• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More attacks on Free Speech in the UK

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Well I mean no one wants a 'riot' to take place, but what about a peaceful protest? Importantly, are you allowed to protest in the uk or not? I don't know
None of this was peaceful protest. It was racist violence, arranged using social media. I live about a mile from one of the occurrences. Thugs trying to attack a mosque. Quite happy for them all to be thrown in prison.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I strongly condemn the violent riot/failed insurrection attempt at the U.S. capital building Jan 6 2021, but I certainly wouldn't want any of the images of it to be censored. In fact I think it's important that the world fully see and understand what transpired that day.
Images in themselves are clearly not the problem, or all the media outlets would be in trouble.

amorphous_constellation

And violence can be caused by speech

Everything has consequences
I think I might argue that, for example, that one can read all kinds of books, and listen to all kinds of talks on youtube, especially of a political nature, but you as a listener have some responsibility to interpret every form of media you consume in a the wiser way, than to just say that what you do is flatly caused only by the media you consumed.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yeah, it is a Tory law. They are to blame for the law.

And it’s nothing to compare what labour are going to impose on us “islamophobia”,already adopted by the party will be treated as a race crime even though not all followers of Islam are one race,you won’t be able (not that I would) for example say “that fully covered Muslim woman reminds me of a patio umberella” as that will be deemed racist even though you don’t even know what race she is because,well she’s covered head to toe.

Last edited:

rocala

Thank you eddi, Christine, Secret Chief and Others for your common sense, principals and simply standing up to the crap I am seeing here.
I don't know how many of you have actually been in a riot but trust me it is a totally different world to posting in a forum or reading your newspaper. A word is like a gunshot, sometimes people say what was that and other times world war breaks out.

The atmosphere has an incredible energy to it, a minor grievance can become a call to war. A very good reason not to insult religious figures or even the local football team. That energy can linger too and turn into making those who get away with it into short term heroes. Lynch mobs can be born this way.

I got very excited once on an anti-racism demo. A small but nonetheless nasty riot resulted, people got hurt and some got arrested and nothing was achieved. Some time later in a different life I was on a counter insurgency course with the military. So I have seen it from both sides and I know that eddi, Christine and Secret Chief are talking sense.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And it’s nothing to compare what la our are going to impose on us “islamophobia”,already adopt you the party will be treat as a race crime even though not all followers of Islam are one race,you won’t be able (not that I would) for example say “that fully covered Muslim woman reminds me of a patio umberella” as that will be deemed racist even though you don’t even know what race she is because,well she’s covered head to toe.

Well, we don't agree, so there is that.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I think I might argue that, for example, that one can read all kinds of books, and listen to all kinds of talks on youtube, especially of a political nature, but you as a listener have some responsibility to interpret every form of media you consume in a the wiser way, than to just say that what you do is flatly caused only by the media you consumed.
There is a difference between portrayals and incitements

amorphous_constellation

I don't know how many of you have actually been in a riot but trust me it is a totally different world to posting in a forum or reading your newspaper. A word is like a gunshot, sometimes people say what was that and other times world war breaks out.

The atmosphere has an incredible energy to it, a minor grievance can become a call to war.
That's not good, but why do things happen like that, in that sort of a sequence? If what you say is possible, then the implication is that some kind of a social issue is not being dealt with hardly at all, for the atmosphere to be something akin to a barn full of moldy hay, waiting for a spark. What is the psychology behind this kind of an atmosphere, and its progression into something no one wants?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
None of this was peaceful protest. It was racist violence, arranged using social media. I live about a mile from one of the occurrences. Thugs trying to attack a mosque. Quite happy for them all to be thrown in prison

“Quite happy for them all to be thrown in prison”

Do you mean the white ones or all?

rocala

What is the psychology behind this kind of an atmosphere, and its progression into something no one wants?

That is a very good question, IMO. All I can say is that I don't recall meeting anybody who thinks we, as a society are doing ok. Left, right and centre, everybody is pissed off. Everybody wants to go where the grass is greener.

Altfish

Veteran Member
No actual violence though,he had no choice but to plead guilty,if he pleaded otherwise the sentence would have been worse,what’s worrying about this is the influence on the judicial system,not good at all.

If we consider asking if a supernatural entity identity is “who the **** is Allah” and swearing at the police with the middle finger salute is a custodial offence the surely the pro Palestinian convoy chanting “kill all jews,**** their mothers and daughters “ which refers to living people is worse,is it fair that their case was dropped?,or why the people who attacked police at Heathrow airport haven’t even been charged yet,this is why people perceive a two tier system.
Manchester Airport.
If you plead guilty you are dealt with swiftly.
If pleading not guilty a case has to be built, submitted the the CPS, it can take ages.

Altfish

Veteran Member
And it’s nothing to compare what la our are going to impose on us “islamophobia”,already adopt you the party will be treat as a race crime even though not all followers of Islam are one race,you won’t be able (not that I would) for example say “that fully covered Muslim woman reminds me of a patio umberella” as that will be deemed racist even though you don’t even know what race she is because,well she’s covered head to toe.
Do you agree that Steve Bray should be prosecuted
It is not just right wing nut jobs that get caught by the oppressive law.