• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mary mother of God

Dude, you’re cracking me up here…people here, tell me I am not the only one who sees the irony in this interpretation.

Okay...serious here…so to me, you are saying, in your bible interpretation tradition, the context of this verse is meant to be understood numerologically, i.e., based on God symbols (aka semiology…you a Dan Brown fan perchance?). Why is this verse interpreted numerologically? And, Does that numerological interpretation hold true for all of, say, Revelations…in that all of Revelations should be understood by God symbols? Because, if so, what does the symbol 144,000 (from Rev. 14) mean in God semiology?

Read post #280

kepha31

There is a way around it.You are incorrect.How are they praying if they are right there with God at His throne?

Isaiah 6:1, 2
6 In the year that King Uz·zi′ah died, I saw Jehovah sitting on a lofty and elevated throne,and the skirts of his robe filled the temple. 2 Seraphs were standing above him; each had six wings. Each covered his face with two and covered his feet with two, and each of them would fly about with two.

Now read the passage you use as a reference Revelation 4:8.

As for the four living creatures, each one of them had six wings; they were full of eyes all around and underneath.And continuously, day and night, they say: “Holy, holy, holy is Jehovah God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is coming.”

So these angels are present with God beside His throne saying Holy Holy Holy,three times to emphasize God's power and holiness like I mentioned before.The evidence is all here for anyone to look at.All one has to do is read and study it thoroughly.

Your understanding of this passage is incorrect.These Seraphs saying holy holy holy three times does not back up your own interpretation of what Rev 4:8 means.It has absolutely nothing at all to do with prayer.So your repetition theory is rendered null and void.
So the angels are not praying to God because He is with them and they are saying the same thing day and night without being repetitive...gotcha. :rolleyes:

Wharton

So the angels are not praying to God because He is with them and they are saying the same thing day and night without being repetitive...gotcha. :rolleyes:
If you really want to bug him out just imply that they are worshiping each person of the trinity by saying holy, holy, holy. Hey, holy is holy. You don't need to say it three times for one person, right? It doesn't make God holier. LOL

BTW, if they followed scripture, as they say they do, then they would follow Paul's words.

Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

9 Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings.

Their strange teaching is that Jesus was Michael the archangel in his pre-existence yesterday. Then back to Michael in heaven today, then coming back as Michael in the future. Figure that one out.

kepha31

I'm so glad I was able to make you laugh.They say that laughing is good for you and very healthy.It also burns calories.Your welcome.:D

Ok now.As to what you stated,there is much that needs to be learned about God's symbolic language and what numbers mean in the Holy Scriptures....(...message truncated...)

Number, Numeral — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
Interesting post. This is just my observation, but there were about 120 at Pentacost in the book of Acts. 12 X 10, symbolic of the whole Church in every age, following your number meanings. It's also interesting that of all the names listed, Mary is the only woman mentioned by name among all the others.

Acts 1:12 they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away. 13 the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. 14 with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers. 15 In those days Peter stood up among jthe brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said..."

HEY! How did she get in there? It must be a Jesuit conspiracyo_O

Domenic

To those who do not believe in God, or his son Jesus:
If there is no God, and his son Jesus is a fairy tail, then you are wasting your time talking about them., and should go on with your life. On the other hand, if they are real, your mocking them will not go unheard. God will not just put your mocking aside. One day you will fall into the hands of a living God…not a good position.
You keep saying, “Christians can not prove there is a God.” It is you who can not prove there is not a God. I would suggest if you do not believe in God, it would be best to remain silent.
Here is what God says of himself: “Jehovah is a Killer and a giver of life. A bringer down to Sheol, and He brings up.” 1 Samuel 2:6
It is a fool who makes a joke of him.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The bold and not separating with quotes makes this very hard to understand.

--
rcc

CARLITA said:

Again, you are splitting Jesus' nature.
Do you believe Jesus is both human and spirit?
Do you believe Jesus is God?
Do you believe in the trinity--God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit?
KJV replies: Three no's: (What do you mean by that?)
Carlita:
If you do, you should at least understand what I am saying.

Unfortunately, I am not so far.
KJV replies: Understanding = (Prov 9:9 KJV) Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

(Prov 9:10 KJV) The fear of YHWH-YaH is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

(2 Tim 3:15 KJV) And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

What does this have to do with my saying you are splitting Christ in half?
Carlita said:
To many Christians, Jesus is ONE person with two distinct natures. He is one of Spirit (the Spirit of Christ that indwells in your heart) Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." The Spirit of Christ fills your heart as a Christian. Without His Spirit through His resurrection, how are you, kjv4me2you, saved? (if you are Christian)
KJV replies:
I am saved by faith the faith of Christ. (Gal 2:16 KJV) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I don't see how this above relates to Jesus being God in the flesh and God in the Spirit.

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God and I do not see " two natures" mentioned in Holy Scripture. Can you find any scripture where Jesus said to his apostles I have something to tell you I ( Jesus) have two natures but he never taught that doctrine nor did the spirit of truth who revealed to the apostles all Jesus every said to them and he never said to them I have two natures.

Let me ask you again, do you believe that Jesus is God? Do you believe in the trinity?

(John 14:26 KJV) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

(John 15:26 KJV) But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

(John 16:13 KJV) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

Again, I don't see how this relates to Jesus not having two natures. One of flesh the other spirit.

THE RCC COUNCIL OF CHALCEDON 451 AD AND THEIR TWO NATURES

The organization known as the roman catholic church did exist in 451 AD and the two natures doctrine came out of the rcc council of Chalcedon 451 AD. The Council of Chalcedon was the rcc church of Rome council held from October 8 to November 1, AD 451, at Chalcedon (a city of Bithynia in Asia Minor), on the Asian side of the Bosporus,in Istanbul, although it was then separate from Constantinople.

Two natures mean that you are both flesh and spirit. Are you saying the Roman Catholic Church made up that you have a spirit? Are you only flesh?

The rcc church is not the church of Rome mentioned in the epistle to the Romans nor is any church today one of the churches in scripture just because they use a name of a church in scripture.
I doubt anything is exactly the same as it was back when. The Vatican two add a lot of things many Catholics are uncomfortable with. These facts you are giving me about Church History is not in the catechism--what the Church teaches. This is what we were originally discussing.. the role of Mary and worship. You have not replied to any of the Church teachings I gave you on that. Not even a rebuttal. Why is that?

The church of Rome mentioned in the Bible was a Gentile church (Rom 1:13 KJV) Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

(Rom 1:14 KJV) I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

(Rom 1:15 KJV) So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

The church of Rome no longer existed in 96 AD as a word of God believing church and was not even mentioned by the apostle John in the epistle of Revelation that he was told to write to the seven churches. God removed the candlestick from the church of Rome and many other churches for not staying true to the word of God. It seems to me that the rcc Roman church along with many other churches do not know that its candlestick has been removed.

Again, how does that have to do with all of us having two natures--both in spirit and in flesh?

THE TWO NATURE TEACHING-DOCTRINE OF RCC
The two natures TEACHING did not come from YHWH-YaH or from Jesus the son of Mary who was anointed with the spirit Son Christ making Jesus, that Christ, that Messiah as a Jew out of the tribe of Juda. When the anointing-Christ was upon or with the nation Israel that is when YHWH-YaH told Pharaoh that Israel was His firstborn Son ( Exo 4:22) and when the anointing-Christ came upon Jesus a Jew, out of Juda, the son of Mary,it was then that YHWH-YaH told Israel that Jesus was His beloved Son.

So what are you? Flesh or spirit?

(Exo 4:22 KJV) And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
(Mat 3:17 KJV) And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Another unrelated verse?

Nationally Israel as the firstborn Son of YHWH-YaH searched by the spirit of Christ in them what, or what manner of time would the sufferings of Christ ocurr. Israel knew that a Jew would be anointed by YHWH-YaH with the spirit Son Christ but what Israel did not know was that ( Israel) would need to be born again by the Spirit Son Christ, so that Israel would become, that which was flesh as the firstborn Son of God ( Exo 4:22) would be born becoming Israel born again as spirit by the Spirit, known as the Israel of Elohim (Gal 4:16).

Notice Christ has a Spirit. If He had not two natures, there'd be no "Spirit of Christ." Only a body would sit at the right hand of the Father.

Those Hebrews who were and who now can still be born again of the
Spirit Son Christ can still YHWH-YaH as their Abba Father their Father of spirits

(1 Pet 1:11 KJV) Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

(Gal 6:16 KJV) And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Once the fullness of the
spirit Son Christ was upon Jesusthen Mary's son Jesus was born a again Jew out of Juda. Israel the firstborn son of YaH had to be born again by the spirit Son Christ and that would happen for those Jews-Hebrews who confess that Jesus is that Christ.

Another question. You cannot be born again without Christ's Spirit. If Christ had not two natures, how can you be born again from Christ's flesh?

THIS JESUS IS WHOM I PREACH IS CHRIST.

The apostle Paul is clear (Acts 17:3 KJV) Opening and alleging, that the spirit Son Christ- (the anointing- the Messias) must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ-the Messiah.

Jesus was anointed in (Luke 3:22 KJV) And the Holy Ghost- (4154-the spirit Son Christ) descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him ( Jesus) , and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Jesus was not called the beloved Son of God until after he was anointed by God with the spirit Christ

So, Jesus was purely human before He was anointed? He was not perfect? He did not have the Spirit of His Father when He was ministering when He was a child?

(Luke 1:30 KJV) And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

(Luke 1:31 KJV) And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

Good verses to show Mary had some importance in God's life.
(Luke 1:32 KJV) He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

(Luke 1:33 KJV) And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Jesus the son of Mary was anointed in Luke 3:22 when he was about 30 years of age this is fulfilled

(Luke 3:23 KJV) And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

YHWH told John the Baptist that he would know who in Israel was going to be the anointed-the Christ the one with the Spirit of YaH upon him when John Baptist saw the spirit Son Christ descended in a bodily shape LIKE a dove.

(John 1:33 KJV) And I knew him not: but he ( YHWH-YaH) that sent me to baptize with water, the same ( YaH) said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit ( Son ) Christ descending, and remaining on him, the same (him) is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Baptize with Holy Ghost-anointed by the spirit Son Christ to be born again by the Spirit Son Christ. Israel the firstborn national Son of YHWH-YaH had to be born again of the Spirit of Christ because that which is spirit is spirit and that which is flesh is flesh. (John 3:6 KJV) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John the Baptist was a greater prophet than even the prophet Jesus (Luke 7:28 KJV) For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

JESUS WAS THE PROPHET OF DEUT 18:18 AS STATED BY PETER (Acts 3:23 KJV) And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

(Deu 18:18 KJV) I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Jesus was made of a woman as a mortal whereas the spirit Son Christ was not made of a woman.

(Luke 7:28 KJV) For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

(Gal 4:4 KJV) But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

(John 3:5 KJV) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(John 3:6 KJV) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

(John 3:7 KJV) Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Carlita said:
Jesus is also human. 1 John 4:2 "By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:"

YHWH sent His spirit Son Christ the anointing

He is ONE person with two natures.

Mary is the Mother of that ONE person--that ONE person is Christ.

KJV replies:

TRULY, truly, again, again I say unto you.FMary is not the mother of spirits nor the mother of the spirit of Jesus. It is YaH and ONLY YAH who Father's spirits. (Heb 12:9 KJV) Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Jesus the son of Mary as a Jew out of Juda who was made mortal by the mortal woman Mary but the spirit of Jesus was Fathered by God-YHWH-YaH.

The spirit Christ was birthed by YHWH-YaH as His spirit Son who was and who still is of the bosom of God as I said before Mary did not and does not Father spirits nor the spirit Son Christ. The spirit Son Christ was born of God before Jesus the son of Mary was made of a woman.

Believing Israel was the earthly Son of YaH ( Exo 4:22) up until Jesus the Son of Mary was made of the woman Mary as that seed of Eve in Gen 3:15.

(Luke 23:46 KJV) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Jesus commended his spirit to WHO? Not to Mary but to His Father and God who is the Father of his spirit who Father's the born again spirits of all believers.

