• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mostly to the US people (Civil war?)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Participants were also asked: “Looking ahead to the next 10 years, how likely do you think it is that there will be a civil war in this country?”

Among all US citizens, 43% said civil war was at least somewhat likely. Among strong Democrats and independents that figure was 40%. But among strong Republicans, 54% said civil war was at least somewhat likely.

More than 40% of Americans think civil war likely within a decade

Is that a thought/fear/expectation that people here on the forum have as well, that it might turn out that way?

Personally, I have only just heard about it, I knew that things between people in the US weren't good after the whole Trump/Biden thing, but didn't know that it was so bad as many seen to suggest.

I suppose there may be enough anger and polarization for one, but I can't speculate as to what that would look like in actuality. Any kind of organized secession of states of the kind that preceded the Civil War is extremely unlikely to happen. Plus, the U.S. military is far more powerful and has greater resources than any state government would be able to put together, or even a group of state governments. In any case, it would take time for any kind of secessionist or rebellious government to organize and train a military force.

What could happen (although still unlikely) is that the military itself could polarize and divide, in which case they'd fight each other using weapons and munitions already available to the U.S. military.

Militarists and law-and-order types tend to be right-wing, which in turn is usually very friendly to the interests of military and law enforcement. That could also be problematic.

There's also a bit of regionalism, which may be a factor. The right-wing areas of the country tend to be in rural areas and in the heartland, while the liberal/left areas tend to be in the cities and on the coasts. So, in a hypothetical civil war situation, the right-wing would be in a key position to disrupt transport and communication between cities, which could create chaos in the cities and keep the liberal coastal areas cut off from each other. "Flyover country" could turn into a "No fly zone."

But this is all hypothetical. Right now, despite whatever hostility there might be out there, it hasn't really gotten to the point of civil war. The only thing that could escalate the possibility is if the powers that be in this country (both in government and business) can't turn the economy around and bring the standard of living up to an acceptable level for all Americans. But if we keep having inflation, supply chain issues, lack of affordable housing, and other socioeconomic maladies, then all bets are off.

That's why focusing on the economy is the most important issue right now. There is absolutely nothing more important than that, because if the economy goes, there goes the whole ballgame.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm in Iowa, about an hour and a half from the Minnesota border.

It wouldn't take long to get there, though the rustling up a new dwelling might prove difficult.

Another couple of maps which might be helpful to see how the country lines up behind red or blue.

2016-Election-Art-Map-2w.jpg

Dasymetric-Dot-Density-w.jpg

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
No, there will not be “Civil War”. Most Americans are not willing to slaughter our family and friends over politics.

America is one of the greatest nations ever to exist. Haters gonna hate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Participants were also asked: “Looking ahead to the next 10 years, how likely do you think it is that there will be a civil war in this country?”

Among all US citizens, 43% said civil war was at least somewhat likely. Among strong Democrats and independents that figure was 40%. But among strong Republicans, 54% said civil war was at least somewhat likely.

Is that a thought/fear/expectation that people here on the forum have as well, that it might turn out that way?

Personally, I have only just heard about it, I knew that things between people in the US weren't good after the whole Trump/Biden thing, but didn't know that it was so bad as many seen to suggest.
I don't know if it'll be within a decade, but I've watched the cracks grow for awhile now, always getting worse and never better.

Shadow Wolf

And of course there was January 6 and the attempt to murder people as well as to overthrow the government. We got right at the brink that day because if they had succeeded the "balloon would have gone up".

So I would classify it as a real risk especially with Der Donald getting ready to run again.
Jan 6th being a dress rehearsal is a possible scenario that concerns me. They've had four years to learn what they did wrong.

Shadow Wolf

And both party's keep putting wedges in those cracks to open them a little wider.
No, at this point, we can no longer afford to look at both parties as equally guilty, as just one party is fiercely loyal to a man who lead an insurrection that very fortunately failed, and they haven't even banned him from running on their ticket.
This is not normal, run of the mill partisan politics. When you have one party helmed by a man sowing seeds of doubt and reject of the very system that has done a very good job at giving us political stability for over two hundred years.
One side wants more guns, more Christian based legislation (that lead to more restrictions on personal liberty), doubts the election, and even wants the state getting more inbetween a doctor and patient.
No, Dems aren't perfect and often suck. But one side is clearly more guilty than the other, as their wedges amd cracks are direct assaults to American Democracy.

Lets be real here. The vast majority of Americans are so lazy that they would never actually embrace violence. I just don't think it's realistic to say that people are going to go for a civil war. Where is the economic incentive? Without a real threat to capital on either side what are you going to even fight over?

It seems to me that people love to complain at each other but the people who actually want to do violence and will do it are rather few in number. Occasionally you get bursts of popular violent enthusiasm but it's fairly rare for that to mount into anything.

What happened with Roe V Wade was overturned? Oh that is right nothing. What happened when Trump supporters were in the capital? Oh right nothing.

One of my favorite Dead Kennedys albums is called Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death. I feel like that describes this place fairly well.

I don't think it's impossible but it seems very unlikely to me.