• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
"King Corn" - documentary that traces how commodity corn in the U.S. is grown and where it all ends up. It's very well done, presented in a light-hearted way by following two men who drive to Iowa, grow corn on one acre of land, and then follow their crop to the various ways it's distributed (silage for livestock, labs where it's chemically altered into things like HFCS and xantham gum).
Saw that one a couple of months ago :yes:

"Baraka" - Probably the best movie I've seen in a while - no joke. Mesmerizing, jaw-dropping, spectacular visuals. :bow:
Great piece, and great soundtrack, always memorable for the piece composed by Lisa Gerrard: 'Host of Seraphim'

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Saw that one a couple of months ago :yes:

Great piece, and great soundtrack, always memorable for the piece composed by Lisa Gerrard: 'Host of Seraphim'

The visuals and the soundtrack wove seamlessly together, sorta exemplifying the connectedness of human cultures, environment, the animal kingdom, etc.

"Baraka" isn't your "typical" movie by any means. When I was watching it, I never once lost any interest. It captivated and mystified me for the entire time. After I put the DVD back in it's case, I found that I couldn't stop thinking about it and marvelling at it in my memory. I'm still thinking about it.....

Wannabe Yogi

A single man.

What a great movie it was deep politically and philosophical. And it was filmed in a way I have never seen. It was a great great film.

Wannabe Yogi

That's on our queue list at Netflix. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :yes:

I think that after reading your posts. I would be willing to guess. You in particular would love this movie. Please tell me what you think. The movie was was taken from a novel written by a gay man who was into eastern philosophy in 1962. It makes this even more interesting that it was so ahead of its time. Notice the tones of color of the film. It changes with the mood of the main character. I will now shut up.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think that after reading your posts. I would be willing to guess. You in particular would love this movie. Please tell me what you think. The movie was was taken from a novel written by a gay man who was into eastern philosophy in 1962. It makes this even more interesting that it was so ahead of its time. Notice the tones of color of the film. It changes with the mood of the main character. I will now shut up.

The previews of the film hooked me instantly. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Yeah, don't tell me anything else. :D

Aquitaine

I'm thinking of watching The Magdaline Sisters again, it's been a long time since I first saw but I thought it was a good film.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
A Single Man is in my Netflix queue too - now I'm really interested in seeing it even more. Colin Firth is one of my favorite actors.

I'm about to go watch "Character." See details below. I'll let you guys know how it is.

Character

(Karakter)
1997R125 minutes
Dreverhaven (Jan Decleir), the city's most feared bailiff, is discovered with a knife through his heart, and a young, self-taught lawyer (Fedja van Huet) who just passed his exams was the last person to see the man alive. But what was his connection to the dead man? The police are mighty interested to know, and the young barrister is ready to tell the story of a lifetime. This Dutch-Belgian drama won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

60010225.jpg

This one is on it's way:

A Man Named Pearl

2006G78 minutes Angered by white residents' racist comments that he wouldn't "keep up his yard," Pearl Fryar teaches himself topiary sculpture and becomes the first African American in his Bishopville, S.C., neighborhood to win the coveted "yard of the month" award. This acclaimed documentary traces Fryar's inspiring story, as he grows into a legendary horticulturist, welcoming thousands of tourists eager to catch a glimpse of his stunning works of art.

70102771.jpg

I heard it was really good.

Has anyone seen either of these movies yet?

Smoke

Done here.
Watched Interview with the Vampire a couple of days ago, I still think it is the best 'vampires movie' of all time, the 2000s vampire movies don't come close, while focused on action they can't match Interview's characters, acting, story, depth and psychology.

Kirstin Dunst as Claudia really creeped me out. But I guess that's not inappropriate for a vampire movie.

Smoke

Done here.
Netflix thinks I'll give The Cats of Mirikitani 4.8 stars. Has anybody seen it?

I love the way Netflix creates categories for you. Lately we've had:

Witty BBC Comedies
Suspenseful Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Foreign Gay & Lesbian Comedies
Science & Nature Documentaries

Dena

I watched Creation last night. It was pretty good but it jumped around too much. Paul Bettany gives a good performance. I may be biased though, as I've always liked him.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Reader, with Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. thought provoking and intense.

"Post-WWII Germany: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman came to a mysterious end, law student Michael Berg re-encounters his former lover as she defends herself in a war-crime trial."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My review of Inception:
Picture me sticking my finger down my throat while hunched over the porcelain god.