• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Smoke

Done here.
This weekend I watched:

The Legend of Drunken Master (again)
Scorched (again)
The Great Buck Howard
Earl Scruggs: The Bluegrass Legend

All good.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh Lord, deliver me from The Road.

Noaidi, why would you even consider putting yourself through that AGAIN?

I know what color scheme they use in that movie (well, it's a bet):

MONOCHROMATIC.

Kathryn

Hey, this weekend my husband and I watched a really good documentary called "A Man Named Pearl."

It sounds boring but it was EXCELLENT. It was about a black man who moves into a white neighborhood in a small town in South Carolina, and hears that one of his neighbors says, "He won't keep his yard up." So - with no horticultural training, he develops over the course of thirty years, the most amazing topiary garden you have ever seen!

It has lots of interviews with friends, family, town people, etc. Besides being an amazing story about an amazing man, it's also a poignant look inside life in a very small, deep South town.

Excellent.

Dena

EAT PRAY LOVE

Shallow. Ridiculous. Rubbish.

That's what I've been hearing. But then a good friend of mine who is never the shallow type, who mentors women at her church said it wasn't too bad. I just can't see how it isn't a total mess. It sounds awful.

sunsplash

Freckled
Had a double feature day with the hubby last weekend and saw Inception and The Expendables. I really enjoyed Inception, though it's a film I need to see a few more times to pick up on and clarify everything...so much was explained so fast that I needed a rewind not offered at the theater! The Expendables was good, mindless fun and I appreciate a no-brainer action flick when done right. Though the IMAX revealed some poor computer graphics (think molten lava for blood and glistening machetes) I definitely enjoyed the film and it'll look just fine on my home tv when on dvd.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
To mark the end of our season of excavations at Arsuf (Apollonia) we've watched Ridley Scott's movie about the Crusaders kingdom of Jerusalem and the confrontation with Saladin's army, 'Kingdom of Heaven', we screened the movie inside the Crusaders fortress at night, what could be more fitting?
ironically the movie ends with Richard Lionheart marching on the third Crusade to the holy land, around Arsuf was the famous Battle of Arsuf, in which the Crusaders under Richard won an important battle against Saladin's forces.

DSC05569.jpg

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Recently saw The Education of Charlie Banks. I saw in the opening credits it was actually directed by Fred Durst, so I was kind of waiting to cringe, but it turned out to be a pretty respectable movie.

Smoke

Done here.
Anyone seen Jesus Camp?

Oh, yeah. Very upsetting. It drove my husband (who is a Christian, by the way) into a rage.

Last night I watched Cast a Giant Shadow with Kirk Douglas, John Wayne, and Yul Brynner, a fictionalized dramatization of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. It was pretty good. I think I would have enjoyed it even if it hadn't featured Yul Brynner, who was still hotter than a poker in 1966.

I also watched Windtalkers. Sad but good. I think the Ben Yahzee (Adam Beach) character could have been developed better; it was too much about Joe Enders (Nicolas Cage). Is it asking too much for a movie that's actually titled Windtalkers to show things from the Navaho perspective? Apparently so. Still, it was as good as one can expect from Hollywood, and worth watching.

Kathryn

To mark the end of our season of excavations at Arsuf (Apollonia) we've watched Ridley Scott's movie about the Crusaders kingdom of Jerusalem and the confrontation with Saladin's army, 'Kingdom of Heaven', we screened the movie inside the Crusaders fortress at night, what could be more fitting?
ironically the movie ends with Richard Lionheart marching on the third Crusade to the holy land, around Arsuf was the famous Battle of Arsuf, in which the Crusaders under Richard won an important battle against Saladin's forces.

DSC05569.jpg

What a great movie. I think I'll put that on my Netflix list to watch again.

Kathryn

Oh, yeah. Very upsetting. It drove my husband (who is a Christian, by the way) into a rage.

Last night I watched Cast a Giant Shadow with Kirk Douglas, John Wayne, and Yul Brynner, a fictionalized dramatization of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. It was pretty good. I think I would have enjoyed it even if it hadn't featured Yul Brynner, who was still hotter than a poker in 1966.

I also watched Windtalkers. Sad but good. I think the Ben Yahzee (Adam Beach) character could have been developed better; it was too much about Joe Enders (Nicolas Cage). Is it asking too much for a movie that's actually titled Windtalkers to show things from the Navaho perspective? Apparently so. Still, it was as good as one can expect from Hollywood, and worth watching.

Yum, old school Yul Brenner - doesn't get much better than that. I remember watching The King and I when I was a little girl, and nearly swooning with infatuation. I was in love with him and with the Captain in The Sound of Music. Mmmmmmm...

Oh, and Jack Lord from Hawaii 5-0. Lord help me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone seen 'The Road'? I read the book and wasn't impressed at all. Is the film any better?

If you're any kind of apocalypse-movie junkie (like me), you pretty much have to see it. :p

Don't expect a whole lot though: there are some serious plot holes throughout.