• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More attacks on Free Speech in the UK

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
A reference would have been nice but i think you are talking about Michael WIlliams of Devon age 51who took part in the riot chanting "Who the f*** is Allah' repeatedly. Building security cameras caught him committing assault and battery pushing a man down and repeatedly kicking him. WIlliams also filmed hurling bottles and rocks at police. He pled guilty to the charge of violent disorder.

Nope,61 year old David Spring of Longfellow Road in Sutton.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Right and do so. Just don't start including other people into it who are not even involved in the matter as if they are somehow under suspicion themselves.

What other people, who mentioned other people? Oh right, you did

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So not wanting riotous yobs to run around burning down public libraries and trying to lynch migrants is Stalinism now is it????

Certain sections of the masses need controlling as they are otherwise inherently out of control, with disastrous consequences

Burning down libraries is not valid reason?

Attacking people in the streets is not reason?
But how does censoring images of the riot help stop these things? Shouldn't the public be informed of what is occurring?

Argentbear

Nope,61 year old David Spring of Longfellow Road in Sutton.
David Spring attended the "enough is enough" demonstration at Richmond Terrace. Police asked the 700-strong protest to remain in Richmond Terrace and then disperse leave at 8.30pm. The demonstrators did not disburse and Spring was one of the demonstrators who became violent and broke through barriers at Richmond Terrace, advancing towards Whitehall and confronting police officers. He shouted obscenities at police and engaged in threats. Spring pled guilty to the charges. the judge ruled: "At that point you did that [shouting and swearing at police] you must have been well aware it was a particularly volatile situation and police were doing their best to keep order. Your actions showed a complete contempt for the police at that time. What you were doing, could and did encourage others to threaten the police and add to the disorder. Violent protests can't be tolerated, and neither can violence towards police officers who do their duty to protect the public from disorder, and those who do can expect to receive severe sentences, to punish you and deter others from disorder."

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And violence can be caused by speech

Everything has consequences

For several centuries now the test for limits to free speech has been whether a bit of speech is likely to cause IMMINENT violence. If I'm understanding you, it would seem that you think we should change that to

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
For several centuries now the test for limits to free speech has been whether a bit of speech is likely to cause IMMINENT violence. If I'm understanding you, it would seem that you think we should change that to
I think any incitement to violence should be unlawful

Thus should of course be done lawfully

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And violence can be caused by speech

Everything has consequences
It's one thing to if someone is actively encouraging, instructing, and coordinating violent and criminal activity, but the public having a view of actual events happening in their own streets? I occasionally watch dash cam footage of police pursuits. Is that a form of dangerous, crime-inciting speech?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
But how do you know if particular things are a form of encouragement? What about works of fiction that depict scenes of crime and/or violence? Seems like a slippery slope to me.
By the wording

If a play or a TV programme actually calls for real life violence then that should be an issue

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
It's one thing to if someone is actively encouraging, instructing, and coordinating violent and criminal activity, but the public having a view of actual events happening in their own streets? I occasionally watch dash cam footage of police pursuits. Is that a form of dangerous, crime-inciting speech?
That would depend on the motivations of the producers and the broadcasters

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think any incitement to violence should be unlawful

Thus should of course be done lawfully

Two questions:

1 - How would that be judged?
2 - What to do when a government becomes violent towards its own citizens?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How does one make that assessment? What about images of other riots? Are images of riots in general a form of incitement?

I didn't make or act on the statutes so i don't know.

What about them? We are talking about the current riots. Im pretty certain that riots in the future will be handled thr same way .

Im general, probably not.