• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother mary without sin?

Betho_br

Mary was a virgin, but she was not sinless. => Nowhere in the Bible does it specifically say that Mary was sinless <=
A person made in the past, actually prophesied, completely full of grace, cannot co-exist with sin. There is no room for sin, it is completely full of grace.

jimb

Premium Member
A person made in the past, actually prophesied, completely full of grace, cannot co-exist with sin. There is no room for sin, it is completely full of grace.
Full of grace does not mean sinless! It is unmerited favor. Where in the Bible does it say specifically that Mary was sinless.

If Mary was sinless, why does Jesus say this in Matthew 12:46-49: "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother [Mary] and brothers came and stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers!"

So apparently Jesus had quite a different attitude toward Mary than what you claim. He did not say "Here is my sinless mother and my brothers". In fact, He said exactly the opposite. If she was without sin, He would not have rejected her!

jimb

Premium Member
Then refute the argument from grammar rules. Nobody will be able to do it.
Why don't you answer the question? Where in the Bible (any translation!) does it specifically say that Mary was sinless? Not grammatical interpretation of ancient Greek!

I have asked the same question multiple times, yet you have not given a direct answer. Why not? Because the Bible doesn't specifically say that Mary was sinless. And again, why didn't Jesus include her in His new family: “Here are my mother and my brothers!" ?

Betho_br

Full of grace does not mean sinless! It is unmerited favor. Where in the Bible does it say specifically that Mary was sinless.

If Mary was sinless, why does Jesus say this in Matthew 12:46-49: "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother [Mary] and brothers came and stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers!"

So apparently Jesus had quite a different attitude toward Mary than what you claim. He did not say "Here is my sinless mother and my brothers". In fact, He said exactly the opposite. If she was without sin, He would not have rejected her!
Jesus was a Jew and could not deny his father and mother, it is a commandment. What Jesus was teaching in this passage is that the spiritual bond is the determining factor in the kingdom of heaven and for the virgin Mary the angel's greeting is written: blessed are you among women.

Betho_br

Why don't you answer the question? Where in the Bible (any translation!) does it specifically say that Mary was sinless? Not grammatical interpretation of ancient Greek!

I have asked the same question multiple times, yet you have not given a direct answer. Why not? Because the Bible doesn't specifically say that Mary was sinless. And again, why didn't Jesus include her in His new family: “Here are my mother and my brothers!" ?
Why don't you study Greek grammar? You demonstrate ignorance like this.

jimb

Premium Member
Why don't you study Greek grammar? You demonstrate ignorance like this.
Obviously your knowledge of Greek grammar has prohibited you from seeing the truth. You still haven't shown me where in Scripture that it clearly says that Mary was sinless.. There is an obvious reason: because it's not there.

The Pharisees, like you, also had academic knowledge, yet they, like you, did not interpret Scripture correctly.

You have failed to demonstrate that Mary was sinless. Why? Because nowhere in the Bible does it say that she was. There was only one sinless person: Jesus Christ. Period.

Betho_br

Obviously your knowledge of Greek grammar has prohibited you from seeing the truth. You still haven't shown me where in Scripture that it clearly says that Mary was sinless.. There is an obvious reason: because it's not there.

The Pharisees, like you, also had academic knowledge, yet they, like you, did not interpret Scripture correctly.

You have failed to demonstrate that Mary was sinless. Why? Because nowhere in the Bible does it say that she was. There was only one sinless person: Jesus Christ. Period.
You are so incoherent, you talk about a pure Jesus but being born of a "dirty sinner" according to the Protestant vision.

jimb

Premium Member
You are so incoherent, you talk about a pure Jesus but being born of a "dirty sinner" according to the Protestant vision.
What is this "dirty sinner" nonsense? That is some fantasy of yours that I have never heard before from anyone! Why are so you intent on distorting the Bible to match the false Catholic glorification of a young woman chosen for a specific task?

BTW, you still haven't answered why Jesus said that she was not His mother in Matthew 12. If she was so sinless and pure, He never would have publicly "disowned" her.