(Gal 4:6 KJV) And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Notice not crying mother Mary but rather a born again spirit knows it's Father and God

carlita said:
BOTH His Spirit and His human side. They are not separate. If they were, Jesus would have a sinful nature. Since He is perfect, both flesh and spirit go together, die together and resurrected together.

Mary is the Mother of Jesus--BOTH His spirit and his human side because that makes up who He is. (Using "is" to mean singular).

So Mary is the Mother of God the Son. and not God the Father.

You are talking about God the Father, I am talking about God the Son.

Just as my parent is not just the parent of Carlita the human, she is also a parent of Carlita the spirit. Both spirit and flesh is who I am--my nature.

You cannot split Christ in half.

KJV replies:
And you cannot make YHWH-YaH Israel's ONE YaH to be three gods in one.
(Deu 6:4 KJV) Hear, O Israel: YHWH-pronounced YaH our Elohim-God is one YHWH-YaH:

Of course Jesus a Jew agrees with scripture. Do you agree Carlita with Jesus ? (Mark 12:29 KJV) And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; YHWH-YaH our God is one YHWH-YaH.

(Rev 21:22 KJV) And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

(Rev 21:22 KJV) And I saw no temple therein: for YHWH ELOHIM SHADDAI and the Lamb are the temple of it.

Revelation 3:21 is seen ONE time in scripture and I believe it is because it is shows us the ONE name of YHWH-YaH and HIS title ELOHIM SHADDAI all together.

(John 14:23 KJV) Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Jesus was the lamb of God he was not God the lamb. No scripture declares Jesus as YHWH ELOHIM SHADDAI.

JESUS THE LAMB OF GOD SAID THE FATHER WAS HIS GOD
Jesus said the Father was his God. (John 20:17 KJV) Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

The reason Jesus said "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." was because of Israel's relationship as the firstborn Son if God.

(Exo 4:22 KJV) And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

carlita said:
Also, the verses I gave you about what the Church says about Mary, you have not replied. I have to use the Catechism becuase those are the teachings of the Church and without them, I cannot show you in comparison with the Bible how the two relate to each other. If you cannot reply to the reasons and prove I give you about Church teachings, then how are you going to have a debate if you don't know the otherside to prepare for a rebuttal?

God...was in the food they ate, in the water they drank, in the air they breathed, in the earth they trod and died on, in the words they spoke, in the sleep they slept, and in the dreams they dreamt in the everywhere and everything. ~Albert Wendt Some Pacific cultures don't even have a name for God because God is already assumed. God is so present that there is no need for a term because God is life itself. ~Anne Wilson Schaef

KJV replies:
I did reply to: God...was in the food they ate, in the water they drank, in the air they breathed, in the earth they trod and died on, in the words they spoke, in the sleep they slept, and in the dreams they dreamt in the everywhere and everything. ~Albert Wendt Some Pacific cultures don't even have a name for God because God is already assumed. God is so present that there is no need for a term because God is life itself. ~Anne Wilson Schaef
I think I said that it was not sound scripture doctrine and that it sounded like Bahi religion and I now add New Age religion also.

If this is not a rebuttal what is? I may have missed something in my rebuttal but I do know the otherside well enough to rebuke it scripturally?

willyah

I won't go through the whole thing. I just know that we all have to natures, one of spirit and one of flesh. The RCC did not create that idea or fact of my two natures. The theology that Jesus has two natures, as you shown, started from the RCC. However, He always had a spirit and body since birth as with everyone else.

Last edited:

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I am so sorry about that post...I do not know what is going on with the quotes and have repeatedly tried to edit them out...so I am going to try a repost

Last edited:

chlotilde

Madame Curie
Katiemygirl’s words are in red ,mine are in black

Sorry I couldn't spend much time posting yesterday. I'll try to keep this post short. Like you, I hate reading long posts.

I am the last person you need to apologize too! I am an infrequent poster here as it is, and disappear for months on end (which as soon as we are through I will do because it is Lent and my attentions need to be focused elsewhere). And…hence my religious title Roamin’ Catholic……(cuz I am punny like that)

Practicing sola Scripture has been done since the church began. Martin Luther was not the originator. Jesus was, followed by His apostles.

