• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More attacks on Free Speech in the UK

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Let me clarify:

The topic is free speech and what should be allowed and what should not. So the details matter, correct?

In that context threatening someone is quite different than insulting them.

Yeah, and how that is understood can vary.
I get that you think your understanding is the correct one. But I still believe differently.

sew.excited73

Wendy-Anne - I am Dutch/British
Might be some action in the UK. One of the first things the Prime Minister said at the time of the riots was regarding social media.

- MSN
As long as the PM doesn't overdo it, and we become completely censored in all our criticism, I can agree with you. But I think so does Elon. He just lets things go a bit further then most would like, as the bullying he had to take as a boy gave him a thicker skin and therefore he is now less easily offended than most people, I guess. I don't know, but that's my assumption.

By the way, serious question, not being sarcky: What is the difference between being offended and being insulted?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Yeah, and how that is understood can vary.
I get that you think your understanding is the correct one. But I still believe differently.

I'll use this example again:

"I believe Islam promotes violence, misogyny, homophobia, anti-semitism, and anti-secularism."

Now I'm sure that the previous sentence would be seen as insulting by some people. Should that sentence be censored?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'll use this example again:

"I believe Islam promotes violence, misogyny, homophobia, anti-semitism, and anti-secularism."

Now I'm sure that the previous sentence would be seen as insulting by some people. Should that sentence be censored?

Well, it is in some countries for at least some contexts and can be a part of what lands someone in jail.

sew.excited73

Wendy-Anne - I am Dutch/British
Yikes!

I think one implication of that is that censoring such speech amounts to tolerating intolerant ideas. How can that be okay?
At least tolerating intolerant ideas doesn't lead to totalitarianism! (try and say that 3x fast in a row! LOL)

icehorse

Premium Member
At least tolerating intolerant ideas doesn't lead to totalitarianism! (try and say that 3x fast in a row! LOL)
But that's exactly what it allows :(

Take a look at many Muslim majority, Islamic republics and you'll see that criticism is basically illegal and these countries are very totalitarian.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
But that's exactly what it allows :(

Take a look at many Muslim majority, Islamic republics and you'll see that criticism is basically illegal and these countries are very totalitarian.

Well, yes. But that is not the same in Europe.
You can still be critical of religion and so on. There are just limits of how you can express it.

icehorse

Premium Member
Well, yes. But that is not the same in Europe.
You can still be critical of religion and so on. There are just limits of how you can express it.
Well that's the starting point for this thread! In the UK right now free speech is being sharply curtailed, and that seems extremely dangerous.

icehorse

Premium Member
That is your opinion.
I don't think the claim of curtailment is a matter of opinion, as the OP shows.

As for the dangers involved, it is not only my opinion, it's the opinion of most of the best thinkers of the last two or three hundred years. Free speech is the foundation of modern, Western civilization.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It's it imminent, it has caused it. It already happened and is happening.
Actually, the definition of imminent means it is just about to happen, not that it is happening and already happened.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't think the claim of curtailment is a matter of opinion, as the OP shows.

As for the dangers involved, it is not only my opinion, it's the opinion of most of the best thinkers of the last two or three hundred years. Free speech is the foundation of modern, Western civilization.

Evidence and logic that they are the best thinkers and that there is an exact version of free spech and that is the foundation of modern, Western civilization.