Betho_br

What is this "dirty sinner" nonsense? That is some fantasy of yours that I have never heard before from anyone! Why are so you intent on distorting the Bible to match the false Catholic glorification of a young woman chosen for a specific task?

BTW, you still haven't answered why Jesus said that she was not His mother in Matthew 12. If she was so sinless and pure, He never would have publicly "disowned" her.
Luke 1:52 NVI
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.

The verb is in the plural, who are the kings who were dethroned and who are the humble who were exalted? Answer this question and your answer will help answer your question.

jimb

Premium Member
Here is what Scripture says about your "sinless" Mary...

Luke 1:26-36, " In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, a descendant of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary. The angel came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one [not "sinless one!], the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled by his words [why?] and began to wonder about the meaning of this greeting. [why?] So the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God! Listen: You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of his father David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and his kingdom will never end.” Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I have not been intimate with a man?” The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called the Son of God."

Nowhere does it say or even imply that Mary was sinless. In fact, it doesn't make that claim anywhere in the entire Bible. That mythology was added by the Catholic denomination.

jimb

Premium Member
Luke 1:52 NVI
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.

The verb is in the plural, who are the kings who were dethroned and who are the humble who were exalted? Answer this question and your answer will help answer your question.
Why are you changing the subject? The answer is obvious: because you cannot prove your claim that Mary was sinless!

jimb

Premium Member
Sinless and queen.
Wrong! Mary was just a normal teenager chosen by God for a specific task: to give birth to Jesus. She was not sinless and was never a queen. That is a Catholic mythological add-on that is never mentioned in God's Word.

She did a so-so job of her part in raising Jesus -- she lost track of Him when the family left Jerusalem and He later said that she was not His true mother, as I pointed out earlier. Nowhere in the Bible does it say (or even imply) that Mary was/is a queen!

You see, Protestants believe what the Bible says -- sola scriptura -- and have no need to create mythological add-ons that do not appear in Scripture.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Wrong! Mary was just a normal teenager chosen by God for a specific task: to give birth to Jesus. She was not sinless and was never a queen. That is a Catholic mythological add-on that is never mentioned in God's Word.

She did a so-so job of her part in raising Jesus -- she lost track of Him when the family left Jerusalem and He later said that she was not His true mother, as I pointed out earlier. Nowhere in the Bible does it say (or even imply) that Mary was/is a queen!

You see, Protestants believe what the Bible says -- sola scriptura -- and have no need to create mythological add-ons that do not appear in Scripture.
Catholics never claimed to rely solely on the Bible and the ancient Christians didn't, either. Sola scriptura is a Protestant invention. For centuries, the majority of Christians couldn't even read the Bible. It's actually not that important to the practice of Christianity. The Christian Bible took a few centuries to be finalized, and the Protestant Bible has the least amount of books/material of them all. So the original Christians didn't even have a Bible, really.

jimb

Premium Member
Catholics never claimed to rely solely on the Bible and the ancient Christians didn't, either. Sola scriptura is a Protestant invention. For centuries, the majority of Christians couldn't even read the Bible. It's actually not that important to the practice of Christianity.
Oh sure: the Bible is irrelevant! That gives your denomination the excuse to relegate it to second place so that all kinds of stuff can be added on, primarily to give the clergy control of people.

The five solas are critically important, and are all that are needed: 1) Scripture alone, 2) Christ alone, 3) faith alone, 4) grace alone, and 5) to the glory of God alone.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Oh sure: the Bible is irrelevant! That gives your denomination the excuse to relegate it to second place so that all kinds of stuff can be added on, primarily to give the clergy control of people.

The five solas are critically important, and are all that are needed: 1) Scripture alone, 2) Christ alone, 3) faith alone, 4) grace alone, and 5) to the glory of God alone.
I'm not a Christian. You're just screaming your dogma and bigotry and not replying to what I said.

Betho_br

The king's mother is always queen... How can you be so incoherent?

jimb

Premium Member
I'm not a Christian. You're just screaming your dogma and bigotry and not replying to what I said.
You talk about sola scriptura and the practice of Christianity so I made the assumption that you were a Christian.

I am not "screaming my dogma and bigotry" and I am not obligated to reply in the manner that you demand. Capiche?