I’d believe that if Jesus said here, take these books and follow them because that is all you need. But that is not in the Bible…Because if the Scriptures at the time of Paul’s teachings were sufficient then we don’t need most of the books of the NT (they didn't exist when Paul was preaching). Whatever it was Paul was teaching, it was not, do not add to scripture, because his teachings and the Holy Spirit inspired over 100 others to write books about Jesus, including the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It makes Jesus more prolific in his time than Julius Caesar, don’t you think? (today, that number could be different…if anything, JFK outranks even Julius Caesar in the area of being written about)

Do those extra books in the catholic Bible tell us anything we must know in regards to salvation and christian living? I've never read them, so I don't know.

Several of them are Wisdom books, a few Prophetic…I haven’t read them in their entirety, except for Baruch because of a funny story from my brother, who had a comp/sci professor mention it in class, so I read it to see what the Prof was talking about. (and this was at a secular University) There is one little story I like though. In John 10:22, Jesus is celebrating a party…but you wouldn’t know the context of that party without the book of Maccabees. Today, we call it Hannukah. Jesus celebrated Hannukah…who knew?! But makes sense because he was Jewish. Do you celebrate Hannukah like Jesus did?

(editting to add here...I only asked that question because I don't know if your idea of Christian living would include celebrating the same things that Jesus celebrated.)

Did you know that the word "tradition" appears in the NT 14 times? All but three are derogatory. I woukd like to discuss this further with you

Hey, it only has to appear once in the Bible for me to believe it, because from Tradition, that collection of books we call the NT were assembled, (from those many 100+ that were written).

there are times I kneel, and bow my head.

Be careful then, but be strong in your beliefs, because someone might see you and say you are worshipping whatever is below you like the Bible, or the ground, or a piece of carpet,,,, because as you know, there are people out there who judge others by what they think they see, and not by what is in someone’s heart.

Last edited:

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I'm so glad I was able to make you laugh.They say that laughing is good for you and very healthy.It also burns calories.Your welcome.:D
<snip>

Multiples of 12 are also sometimes significant. David established 24 divisions of the priesthood to serve by turn in the temple later built by Solomon. (1Ch 24:1-18) This assists in identifying the “twenty-four elders” who were seated round about God’s throne in white outer garments and who were wearing crowns. (Re 4:4) The footstep followers of Jesus Christ, his spiritual brothers, are promised kingship and priesthood with him in the heavens. These elders could not be only the apostles, who numbered just 12. They therefore evidently represent the entire body of the “royal priesthood,” the 144,000 (as represented in the 24 priestly divisions serving at the temple) in their positions in the heavens, as crowned kings and priests.—1Pe 2:9; Re 7:4-8; 20:6.
ahhh, would that laughing did burn calories, cuz if it did, I would do it 24/7 (see even today we use numbers to mean something other than some literal meaning like 3.43, which is 24 divided by 7 :) )

so of course I can see that numbers in the Bible can be expressions that point to another meaning...and 12 is indeed a number that represents completeness...so 12X12 would mean complete completeness and boy if you multiplied it by 1000....because 1000 means a long time or an indefinite quantity in Psalms (I'd quote the verse number, but chances are your numbering is different than mine)...
so 144,000 would mean completeness squared and then some more

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
="kepha31, post: 4177492, member: 30332"]I don't deny God's words, I deny your private interpretation, or the opinions of those who taught you.
I didn't give any interpretations. I just posted verses and you found fault with each one. It's God's words you rejected, not mine. It's impossible to misinterpret "do not add or take away from my words."

Maybe you can finally tell me which "written" Paul was referring to. A New Testament that didn't yet fully exist? The Talmud? The Mosaic law? The Old Testament Scriptures? "Do not go beyond what is written" says nothing about the Bible being the sole rule of faith.
666<
Most of the NT was written and being copied and circulated to the churches between the late 40's A.D. to 70 A.D. Prior to anything being written, the apostles were giving the instructions they had received from Jesus orally. And they had the entire OT translated into Greek during that time. And at least two times in the OT, God said "Do not add or take away from my words.

Paul wrote 1 Corinthians in about A.D. 55 So his admonition would have included Matthew, Mark, Galatians, James, 1 and 2 Thessalonians and 1 Corinthians. I believe his warning would have included any future inspired writings. Why wouldn't it?
Of course I think every word of God is pure. I don't think God limits the mode of 5transmitting His Word to just the written word. I am still waiting for any verse in the entire Bible that explicitly states "word of God" just means the written word alone. You can't give one because it doesn't exist.
No one today is inspired. No one has been since the last apostle died. The last book of the New Testament, which was written by inspiration is Revelation.

He is commanding that we do not add or take away from His words is found only in Revelation, the Book Jesus is referring to.
So it's okay to add and take away from all other books of the Bible? God's word was divided into books by men. God's word is God's word. Period.
Martin Luther added the word "alone" to Romans 3:28 to bolster his heresy of "justification by faith alone". Was he adding to God's word?
YES HE WAS! Faith alone is an abominable heresy. I do not believe in it, and I'm happy you don't either. I am not protestant, by the way. I am a non denominational christian. Period.

chlotilde

Madame Curie
Paul wrote 1 Corinthians in about A.D. 55 So his admonition would have included Matthew, Mark, Galatians, James, 1 and 2 Thessalonians and 1 Corinthians. I believe his warning would have included any future inspired writings. Why wouldn't it?

No one today is inspired.
You and I apparently have different dates in mind for when things were written.

But about your sentence on no one today is inspired. What to you is the Holy Spirit? I mean. was it like Jesus that only came once to humans for a few short years?

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
="kepha31, post: 4177492, member: 30332"]
So everybody is a pastor? "Man of God" is found throughout scripture. It's a person ordained by the laying on of hands, or a person called directly by God followed by signs and wonders. Since you can't find it's usage to apply to any believer, you should stop repeating yourself.

I thought your comment above deserved its own post. There is much to be said about this topic, and I would like very much to discuss it with you.

I don't think you understand that the Bible teaches that all Christians are ordained. I don't say that as an insult to your intelligence. I know you are smart. I just don't think you have been educated in the Scriptures. You are educated in catholic teachings. To ordain simply means to appoint. ALL Christians are ordained (appointed) priests. We (YOU and ME) are a priesthood of believers. See 1 Peter 2:5, 9 below. These verses apply to YOU, ME and every other christian.

5 And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What’s more, you are his holy priests. Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.

9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.

10 “Once you had no identity as a people;
now you are God’s people.
Once you received no mercy;
now you have received God’s mercy.

You, my dear lady are an ordained priest, and Jesus is your high priest. YOU are a man (woman) of God. Verse 10 above tells you "YOU ARE GOD'S PEOPLE" ( that would be all Christians collectively). YOU are a woman of God (individually). The verses you posted, which have the phrase "man of God" in them, serve to show that men like Moses were ordained, appointed or chosen by God to a specific role. The same can be said of the men of God in Judges, Samuel, Elijah, Chronicles and Kings, which you posted. Each was ordained or appointed to play a specific role. You also have been chosen to play a specific role. YOU have been ordained or appointed to be a priest to God. You are a woman of God. You are among the priesthood of believers.

The RCC, like much of the Protestant world has created two classes of Christians: a “spiritually superior class” of Christians known as “clergy or priests” and an inferior class known as “laity.” This is not Biblical. While believers have different callings and gifts they are all servants of the Lord. In the New Testament church, all Christians are equal (Galatians 3:27). There is no separation of priests and laity. All Christians are priests. Under the Old Law, there was a formal, ordained priesthood, but that priesthood was abolished by Jesus when HE died on the cross.

In the New Testament church, you will find a plurality of elders or overseers (sometimes called bishops, presbyters, pastors or shepherds) whose job it was to oversee the flock, and to be on the watch for false teachers. There was never one individual elder over a congregation. There was always a plurality of elders. The elders had no authority to make any laws for the church. James 4:12 plainly says that there is only one lawgiver. We know that is Christ. Elders had no authority to make law nor change even one. Rather their place was to see that the perfect law of liberty, which has already been given by the Lord, is kept as perfectly as possible. In other words, they rule the local congregation under an umbrella of authority already furnished by Christ, our law-giver. Elders were to instruct the members of their flock as well as watch over and govern them. But again, this is to be done within the boundaries of the Scriptures. IOW, elders didn't get to make up new doctrine, which is not from the Scriptures.

This needs to be a thread topic of its own.

Last edited:

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
You and I apparently have different dates in mind for when things were written.

But about your sentence on no one today is inspired. What to you is the Holy Spirit? I mean. was it like Jesus that only came once to humans for a few short years?

When do you believe they were written?

Christians are indwelled by the Holy Spirit. We are His temple. That does not mean that God has chosen us to give revelations to as He did with the authors of the Bible. Those times have passed. Prophesy has ceased. (1 Cor. 13:8-10)

"For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." ( 2 Peter 1:21)

We have no need for new revelation. Everything we need to know for salvation and Christian living is found in the Bible. God has THOROUGHLY EQUIPPED US.

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

The faith has ONCE FOR ALL been delivered.

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God's holy people (Jude 3)

What is it you think you need to know that God hasn't already told you? God's word tells us that HE has thoroughly equipped us for every good work. You don't believe this? God's word tells us that the faith has ONCE FOR ALL been delivered. You don't believe this?

Last edited:

chlotilde

Madame Curie
When do you believe they were written?

What is it you think you need to know that God hasn't already told you? God's word tells us that HE has thoroughly equipped us for every good work. You don't believe this? God's word tells us that the faith has ONCE FOR ALL been delivered. You don't believe this?
See me other post about when things were written. Even Bible scholars (whatever that means,lol) disagree. But if the Holy Spirit was driving me to find that answer (because heck, that may indeed be one thing someday that I need to know about God's words) I will have to find that answer somewhere. God has made me who I am and has indeed equipped me with the means and ways to fulfill that task. And yes, God indeed did deliver Jesus, once for all.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
="chlotilde, post: 4178119, member: 1127"] \
I am the last person you need to apologize too! I am an infrequent poster here as it is, and disappear for months on end (which as soon as we are through I will do because it is Lent and my attentions need to be focused elsewhere). And…hence my religious title Roamin’ Catholic……(cuz I am punny like that)
I hate to see you go. I like your attitude. I will miss you.

I’d believe that if Jesus said here, take these books and follow them because that is all you need. But that is not in the Bible…Because if the Scriptures at the time of Paul’s teachings were sufficient then we don’t need most of the books of the NT (they didn't exist when Paul was preaching). Whatever it was Paul was teaching, it was not, do not add to scripture, because his teachings and the Holy Spirit inspired over 100 others to write books about Jesus, including the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It makes Jesus more prolific in his time than Julius Caesar, don’t you think? (today, that number could be different…if anything, JFK outranks even Julius Caesar in the area of being written about)
Jesus never quoted from anything but the Scriptures, and He did it constantly. That says to me that the Scriptures were very important to Him. There are enough warning to not add or take away from God's word in the Old Testament. Unless you think that the New Testament is NOT God's word, you should be screaming loudly about anything that has been added to it. Do you think God changed His mind about His word in the New Testament? Paul passed on the teachings of Jesus orally, and then later, after his letters were written, they were circulated among the churches. All of the New Testament was written before the close of the first century. Many things were written about Jesus, but most of authors were not inspired. If they were, surely the catholic church would have included them in their canon of Scripture.

Several of them are Wisdom books, a few Prophetic…I haven’t read them in their entirety, except for Baruch because of a funny story from my brother, who had a comp/sci professor mention it in class, so I read it to see what the Prof was talking about. (and this was at a secular University) There is one little story I like though. In John 10:22, Jesus is celebrating a party…but you wouldn’t know the context of that party without the book of Maccabees. Today, we call it Hannukah. Jesus celebrated Hannukah…who knew?! But makes sense because he was Jewish. Do you celebrate Hannukah like Jesus did?

(editting to add here...I only asked that question because I don't know if your idea of Christian living would include celebrating the same things that Jesus celebrated.)
I will make it a point to read the extra books in the catholic Bible. I will check out the Hannukah story. :)
Hey, it only has to appear once in the Bible for me to believe it, because from Tradition, that collection of books we call the NT were assembled, (from those many 100+ that were written).
Methinks you missed the point. We'll talk more about traadition when you come back.

