective prayer resource. And that's sad.

Where in the bible is the Godhead called the Trinity? Yet you were able to infer your belief in the Trinity from what's in the bible but you can't do that with Mary. Unfortunately, most Protestants kick Mary to the curb not realizing that without her there is no redemption.

Regarding the rosary, it is a meditation device. It's not just blind repetition of prayers. While you say the prayers. you're supposed to be meditating on the appropriate daily mysteries which are events in Christ's life. The rosary is a tool that points you to Jesus. Mary as always, points you to Jesus.

Let me help you as to what's required to be Catholic.

1) Be baptized.
2) Worship once a week and on holy days of obligation. Today is Ash Wednesday. There is no requirement to go to church and receive ashes. There is no requirement to go to church on Good Friday. Jesus went to the synagogue once a week and on holy days. Catholics follow that example.

There you go.

Catholics baptize babies, who have no say in the matter.
Here is a hint of why that is wrong:
When Jesus was on earth, the age of adilthood was 30 years old.
Jesus was baptized when he was 30. The person who is baptized is saying, I am a servant of God...A baby can't do that. Are we not to follow in Jesus foot steps? And because man has made the age of an adult 18, does not make it so.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
I hope you are right and they don't all pray to Mary.

Petitioning Mary or saints for anything is prayer, and prayer is worship. I direct all of my prayers to my heavenly Father through Jesus. He and He alone answers prayers. There is nothing He is not able to do. His He is all I need. There is not a single example of Mary or a saint being petitioned in the Bible. You reject the word of God in favor of catholic teachings.

Trinity is not in the Bible, and I do not normally use the word unless it is the topic of discussion. I was able to infer my belief in the Godhead. It's very easy to see, even in the Old Testament.

No redemption without Mary? You are joking right? Jesus is the one who died on the cross, and you credit Mary with redemption.
My foot! You say ten Hail Mary's to one Our Father. Jesus isn't even mentioned. You're fooling yourself and no one else.

1) Be baptized.

1. You don't baptize. You sprinkle. Baptizo is the Greek word for IMMERSE. Catholics ignore Jesus' example.

2. There is no such thing as Holy Days of Obligation in the Bible. The RCC is binding rules on people where there are none. When did the apostles observe Ash Wednesday? Your entire religion is man made. You need to get back to the Bible and the New Testament church Jesus built.

3. We are to confess our sins to one another, not a priest. The Priesthood was done away with when Jesus died on the cross. All christians are priests. Jesus is our high priest.

4. The 1st Century church shared communion on the first day of the week, and probably daily, not once a year. And all christians took the bread and wine. Catholics didn't take the wine until abt. 1970. They took only the bread. Jesus commanded we remember Him by taking BOT the bread and wine, not just bread.

Why has the catholic church drifted so far from the church Jesus built?

Wharton

Catholics baptize babies, who have no say in the matter.
Here is a hint of why that is wrong:
When Jesus was on earth, the age of adilthood was 30 years old.
Jesus was baptized when he was 30. The person who is baptized is saying, I am a servant of God...A baby can't do that. Are we not to follow in Jesus foot steps? And because man has made the age of an adult 18, does not make it so.
Jesus had no need for baptism. He was confirmed by John as a teacher with authority at 30. You need to be 30. It has nothing to do with the acceptable age for baptism.

Wharton

1. You don't baptize. You sprinkle. Baptizo is the Greek word for IMMERSE. Catholics ignore Jesus' example
You ignore scripture. Paul baptized the jailer in his house. Peter baptized Cornelius and family in his house. Paul was told to RISE and be baptized. Where is all of this deep water located in a house for immersion?

BTW, Catholics pour not sprinkle.