• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation advice

Papoon

One worthwhile piece of advice re meditation.

Don't kid yourself that you are a saintly practioner of dharma if in fact you are a manipulative passive aggressive.

You'd be surprised how common that is.

Allow yourself to see it, for the sake of all beings.

Mangalam

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
If you expect anything in return, that will not bring any good result even though you actually fully meditate.

On the other hand Buddhist meditation practices often have specific purposes, for example developing samatha ( tranquillity ) or vipassana ( insight ).
See here for example: https://suttacentral.net/en/an2.31

And at a practical level people are unlikely to sustain a regular meditation practice if they feel that it isn't "working" at some level.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
If you expect anything in return, that will not bring any good result even though you actually fully meditate.
On the other hand Buddhist meditation practice often have specific purposes, for example developing samatha ( tranquillity ) or vipassana ( insight ).
See here for example: https://suttacentral.net/en/an2.31

And at a practical level people are unlikely to sustain a regular meditation practice if they feel there is no benefit.
Actually, both of these statements are correct. If you start an insight meditation expecting a certain result, the insight will be questionable, since there is the possibility of self-delusion via expectation. In my own personal experience, the most meaningful insights I've experienced were the ones that surprised me when I was investigating something else.

Actually, both of these statements are correct. If you start an insight meditation expecting a certain result, the insight will be questionable, since there is the possibility of self-delusion via expectation. In my own personal experience, the most meaningful insights I've experienced were the ones that surprised me when I was investigating something else.
Yeah actually I also agree with Spiny Norman.
"it seems that one must be more active in meditation with some target but accepting nothing in return".

Worth,attachment etc. breaks the circle of trust.
"it is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle. than it is for him to enter into the kingdom of "heaven" "
"the heart is deceptive above all things"

expel all sense of worth, would be my advice. let go

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Just curious - what is the best piece of advice you have received regards meditation?

Have a great day!

Don't try to do anything in particular in meditation. Just sit and breathe. Relax. Meditation calls us back to the moment, back to our place as it were, and we attain again the lucid state of tranquil bliss Epicurus called Ataraxia. There are other meditations one can do, such as walking meditation or just contemplation, but in sitting meditation don't try to do anything except sit.

Jumi

As long as you're doing it, don't worry about how you're doing it. Just let it come naturally, dive deep into the waters and let the pure air enter your lungs.

Rick O'Shez

As long as you're doing it, don't worry about how you're doing it. Just let it come naturally, dive deep into the waters and let the pure air enter your lungs.

Hmm, this approach can be very hit and miss. I've known a lot of people who gave up meditation because it wasn't "working" for them, often because they haven't been properly instructed and advised. The method does matter, and different methods have different results and different challenges.

Jumi

Hmm, this approach can be very hit and miss. I've known a lot of people who gave up meditation because it wasn't "working" for them, often because they haven't been properly instructed and advised. The method does matter, and different methods have different results and different challenges.
I'm not saying that's all there is to it. There are different methods and results. I don't know much about Buddhist methods or aims if they somehow conflict with what I've said?

Rick O'Shez

I'm not saying that's all there is to it. There are different methods and results. I don't know much about Buddhist methods or aims if they somehow conflict with what I've said?

Generally I view meditation as an art or craft to be learned, so initially it's good to learn from people with some experience, and ideally to gain familiarity with a number of different methods. As experience develops one can be more creative.

Jumi

We have opposite philosophies then. To start with the experience and refine from there.

Jon916

I live in Thailand. I bought a didgeridoo from Australia off of ebay. I think it is some form of e-note, it is supposed proven to stop sleep apena. I'm learning the circular breathing technique and in hyper-oxygenating or maybe hyper-ventilating, I hit a neat sort of quiet calmness. My dog never stops barking, and I think the neighbors think a monk retreat is in the making. I play it outside next to the pool. I don't think I see any higher purpose or enlightenment aside from the hyper or hypo oxygenation. Not sure which. I could drop by the local temple and ask the monks what they think of it! Crazy Falang I'm sure would be there response!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I live in Thailand. I bought a didgeridoo from Australia off of ebay. I think it is some form of e-note, it is supposed proven to stop sleep apena. I'm learning the circular breathing technique and in hyper-oxygenating or maybe hyper-ventilating, I hit a neat sort of quiet calmness.
I wouldn't say playing the didge hyper-oxygenates you. At least not if you're playing it right! It's the same as playing something like a trombone except using circular breathing instead of stopping for breaths. If done correctly you never get over or under oxygenated. I can play the didge for 20 minutes straight without pausing for air by using circular breathing and never once get light headed from doing it.

What does make the difference however is the fact that it is a drone. Droning does in fact have an effect on us. It's like chanting AUM. It resonates the body, the skull with a single tone. The didge definitely does that as well. This is one of many tools people can use to help create meditative states where the mind relaxes and lets go of busy mental processing. Couple this with body movements, sacred dance and whatnot and you enter into these altered states, or "Dreamtime" as the Aboriginals call it. Monks chanting has a similar effect. Drone. They key is drone. Think of it like a mantra. Drones, chants, repetition. They have similar calming effects.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From "The Meditation Bible" by Madonna Gauding

Instead of saying "I am angry" ... try saying "I am aware that there is anger in me." :)

Try these searches! -

lionsroar.com mindfulness

lionsroar.com compassion

Purpose fairy Thich

Learning to meditate

Tiny Buddha mindfulness

livinglifefully.com mindfulness

livinglifefully.com thich

Osho meditation quotes - plus pain.htm

Meditation advice - a few - yet 2 fully explore!

meditationcenter.com how deep is your self love

Inner smile meditation

Meditation patience

Tolle accept present moment

The Mindful Geek

Overcoming the Biggest Pitfall of Mindfulness

Observe the observer! - fabulous advice!

Some meditation quotes

You will only experience TRUE happiness when you cultivate kind & compassionate thoughts towards your fellow beings

Meditation cartoons

Inner smile meditation - plus DOZENS of other suggestions!

http://www.mindfulteachers.org/2015/10/how-to-cultivate-a-joyful-mind.html

You Are Not Your Thoughts and Feelings, and They Don’t Have to Bring You Down

Using Mindfulness to Overcome Anxiety and Depression

But I HIGHLY rercommend the book itself!

Namaste

Last edited: