• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More attacks on Free Speech in the UK

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
With respect, I strongly disagree. There is no free speech in a riot area. The RF members that I named, are IMO supporting the efforts to contain such riotous behaviour. In doing so, I believe that they are supporting an environment in which free speech can take place.
No, the OP is about the authorities "scouring social media", it's right there in the OP :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I absolutely despise that pathetic kind of reasoning that if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem.

I'll tell you something there's a huge problem when your government surveys you as if you're guilty of something you've never did.

It's a precursor to absolute tyranny and an immense threat to people's freedoms, and I'll make no bones about what that means.

Which is people are playing with fire when they allow their government to do that to them.

My heart breaks for people in the UK, England, and Britain.

I never in my life would think such a fine and proud country would ever fall in that direction and that includes my own country as well.

I'm rather glad that i lived in the UK where freedom comes with responsibility as opposed to the US where freedom comes with a gun.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I've never met anyone I would trust with such decisions, have you?

I've never had to because i have nothing to hide. The law is precise and British courts and judges usually serve justice, not trump got me the job so I've got to favour those to favour trump.

rocala

No, the OP is about the authorities "scouring social media",
Why should social media be treated differently to any other form of media. There may indeed be cause for concern in some of the areas discussed. However, IMO discussion here has lost credibility for one very obvious reason. The crimes in question were done by right wing mobs and the main complainers are RF's most renowned right wing commentators.
I am in no doubt that if the mobs were left wingers we would be experiencing a very different tone.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm rather glad that i lived in the UK where freedom comes with responsibility as opposed to the US where freedom comes with a gun.
I wouldn't be so proud. Not proud at all. Already your country has been convicted of human rights violations.

And again not too long ago either...

Something I never thought I'd ever see happen coming from across the pond.

I'll take freedom with a gun because it's the last line of defense to keep a country free as possible. Our founding fathers knew that all too well.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
This reminds me of a recent visit by a German. He was shocked, shocked by two things. 1 that we were not shooting each other in the streets and 2 that African Americans only make up about 13 percent of the population. He had misconceived notions about both, based mostly on media reports from his country.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I wouldn't be so proud. Not proud at all. Already your country has been convicted of human rights violations.

I'll take freedom with a gun because it's the last line of defense to keep a country free as possible. Our founding fathers knew that all too well.
The Rwanda thing was a dreadful attempted vote winner by the previous tory government. The whole idea got binned on day 1 of the new Labour government.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I said glad, not proud, i can recommend a good optician if you want.

Yeah right, weall have problems, Human rights in United States of America

Take what you want, I've always believed freedom comes with responsibility

Yup, freedom of religion, look where that's got you

Kathryn

Rwanda was horrible. I kept thinking "Apparently these people are too poor and too dark for white people with money to really care about."

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Rwanda was horrible. I kept thinking "Apparently these people are too poor and too dark for white people with money to really care about."
The tories were losing voters to the far right and were (and still are) moving to the right. Rwanda was their attempt to get the votes of those who ended up (as the tories correctly feared) voting Reform party. They were chasing the racist vote.

Kathryn

The tories were losing voters to the far right and were (and still are) moving to the right. Rwanda was their attempt to get the votes of those who ended up (as the tories correctly feared) voting Reform party. They were chasing the racist vote.
All I know is that dark brown people were being slaughtered with machetes in Rwanda and no one was stopping the slaughter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am sure they did, considering how many they slaughtered and enslaved to get there. A rather limited concept of freedom that you have there.
You will find such origins were just as severe. Right to a point where people were compelled to form a new country.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
What, you think they're more likely to be in favour of multi-culturalism, are pro-EU and in favour of free movement? Yeah sure, that would be consistent with their actions, slogans and chanting. Not.

So everyone who voted leave by a majority twice are all right wingers?,seems it’s more consistent with sour grapes for some,

There were indeed right wing nutjobs in the riots and some football hooligans to boot but not all.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
All I know is that dark brown people were being slaughtered with machetes in Rwanda and no one was stopping the slaughter.
Are we talking about the same thing? Rwanda as a recent issue was the tory government planning on sending asylum seekers and refugees (of any colour) to Rwanda. Clearly meant to be a disincentive and a dog whistle for the far right and racist contingent. No machetes involved.