Be careful then, but be strong in your beliefs, because someone might see you and say you are worshipping whatever is below you like the Bible, or the ground, or a piece of carpet,,,, because as you know, there are people out there who judge others by what they think they see, and not by what is in someone’s heart.
I'm not worried. Funny, as many times as I have seen Muslims prostrating themselves on their prayer rugs, I have never once thought they were worshiping their rugs. I always understood that they were worshiping Allah. But when a catholic prostrates themselves, bows down before, or kisses a statue of Mary, there is no question that it is Mary they are worshiping. Otherwise, why the statue? It is Mary their petition is directed to.

I won't soon forget when Pope John Paul II was shot, while the ambulance was rushing him to the hospital, the Pope was not praying to God or calling on the name of Jesus. He kept saying, over and over, “Mary, my mother!” Polish pilgrims placed a picture of Our Lady of Czestochowa on the throne where the Pope normally sat. People gathered around the picture. Vatican loudspeakers broadcasted the prayers of the rosary. When the Pope recovered, he gave Mary all the glory for saving his life, and he made a pilgrimage to Fatima to publicly thank her.

It made me sick to my stomach.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
See me other post about when things were written. Even Bible scholars (whatever that means,lol) disagree. But if the Holy Spirit was driving me to find that answer (because heck, that may indeed be one thing someday that I need to know about God's words) I will have to find that answer somewhere. God has made me who I am and has indeed equipped me with the means and ways to fulfill that task. And yes, God indeed did deliver Jesus, once for all.
The Scripture says the FAITH was delivered once for all. It's not talking about delivering Jesus. The faith refers to Christian doctrine. It was delivered once for all.

Unification

ahhh, would that laughing did burn calories, cuz if it did, I would do it 24/7 (see even today we use numbers to mean something other than some literal meaning like 3.43, which is 24 divided by 7 :) )

so of course I can see that numbers in the Bible can be expressions that point to another meaning...and 12 is indeed a number that represents completeness...so 12X12 would mean complete completeness and boy if you multiplied it by 1000....because 1000 means a long time or an indefinite quantity in Psalms (I'd quote the verse number, but chances are your numbering is different than mine)...
so 144,000 would mean completeness squared and then some more

You have said this in a beautiful way .

Arguing that a specific term is not in scripture is self defeating, because nowhere in scripture does it say that all doctrines must be explicitly found in scripture to be valid. "Trinity" is not found in scripture either.

Theotokos is the original Greek for God-bearer. The term was a development from the Council of Ephesus in the 4rth century in response to the Nestorian heresy. A more precise definition of the INCARNATION was needed. That was the purpose of "Theotokos", (Mother of God) to defend the Incarnation, not to deify a lowly handmaid.

This heresy about the person of Christ was initiated by Nestorius, bishop of Constantinople, who denied Mary the title of Theotokos (Greek: "God-bearer" or, less literally, "Mother of God"). Nestorius claimed that she only bore Christ’s human nature in her womb, and proposed the alternative title Christotokos ("Christ-bearer" or "Mother of Christ").​

Orthodox Catholic theologians recognized that Nestorius’s theory would fracture Christ into two separate persons (one human and one divine, joined in a sort of loose unity), only one of whom was in her womb. The Church reacted in 431 with the Council of Ephesus, defining that Mary can be properly referred to as the Mother of God, not in the sense that she is older than God or the source of God, but in the sense that the person she carried in her womb was, in fact, God incarnate ("in the flesh").

There is some doubt whether Nestorius himself held the heresy his statements imply, and in this century, the Assyrian Church of the East, historically regarded as a Nestorian church, has signed a fully orthodox joint declaration on Christology with the Catholic Church and rejects Nestorianism. It is now in the process of coming into full ecclesial communion with the Catholic Church.
The Great Heresies | Catholic Answers

It seems to me many evangelicals fall into the Nestorian trap of dividing Jesus into 2 separate natures. Mothers give birth to persons, not natures. Mary gave birth to a Person: Jesus, who is God. The logic is inescapable.
Mary is the Mother of God.

I am not a member of the Starship Enterprise and I do not desire to go beyond the word of YHWH where many Spocks now go.

willyah